Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Manual configuration of internet connection

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Manual configuration of internet connection

Postby DiamondEcho » November 11th, 2018, 8:49 pm

I recently subscribed to Plusnet broadband DSL internet. When the router arrived AFAIR it was meant to effectively set itself up for use after plugging it in, but there were some problems and an engineer had to visit and complete the process for me, connecting my laptop. He brought a replacement router with him and when he left he took anything extraneous including the details of the Connection Settings.
I recently received back a repaired desktop PC and wish to similarly set it up to connect. I have visited the Plusnet website, logged in [on my laptop], and have noted down my Plusnet login name, password, Authentification Method, Server Type, IP Address, DNS Server IP addresses [3 of them] POP3, IMAP, SMTP and NTP Server details, and so on, and so on.

I have previously set up similar connections with the above range of info so am comfortable doing it. But can anyone tell me where to look on my Desktop within Windows 10 (Connection Settings?) to go and input this user info? For some reason I can't quite understand I am having difficulty locating this, and the various help pages at Plusnet do not appear to address this. Could it be buried down in 'Advanced Settings' or similar?

Thx!

For my reference/bookmarks: https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/
Where I found the above connection settings: https://portal.plus.net

XFool
The full Lemon

Re: Manual configuration of internet connection

Postby XFool » November 12th, 2018, 12:04 am

DiamondEcho wrote:I recently subscribed to Plusnet broadband DSL internet. When the router arrived AFAIR it was meant to effectively set itself up for use after plugging it in, but there were some problems and an engineer had to visit and complete the process for me, connecting my laptop. He brought a replacement router with him and when he left he took anything extraneous including the details of the Connection Settings.
I recently received back a repaired desktop PC and wish to similarly set it up to connect. I have visited the Plusnet website, logged in [on my laptop], and have noted down my Plusnet login name, password, Authentification Method, Server Type, IP Address, DNS Server IP addresses [3 of them] POP3, IMAP, SMTP and NTP Server details, and so on, and so on.

I have previously set up similar connections with the above range of info so am comfortable doing it. But can anyone tell me where to look on my Desktop within Windows 10 (Connection Settings?) to go and input this user info? For some reason I can't quite understand I am having difficulty locating this, and the various help pages at Plusnet do not appear to address this. Could it be buried down in 'Advanced Settings' or similar?

Surely, most of these will automatically be set up on the Plusnet router from your login details in the router and, if connecting by Ethernet, the Windows 10 PC should discover the router for itself? You should have a card from Plusnet giving details of the router admin login details (if needed) and WiFi password (if needed) - simply click on the wireless icon on the Windows Task Bar and go from there. POP3, IMAP, SMTP details need to be set up in your own desktop mail application software

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 12th, 2018, 10:25 am

If the router is turned on, and other systens are successfully connecting to the internet via it, then any new system would connect similarly.

I'd expect that to be either via ethernet cable or wifi. If the former depending on what is set in the netwotk settings for the interface concerned Id expect it to receive a DHCP IP address from the router.

If via wifi it will use the same widi access info existing systems use which as said above is usually written on the router itself or maybe on a small card that is with it originally.

Basically of cabled the interface configuration needs to be set to accept dynamically allocated (DHCP) addresses and away you go.

didds

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » November 12th, 2018, 2:46 pm

XFool wrote:Surely, most of these will automatically be set up on the Plusnet router from your login details in the router and, if connecting by Ethernet, the Windows 10 PC should discover the router for itself? You should have a card from Plusnet giving details of the router admin login details (if needed) and WiFi password (if needed) - simply click on the wireless icon on the Windows Task Bar and go from there. POP3, IMAP, SMTP details need to be set up in your own desktop mail application software

