Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Visual Studio Code for HTML editing

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
superFoolish
Lemon Slice

Visual Studio Code for HTML editing

Postby superFoolish » November 6th, 2018, 5:35 am

A recommendation from personal experience:

I have been successfully using Microsoft's free Visual Studio Code application for developing web applications for quite a few months, and have also recently started to use it for HTML editing too.

There's a neat add-in called Live Server, that runs a lightweight server on your localhost, which displays the page currently being edited, in your browser. It updates every time you save.

I know there are loads of alternative code-editing solutions (Sublime, Atom, Brackets, etc), but I am finding that Visual Studio Code is very configurable, well-supported (by both Microsoft and the community), and kills several birds with one stone for me.

VS Code is free for personal and commercial use.

VS Code does collect anonymous telemetry data by default, but I am pretty sure that when first installed, it presented a screen explaining this, with clear (easy) instructions on how to disable data collection. The instructions are also easily located in the VS Code FAQ.

superFoolish
Lemon Slice

Re: Visual Studio Code for HTML editing

Postby superFoolish » November 6th, 2018, 6:42 am

I forgot to mention that VS Code is available for Mac, Linux and Windows (although I don't know if the extension that I mentioned works on all platforms).

IanSmithISA
Lemon Pip

Postby IanSmithISA » November 6th, 2018, 8:07 am

Good morning,

Commercial use of the Community Edition (free) is restricted.

https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/community/
An unlimited number of users within an organization can use Visual Studio Community for the following scenarios: in a classroom learning environment, for academic research, or for contributing to open source projects.

For all other usage scenarios:
In non-enterprise organizations, up to five users can use Visual Studio Community. In enterprise organizations (meaning those with >250 PCs or >$1 Million US Dollars in annual revenue), no use is permitted beyond the open source, academic research, and classroom learning environment scenarios described above.

Even in a very small company it is very easy to exceed 5 users if there is any need for anyone to use it.

For example;

A small web business might want it on developer, support and sales machines.

A small bakery maintaining its own web site would probably have no need for it at all preferring a much simpler tool.

The last thing that you want is to have your business rely on it and then one day find that Microsoft have disabled it as they think that you have exceeded this limit.

However having coughed up the best part of £500 pretty much every other year for the Professional Editions it would have been nice when I needed it.

Bye

Ian

IanSmithISA
Lemon Pip

Postby IanSmithISA » November 6th, 2018, 10:30 am

Good morning

Ignore me, I am an idiot, I missed the Code part of the name. :oops:

Bye

Ian

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”