Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Raspberry Pi, Arduino, Coding and Robots for Kids

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
neversay
Lemon Slice

Raspberry Pi, Arduino, Coding and Robots for Kids

Postby neversay » November 23rd, 2018, 2:47 pm

My 8 year-old son is really into robots, has done some scratch programming, and I'm wondering about good projects we could do together. Does anyone have any suggestions on (i) whether to get a Raspberry Pi or Arduino. (ii) what kinds of projects we could undertake? (I've seen kits for cars etc)

Many thanks,

N.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: Raspberry Pi, Arduino, Coding and Robots for Kids

Postby Infrasonic » November 23rd, 2018, 3:30 pm

Good YouTube channel here that does a fair bit of SBC/robotics stuff...https://www.youtube.com/user/explaining ... /playlists

hiriskpaul
Lemon Quarter

Postby hiriskpaul » November 23rd, 2018, 5:58 pm

Raspberry Pi is a small Unix type computer with a full multitasking OS, command line interface as well as a GUI, loads of programming languages and applications. 20 years ago an equivalently specced computer would have cost thousands. Arduino is much lower level and is a C++ framework for programming microcontrollers. There is a simple boot loader that runs just a single programme, which you have to write on a PC and load through a USB connection. No OS and debugging is carried out by logging to the serial port (USB) connected to your PC. No multitasking or threading either. You need to simulate that in your programme.

I have been using Arduino compatible boards/chips to knock together cheap environmental detector prototypes and would thoroughly recommend it for anyone interested in building and controlling small circuits. You can easily breadboard everything, so no need to let your son loose with a soldering iron! Arduino is far simpler than other microcontroller frameworks and I would not be put off by the C++ aspect. The programmes your son would write are very simple and there are lots of examples online and built into the Arduino software.

You can undoubtedly do far more with a Pi, but you are much closer to the metal with Arduino and you will likely find it cheaper.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » November 23rd, 2018, 6:37 pm

neversay wrote:My 8 year-old son is really into robots, has done some scratch programming, and I'm wondering about good projects we could do together. Does anyone have any suggestions on (i) whether to get a Raspberry Pi or Arduino. (ii) what kinds of projects we could undertake? (I've seen kits for cars etc)

Many thanks,

N.

If you haven't already looked, there's a lot of projects on the Pi site:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/

RC

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 24th, 2018, 10:24 am

Surely an eight-year-old presented with a raspberry pi will soon get stuck into his own interests!

If you need to do something to get him started, download and build an open source project that fits his existing interests. He'll soon be hacking on it. If he has genuine interest and aptitude, he might serve a de-facto programming apprenticeship while he's still at school.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » November 24th, 2018, 11:28 am

Explaining Computers has a lot of information about small board PCs, including the Pis and Arduino. Worth a look IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/user/explainingcomputers/videos

RC

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » November 25th, 2018, 3:04 pm

Many thanks for your helpful replies @ReformedCharacter, @UncleEbenezer, @hiriskpaul, @Infrasonic.

I'm actually getting quite excited about spending some time with him on projects. Hopefully this will fire his interest, just like the ZX81 did to me just a few short years ago...

N.

jofc

Postby jofc » November 27th, 2018, 12:35 pm

I would second arduinos as much easier and simpler to understand & get started with.
They do come in various sizes.
I got a starter kit with 20+ sensors & bits from AliExpress (if you don't mind the wait) for less than £20
I also ordered a smaller 'mini' type board that I can plug into the breadboard you get for less than £2

We have used them for temperature sensors & how to output info to LCD
Also for running LEDs in patterns & responses to sensor inputs

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » November 27th, 2018, 12:40 pm

Thanks @jofc!

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 27th, 2018, 12:49 pm

Depending on where you live you might find there is a local facility like the library or tech hub that does free or cheap coding/Arduino workshops.
The ones aimed at kids tend to be free.
Very popular round my way, most of them seem to sell out pretty quick.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”