Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Do IT techs still use static straps?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Do IT techs still use static straps?

Postby DiamondEcho » October 25th, 2018, 5:28 pm

A quick Q that I'm curious about.
A while ago an IT Tech came to replace the Heatsink on my CPU chip. To do so he took the mother-board out which required him to remove the various circuit-boards in it, unplug it all and so on. He didn't use a static strap. I asking him why that was as I was, and [from memory] he said there was no need to. From previous eperience on watching such work get done, the tech has always worn a static-strap when inside 'the box' that is connected to something earthed, hence it reduces/stops static discharge from PCBs<>fingers, and consequent damage.
Long-story short, one of the boards was damaged, and now they're working on replacing that [2 weeks later...]! This is a highly rated company at Which Magazine, so it's hard to know what to make of how this job has grown. Are static-straps no longer used, what might you make of this situation?
ps. When I was instructing the original work I did briefly boot the PC, and took screen-shots of the hard-ware set-up, and either sent them to the IT firm, or told them I'd accessed that info and quoted it to them. I still have that screen-shot. Right now there is no video out-put > monitor...
What started as a single crushed CPU heat-sink connector pin has gone to replacing the heat-sink > [it appears] the video-card having been damaged by the Tech.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: Do IT techs still use static straps?

Postby ReformedCharacter » October 25th, 2018, 5:53 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:A quick Q that I'm curious about.
A while ago an IT Tech came to replace the Heatsink on my CPU chip. To do so he took the mother-board out which required him to remove the various circuit-boards in it, unplug it all and so on. He didn't use a static strap. I asking him why that was as I was, and [from memory] he said there was no need to. From previous eperience on watching such work get done, the tech has always worn a static-strap when inside 'the box' that is connected to something earthed, hence it reduces/stops static discharge from PCBs<>fingers, and consequent damage.
Long-story short, one of the boards was damaged, and now they're working on replacing that [2 weeks later...]! This is a highly rated company at Which Magazine, so it's hard to know what to make of how this job has grown. Are static-straps no longer used, what might you make of this situation?
ps. When I was instructing the original work I did briefly boot the PC, and took screen-shots of the hard-ware set-up, and either sent them to the IT firm, or told them I'd accessed that info and quoted it to them. I still have that screen-shot. Right now there is no video out-put > monitor...
What started as a single crushed CPU heat-sink connector pin has gone to replacing the heat-sink > [it appears] the video-card having been damaged by the Tech.

Well I don't know if they still do but when I worked for a local authority IT dept. a few years ago we were certainly told to and were supposed to test them on a monthly basis and sign that we had done so. IIRC it was the memory modules that were supposed to be particularly susceptible to static damage. I still have one somewhere but to be honest I don't use it - but perhaps I should.

RC

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » October 25th, 2018, 6:19 pm

There is somewhat less need these days. That said I personally would advise they should be used. Not everything has built in protection on every pin. In simple terms because you can get away with it on most modern equipment, people assume that you will get away with it on all equipment. Bad assumption to make!

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » October 25th, 2018, 7:05 pm

When I upgraded a processor, the Intel video said wear gloves and did not mention or show an anti-static wrist band. I successfully used fresh latex rubber gloves. That should stop static getting to the chip, and keep crud off it. Touching the metal case of the PC should discharge any static, but you can build up more by moving your feet on the carpet. That might not matter though if you have insulating rubber soles.

uspaul666
2 Lemon pips

Postby uspaul666 » October 25th, 2018, 7:53 pm

I think there’s only a danger while holding chips in “free air”. If the engineer was changing the cpu, then a static strap would probably be more called for. Don’t know why but once they are in the circuit board they are supposed to be far less susceptible to static.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » October 25th, 2018, 9:53 pm

A tech doing component level repair in a workshop will generally use a strap, you can take it as a sign they know what they are doing.

A tech swapping boards out almost never will, if they handle the board properly by the edges theres really no need, though they should place the extracted board into an anti-static bag.

98% of the time it makes no difference so some people get blase.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » October 25th, 2018, 9:54 pm

uspaul666 wrote:I think there’s only a danger while holding chips in “free air”. If the engineer was changing the cpu, then a static strap would probably be more called for. Don’t know why but once they are in the circuit board they are supposed to be far less susceptible to static.

When ICs are connected into the circuit all the internal and external protection can work properly - this is usually diodes to ground /power(+VE) 'clamping' voltages within a certain range.
When they are out in free space it's easy to accidentally generate (literally) thousands of volts across pins
(ah memories of MIl STD 883...)

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » November 1st, 2018, 10:33 am

What started out as me ID'ing a broken push-pin on the heatsink a month ago, ie the PC booted and there was the expected video output to the monitor, and I have photos of the motherboard spec via DOS, and the motherboard splash-screen.

The situation after the tech's visit 2 weeks ago was:
'We have believe that we have identified a fault with your board andhave ordered a part to hopefully rectify it.
It is due to be delivered and we will then fit and test.
Once we are satisfied that everything is as it should be we will mark it ready for collection'

I managed to get another update from them, and TBH I can't interpret from that where the problem now being addressed lies; CPU, board, both?
'We have escalated this to our board engineer [xyz]
We purchased a new CPU to test on your board but same issue
We also have another board the same and your CPU and ours does not work on that'

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » November 1st, 2018, 9:30 pm

Apart from when working on the PSU itself, I have always left the PC plugged in (but switched off...) so that the case is earthed, and if I wasn't wearing a strap I would always touch the case with the flat of my hands get rid of any static before handling a board.
Whether this is really sensible or necessary (or even bad practice) I know not.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » November 1st, 2018, 10:43 pm

stewamax wrote:Apart from when working on the PSU itself, I have always left the PC plugged in (but switched off...) so that the case is earthed, and if I wasn't wearing a strap I would always touch the case with the flat of my hands get rid of any static before handling a board.
Whether this is really sensible or necessary (or even bad practice) I know not.

Ok thx, I think that's what they did here, the case was still wired > earth. + they worked with their wrists on the edge of the case [as I recall]. But taking boards out [no static bags] and laying them out all over dox, pens, metal clips on this big table, well I don't know...
Fact is tho I think they still 'blew boards' that were ok before their visit. I've had a constructive suggestion from them how to proceed, so by tom I'll have a refeshed idea of what the plan hopefully is.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » November 2nd, 2018, 5:39 pm

Update: They advise that there is a damaged 'track'* adjacent to the CPU socket on the mother-board, and that that will repair it. They accept that it might have been caused by the technician, and volunteer that he should have confirmed the PC could boot up with video output to monitor and so on before installing the new heat-sink. As mentioned they also know that I have photos of the monitor working and the PC booting etc They have offered to limit the total cost to the original home visit + the replacement heat-sink. Ie the bulk of the work has happened after that failed visit, subsequently at their workshop, and that is not being charged. They currently estimate it will be ready to collect by Tuesday.

If that is the case and the issue is resolved I'll confirm it here... fingers crossed!

* aka trace; = 'Small lines of copper or aluminum that connect each of the IC, capacitors, resistors, and other components on a circuit board together'.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”