Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Anti-Virus protection software, again

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Anti-Virus protection software, again

Postby Nimrod103 » October 24th, 2018, 9:35 pm

What is the current view on anti-virus software. I am coming to the end of my subscription for McAfee, which I have used for several years, but I have now turned off my auto-renewal. Are free options just as effective?

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: Anti-Virus protection software, again

Postby mc2fool » October 24th, 2018, 10:03 pm

For which OS?

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » October 24th, 2018, 10:03 pm

Which operating system?

If it is Windows 10, its own built-in protection is adequate.

https://news.softpedia.com/news/best-wi ... 2949.shtml

Microsoft has continuously improved Windows Defender, and while there was a time when a third-party security product was absolutely mandatory on a Windows system, everything’s changed now.

Windows Defender not only that nearly tops antivirus tests, but it’s also the preferred choice for many Windows 10 users, making third-party security products less of a must-have.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » October 25th, 2018, 4:45 am

Nimrod103 wrote:
What is the current view on anti-virus software?

I am coming to the end of my subscription for McAfee, which I have used for several years, but I have now turned off my auto-renewal.

Are free options just as effective?

I've been using the free Comodo Internet Security Premium for years -

https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-se ... curity.php

Currently on a Windows 10 machine, but have used it with other operating systems. The installer needs to be told not to install Geek Buddy, but that can be removed separately if you forget to do so.

Once set up, CIS just sits there doing it's job with its built in Firewall and AntiVirus tools.

I choose to remove the desktop widget once it's up and running, which can be a bit of a visual pain if you don't want or need it, but the settings are flexible and allow you to do this.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » October 25th, 2018, 4:05 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:What is the current view on anti-virus software. I am coming to the end of my subscription for McAfee, which I have used for several years, but I have now turned off my auto-renewal. Are free options just as effective?

As can be seen from the chart above they are all paid or not paid much of a muchness for a punter.

I use Defender and Malwarebytes.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » October 25th, 2018, 7:10 pm

The free Microsoft software is probably more effective. Mozilla has said that most third party anti-virus packages ignore the Microsoft standards and disable the security built into Firefox, which leaves you at risk. Microsoft does not do that.

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Postby midnightcatprowl » October 25th, 2018, 8:58 pm

I've used Eset for many years - initially because it was recommended to me on the old Fool as being effective but having a particularly small footprint. The latter mattered at the time, it doesn't now but as it is not too expensive and I've never had virus problems, and it is not intrusive in the way some are, I stick with it. I'm still running Windows 8.1 on my main desktop machine, 10 on my laptop which is relatively new but only an emergency back up in case the desktop went down as I've no appetite for lugging a laptop around wherever I go. Sign probably of getting older, I like a nice big screen but, if I'm out and about, I'd rather manage with the iPhone screen than carry a laptop around but I have Eset on the laptop just the same as on the main machine as I find it easier to rely on the same system on both machines.

Once upon a time a long time ago I used Mcafee for a few months but it drove me mad and seemed to slow down everything.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”