Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

btinternet.com "Oath" adverts

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

btinternet.com "Oath" adverts

Postby Jonetc15 » October 28th, 2018, 5:47 pm

I can't figure out how to block adverts from "Oath" in my Inbox. Any guidance will be much appreciated.

TIA

Jon

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Re: btinternet.com "Oath" adverts

Postby chas49 » October 28th, 2018, 5:56 pm

I think we might need a bit more detail. What email client are you using (or which provider if it's webmail)? Are these emails something you subscribed to but no longer want, or spam?

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » October 28th, 2018, 6:01 pm

"Oath" is the owner of Yahoo! So...

I've no idea how to block them. Is this via the BT Yahoo! Mail online system?

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Postby Jonetc15 » October 28th, 2018, 10:06 pm

chas49 wrote:I think we might need a bit more detail. What email client are you using (or which provider if it's webmail)? Are these emails something you subscribed to but no longer want, or spam?

Many thanks for this and XFool’s replies. The adverts pop up in my regular/active/main on-line email account - xxxx@btinternet.com. While all my incoming emails are also forwarded to another email address (outlook.com), at least the Oath adverts don’t follow.

Any further thoughts will be most welcome, especially from other btinternet.com users.

Jon

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » October 29th, 2018, 9:31 am

What email client are you using? I use Thunderbird and see nothing like this. Are they emails or popups?

TJH

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » October 29th, 2018, 12:07 pm

Jonetc15 wrote:Any further thoughts will be most welcome, especially from other btinternet.com users.

There are two different emails for BT, one is the in-house BT Mail, the other (which I have) is the original BT Yahoo Mail. Like you, I have my BT Yahoo Mail set up to forward email to my main account. That one is a plain-vanilla Yahoo Mail account. I access both of them through a web browser.

Oath is the new owner of Yahoo, well, not so new - it happened over a year ago. As I recall, both BT Yahoo and plain Yahoo had pop-ups at the time to explain their new T&Cs. These had to be read and accepted, after which they never appeared again. Have you read and accepted yours? This notice may help explain...

Oath wrote:Q: Why am I receiving this notice?

A: We would like to inform you in advance that, as of 18 September 2017, Yahoo and Oath plan to share some user information within the Verizon family of companies which will enable us to integrate our business, allowing us to coordinate more and improve your experiences.
https://policies.yahoo.com/ie/en/yahoo/ ... noticefaq/

The other thing to be aware of is that both types of Yahoo webmail will include adverts on the page. Most are on the sides, but the top 'email' in your Inbox isn't a real email - it is an advert disguised to appear as an unread email. Sometimes that too was a notice from Oath.

I have just signed into my btinternet.com BT Yahoo mail using a browser to get to the webmail page (for the first time in ages). I see no sign of any 'Oath' pop-ups. As I said, you may still be getting them because you haven't accepted the Oath T&Cs yet.

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Postby Jonetc15 » October 29th, 2018, 4:08 pm

Breelander wrote:
Jonetc15 wrote:Any further thoughts will be most welcome, especially from other btinternet.com users.

There are two different emails for BT, one is the in-house BT Mail, the other (which I have) is the original BT Yahoo Mail. Like you, I have my BT Yahoo Mail set up to forward email to my main account. That one is a plain-vanilla Yahoo Mail account. I access both of them through a web browser.

Oath is the new owner of Yahoo, well, not so new - it happened over a year ago. As I recall, both BT Yahoo and plain Yahoo had pop-ups at the time to explain their new T&Cs. These had to be read and accepted, after which they never appeared again. Have you read and accepted yours? This notice may help explain...

A: We would like to inform you in advance that, as of 18 September 2017, Yahoo and Oath plan to share some user information within the Verizon family of companies which will enable us to integrate our business, allowing us to coordinate more and improve your experiences.

The other thing to be aware of is that both types of Yahoo webmail will include adverts on the page. Most are on the sides, but the top 'email' in your Inbox isn't a real email - it is an advert disguised to appear as an unread email. Sometimes that too was a notice from Oath.

I have just signed into my btinternet.com BT Yahoo mail using a browser to get to the webmail page (for the first time in ages). I see no sign of any 'Oath' pop-ups. As I said, you may still be getting them because you haven't accepted the Oath T&Cs yet.

Very many thanks indeed for a typically detailed and really helpful reply.I will follow the link and see whether I can do what you advise. I'll let you know how I get on...

All the very best

Jon

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Postby Jonetc15 » November 6th, 2018, 12:23 pm

Breelander wrote:There are two different emails for BT, one is the in-house BT Mail, the other (which I have) is the original BT Yahoo Mail. Like you, I have my BT Yahoo Mail set up to forward email to my main account. That one is a plain-vanilla Yahoo Mail account. I access both of them through a web browser.

I said that I would let you know how I got on - apologies for the delay.

I tried to follow the Oath instructions but (due to my incompetence, no doubt) I seemed to go round in circles. I use BT Yahoo and found that going to 'classic'/basic email the adverts didn't appear in the inbox. I mainly use this forwarding emails to my new outlook.com email address. At least I know from your comprehensive advice that the adverts are normal. Thank you very much indeed again for your trouble in writing at length.

All the very best

Jon

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”