Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Nexus 5 boot loop.

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Nexus 5 boot loop.

Postby Infrasonic » November 28th, 2018, 4:07 pm

Joining my SSD failure last week, last night my Nexus 5 decided to boot loop on me during an app update.
So today I tried a cache wipe, no joy. Oh dear...
Then a full factory reset and data wipe, which after an age booting finally worked.

So let's see how good the Google servers are at backups now, I've run full sync for years.
I've logged in to my Google master account OK, currently waiting for all the app updates to sort themselves out and then I'll see what the lay of the land is. Play store lists all the third party apps previously installed, how much of their settings get saved is another matter.
I may be some time...

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: Nexus 5 boot loop.

Postby Infrasonic » November 29th, 2018, 1:14 pm

OK not too bad on the Google apps, just had to sign in to most of them and flip them from wifi only to mobile data as I've got unlimited 4G.
Some had pretty much preserved all the other settings, others less so, I had to reset from defaults.
This is in Marshmallow 6.0.1

It decided to generate some random password for the wifi hotspot facility, so I had to put that back to the old one, and Messages (SMS) didn't save text history, despite it being there in messages for web which wouldn't connect until I signed out and re-synced, losing the messages...
I know more recent versions of Android back them up, just seems odd that with the web facility engaged it doesn't do it. WhatsApp reinstalled full history from the Google Drive backup, somewhat ironically...

It showed me my top 10 used third party apps and re-installed them from one click, which was good.
Some of the other apps had completely disappeared, no longer available, but many had been duplicated by updates to the Android OS anyway, so no great loss and beneficial from a resources perspective.

After that it was going through my Play Store library choosing which previous apps were essential. Swapped out some of the bloatware for lite equivalents, so Twitter/FB/Messenger are all lite versions now.

Overall the phone is way quicker, more RAM headroom, and it doesn't seem to be getting as hot.
I'll just have to avoid the temptation to fill it up with rarely used apps now...

I printed off the various help pages that showed all the variables for recovery, easier to read than a screen and there for future use now.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”