Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Information Overload - IT Solutions?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
neversay
Lemon Slice

Information Overload - IT Solutions?

Postby neversay » October 15th, 2018, 4:32 pm

I run a business and juggle multiple complex projects but still need to find more efficient ways to deal handle the deluge of different types of information that needs processing, filing and searching. I have tried a mixture of different apps for various roles but they all have strengths and weaknesses and it's very difficult to find the 'sweet spot' to organise the variety of information (e.g. with features: multi-platform, usable, handles abstraction, visualisation, easy search, etc). On my devices right now:

- Note taking apps: notepad++, Google Docs, Dropbox paper (https://paper.dropbox.com/)
- Outlining apps: e.g. Dynalist (https://dynalist.io/)
- Filing apps: Evernote, Google Keep, OneNote, Pocket
- Filestores: Dropbox, Gdrive,
- To do list apps: ToDoIst (https://todoist.com)
- Mindmaps: mindmanager
- Email/calendar: Gmail, Google Calendar
- Comms: Slack, Skype, WhatsApp, Google Messages (for texts)
- Management: Trello
- Assistants: Alexa, Google Home
- News: Feedly, Netvibes
- Desktop: Sticky Notes (Microsoft), Fences, DropIt

I wondered what tools do others have in place to cope with large volumes of information?

Thanks,

N.

(PS I do try to limit the volume of information and appreciate that being disciplined in one tool can be more effective than looking for a silver bullet)
(PPS The site alternativeto.net is very useful for finding other tools if people are unaware of it: https://alternativeto.net/)

neversay
Lemon Slice

Re: Information Overload - IT Solutions?

Postby neversay » October 16th, 2018, 10:26 am

Moved to Computers Board (thanks).

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » October 16th, 2018, 12:44 pm

Q: These all seem to be applications used by you yourself. Unless you are a one-person business, are you also using collaboration tools (some items you mention are collaborative also) ?
Why the question? Because although collaboration adds its own overhead, it can remove from your shoulders much of your information (or is it just data?) overload.

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » October 16th, 2018, 1:02 pm

stewamax wrote:Q: These all seem to be applications used by you yourself. Unless you are a one-person business, are you also using collaboration tools (some items you mention are collaborative also) ?
Why the question? Because although collaboration adds its own overhead, it can remove from your shoulders much of your information (or is it just data?) overload.

Good observation. I have a small distributed/agile team and we keep track using slack, skype and slack, with some google docs and office files via dropbox. The diversity of projects I deal with means there's no consistent process flow that warrants heavier process tools with, as you say, the big overhead.

I guess the problem is the number and types of files that I receive (such as pdfs, word docs, excel sheets, urls) that need to be read, referenced and filed. It's the online and offline issue as well, so some files (like receipts) may arrive as links, images or pdfs. It's lassoing the wide variety of content without adding yet another clunky layer of complexity.

I just wondered if there were other high-volume information users here who are proud of their solutions? (perhaps Macs have this solved?)

N.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”