The PC is 'wired' [no wireless] and has never been connected to the internet in the UK. Hence AFAIUI it is set-up as if it is still in Middle-East, where we just moved home from, with those foreign ISP connection settings.
Since the connection settings on the PC were previously manually configured, I'm working on an assumption that they need to be manually re-configured for Plusnet. I previously switched the ethernet cable from the laptop>PC imagining that might be all that was required but no connection was apparent. But your point re: 'the Windows 10 PC should discover the router for itself?' would appear logical, perhaps I need to go to Internet Settings/Connection or similar and see if I can identify whather the Plusnet connection is is visible and being used... I'll check that out later, so thx for that.
Interesting point you make re: POP3 etc being for mail, that makes sense [belatedly of course :oops: ] perhaps it was in Outlook that I've previously seen those various settings listed, ie I'm confusing 'system settings' with e-mail specific settings.
Thx for the suggestions, appreciate it.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » November 12th, 2018, 2:53 pm

didds wrote:If the router is turned on, and other systens are successfully connecting to the internet via it, then any new system would connect similarly. I'd expect that to be either via ethernet cable or wifi. If the former depending on what is set in the netwotk settings for the interface concerned Id expect it to receive a DHCP IP address from the router.
If via wifi it will use the same widi access info existing systems use which as said above is usually written on the router itself or maybe on a small card that is with it originally.
Basically of cabled the interface configuration needs to be set to accept dynamically allocated (DHCP) addresses and away you go. didds

As per my reply to XFool, the PC is via ethernet [if I flip it over the cable from the laptop], as a pretty dated machine it has no wi-fi ability.
I've bolded your latter point as this sounds like something important for me to check when I have another go at doing this afternoon.
Appreciate the guidance, many thx! I'll come back here later to update with any progress.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 12th, 2018, 2:58 pm

Sorry DE - i was really busier earlier, and I am off for a hospital appointment very soon, but this liknk may be a starting point for you to check this stuff out

https://www.dummies.com/programming/net ... indows-10/

didds

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » November 12th, 2018, 3:06 pm

Great, I'll keep all these pointers in mind and read that link. Good luck for this pm eh!

xeny
Lemon Slice

Postby xeny » November 12th, 2018, 3:55 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:Great, I'll keep all these pointers in mind and read that link. Good luck for this pm eh!

didds' link is pretty good - the critical thing is to get to the IPV4 settings, and change the IP address and DNS settings to "Obtain automatically". I've never had sensible behaviour out of the "Validate settings upon exit" tickbox for what it is worth.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » November 12th, 2018, 6:35 pm

I believe the Plusnet router will be set up with the IP address 192.168.1.254

You can test this by typing the above address into your browser address bar. If this is correct, you should see the router configuration landing page. Probably some flavour of Technicolour TGnnnn router?

If that happens, you've found the router address. , so you just need to go to your PC's network settings and set that address as the Default Gateway. With DHCP set to automatic. You can set the DNS to the same address (in which case your PC will get DNS resolution via whatever the router settings are - presumably Plusnet's own DNS, or use Google or OpenDNS if you prefer. (That's probably a subject for a separate post once you've got the PC connected :) )

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 12th, 2018, 7:12 pm

If other systems are already connecting to the internet via the router, then the router is working fine - it would more likely be some localised issue on the PC.

https://192.168.1.254 and login (though you may need the router admin credentials too? cant remember with those thomson routyers - they are horrible pieces of kit I do recall that!) you can check what the wifi password is set to if you have lost it of course.

didds

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » November 13th, 2018, 12:06 am

didds wrote:If other systems are already connecting to the internet via the router, then the router is working fine - it would more likely be some localised issue on the PC.

https://192.168.1.254 and login (though you may need the router admin credentials too? cant remember with those thomson routyers - they are horrible pieces of kit I do recall that!) you can check what the wifi password is set to if you have lost it of course.

didds

Unless you've changed it, the default credentials are "admin" and the password printed on the bottom of the router. If you've changed this and forgotten what you chose, do a factory reset (https://support.gradwell.com/hc/en-gb/a ... 82n-router)

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » November 27th, 2018, 9:23 am

Just to close this issue out, I did manage to configure it, and am now successfully connected on my PC. The issue lay in correctly configuring the Port Settings. Thx to those who replied/gave me pointers to sort it out!

ps. Having resolved that, the issue has now moved onto getting in to e-mail or Windows Live Mail [aka Outlook] on my PC, but I'll take that to another topic as the considerations are different.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”