Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Buying a new TV

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
MrCake
Lemon Pip

Buying a new TV

Postby MrCake » November 24th, 2018, 3:15 pm

The last time I bought a TV was nearly 20 years ago, and even then I deliberatly bought an old technolgy one, for reasons not relevant here. Our current TV is a veteran chunky Sony Trinitron, which came from Mrs C when she decided to become Mrs C. We never use it for TV, only for DVDs and playback from a camcorder. However, I do occasionally watch BBC/Channel4 and ITV on my PC.

But I do now want to buy a new TV, mainly because for the first time in 10 years we will be spending Christmas at home instead of visiting my mother, where I and my kids get our TV fix for the year. Also, I would like to watch BBC iplayer etc programmes on it, Freeview (if that still exists) and use Skype with it (if that's possible). We are not interested in any subscription TV such as Sky, Netflix etc.

So what sort of TV do I need to buy to get all that - just a "Smart" TV that links to my internet connection? Or is it more complicated than that? And is there any other great feature that I should be looking for? Any good websites that explain things simply for TV duffers like me?

thanks

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: Buying a new TV

Postby kiloran » November 24th, 2018, 3:26 pm

I've no great expertise in this area, but you might want to consider:

1. What is the sound quality like? Modern flat-screen TVs have sound quality way down their list of priorities. Rear-firing speakers may give poor intelligibility, which may be improved (at a price) by a separate sound-bar
  2. If the TV includes software for iPlayer, etc, will it ever be updated? My TV has iPlayer, but this became useless when BBC updated iPlayer a few years ago. I now get iPlayer and other apps from a Roku stick https://www.roku.com/en-gb/ which does seem to update apps occasionally

--kiloran

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » November 24th, 2018, 5:56 pm

MrCake wrote:The last time I bought a TV was nearly 20 years ago, and even then I deliberatly bought an old technolgy one, for reasons not relevant here. Our current TV is a veteran chunky Sony Trinitron, which came from Mrs C when she decided to become Mrs C. We never use it for TV, only for DVDs and playback from a camcorder. However, I do occasionally watch BBC/Channel4 and ITV on my PC.

But I do now want to buy a new TV, mainly because for the first time in 10 years we will be spending Christmas at home instead of visiting my mother, where I and my kids get our TV fix for the year. Also, I would like to watch BBC iplayer etc programmes on it, Freeview (if that still exists) and use Skype with it (if that's possible). We are not interested in any subscription TV such as Sky, Netflix etc.

So what sort of TV do I need to buy to get all that - just a "Smart" TV that links to my internet connection? Or is it more complicated than that? And is there any other great feature that I should be looking for? Any good websites that explain things simply for TV duffers like me?

thanks

Freeview exists and is the default system.

I would suggest making a list of the things you want and going to somewhere like your local Euronics shop or Richer Sounds, where the staff are more likely to know what they are talking about than in Currys/PC World, and have a look at what is avilable that will do what you want.

But basically, yes, you want a smart TV which should all come with internet connection.

As Kiloran says, their sound is usually terrible as there is nowhere to put a decent speaker, so you will either have to connect to your home stereo if it is convenient, or buy a soundbar to get decent sounds.

No idea about Skype as I haven't used it for years.

Slarti

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 24th, 2018, 6:04 pm

MrCake
Lemon Pip

Postby MrCake » November 25th, 2018, 2:42 pm

Thanks all. I will do a bit more research now on models and prices etc. Will have to buy it from somewhere that not only puts it all together bit also takes away the Trinitron.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » November 25th, 2018, 5:19 pm

MrCake wrote:Thanks all. I will do a bit more research now on models and prices etc. Will have to buy it from somewhere that not only puts it all together bit also takes away the Trinitron.

I think that most of the larger companies do, but they will probably charge you a disposal fee.

Slarti

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » November 25th, 2018, 6:38 pm

kiloran wrote:I've no great expertise in this area, but you might want to consider:

1. What is the sound quality like? Modern flat-screen TVs have sound quality way down their list of priorities. Rear-firing speakers may give poor intelligibility, which may be improved (at a price) by a separate sound-bar
  2. If the TV includes software for iPlayer, etc, will it ever be updated? My TV has iPlayer, but this became useless when BBC updated iPlayer a few years ago. I now get iPlayer and other apps from a Roku stick https://www.roku.com/en-gb/ which does seem to update apps occasionally

--kiloran

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the problems people have with sound is actually as a result of bad sound design in the programming. I can quite happily watch films or listen to speech based podcasts on my phone's tiny speakers and my hearing isn't brilliant, and the sound quality is surprisingly good. I very occasionally have to flick subs on on my tv to pick up a single inaudible sentence.

The Apps on a 1080 flat screen I bought about 8 years ago fizzled out about 3 or 4 years later. Apps on a 4k tv bought 4 years ago still going strong, in fact they are multiplying... The smart bit of the tv effectively came free along with the 4k bit and the wireless bit on a black friday. I wouldn't have paid for them based on the first tv, but I am glad I have them and if they ever do go kaput it isn't the end of the world to replace them.

Size, cost and a decent picture...

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » November 25th, 2018, 7:40 pm

Buy any TV, add a Chromecast for thirty quid and cast everything to your tv from your phone or tablet. Avoids any problems with TVs that dont get software updates and ties you to nothing. Cast your pictures onto the tv screen too.

fuiseog

Postby fuiseog » November 26th, 2018, 8:44 pm

I think it's worthwhile looking into TV's in Which magazine. When I recently looked into it I was impressed with how quickly their advice brought me up to speed.
Local libraries normally have copies and very often can give you access to online content.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”