Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Chrome adverts (again)

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
csearle
Lemon Quarter

Chrome adverts (again)

Postby csearle » December 9th, 2018, 2:30 pm

Hi team,

Either yesterday or today I've started getting new-window popups when running Chrome, sometimes at the very start but sometimes after a little while (each has its own chrome.exe process). My home (and new-tab) page is a file I keep on disk with hyperlinked logo-images of my most used sites so AFAIK no scripts are in that file (I wrote it). All extensions switched off.

I really can't see why these annoying windows have started appearing (I may have changed something but, if I did, I must'v'e been in a stupor as I can't remember anything). Sometimes when I click the cross to get rid of them another appears in its place.

Here is a screen shot, albeit with TLF as the background rather than my opening page.

My Settings->Advanced->Content settings->Popups & redirects is set to "Blocked" and my Settings->Advanced->Content settings->Ads is set to "Blocked on sites that show intrusive or misleading ads" which seems to be the only setting other than "Allowed"

Any ideas how I can get get back to where I was and rid myself of these very annoying adverts in an easy way?

Thanks,
Chris
(Running W7 Home Premium on an HP Pavillion PC clone)

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: Chrome adverts (again)

Postby ReformedCharacter » December 9th, 2018, 2:51 pm

Have you done a full virus scan since the pop-ups appeared? It might be a good idea.

RC

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » December 9th, 2018, 3:09 pm

To get rid of them in Chrome, I think you need to export your bookmarks (and any other settngs you want to save). uninstall Chrome and delete your Chrome profile before re-installing a fresh copy of Chrome and then restoring the bookmarks.

If that doesnt work you probably just have to go back to a restore point in Windows.

I have started running Firefox because these days it is faster and it doesnt run Flash any more which is where many of these nasties creep in.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » December 9th, 2018, 3:17 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:Have you done a full virus scan since the pop-ups appeared? It might be a good idea.
Thanks, yes good idea. I'll try that first.

Lanark wrote:To get rid of them in Chrome, I think you need to...
Ok, I'll do that as resort #2. Thanks.

Chris

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » December 9th, 2018, 6:11 pm

I've started getting the odd page that pops up, accompanied by a message from AWG that it is malware. It seems to happen when a webpage is opened from an Email. Sometimes of its own volition.

TJH

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » December 9th, 2018, 6:50 pm

Ok so I ran the anti-virus with no discoveries. I have now uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome. Waiting to see if the pop-ups have gone. :)

Chris

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » December 9th, 2018, 8:09 pm

Still waiting. So far, wince, so good. C.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » December 10th, 2018, 7:23 am

My Settings->Advanced->Content settings->Popups & redirects is set to "Blocked" and my Settings->Advanced->Content settings->Ads is set to "Blocked on sites that show intrusive or misleading ads" which seems to be the only setting other than "Allowed"

The Google Chrome settings are ' good advertiser friendly' not a universal ad blocker, for which you'd need something like uBlock Origin/Ghostery extensions or a roll your own solution with hosts file. There's much more granularity within the settings on the ad blocker extensions, including individual element customisation for bits of persistent Javascript.

Even then there is a constant cat and mouse game going on to get round the ad blockers, hence the frequent updates to them.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » December 13th, 2018, 7:17 am

Infrasonic wrote:The Google Chrome settings are ' good advertiser friendly' not a universal ad blocker, for which you'd need something like uBlock Origin/Ghostery extensions or a roll your own solution with hosts file. There's much more granularity within the settings on the ad blocker extensions, including individual element customisation for bits of persistent Javascript.

Even then there is a constant cat and mouse game going on to get round the ad blockers, hence the frequent updates to them.
Thanks, I was just a bit put out by the sudden appearance of these pesky, persistent ads after years of undisturbed browsing.

Anyway, Lanark's suggestion of uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome appears to have worked wonderfully. :)

Cheers,
Chris

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » December 13th, 2018, 3:30 pm

very interesting...literally yesterday I started getting 'ads' when using Chrome

NOT while using EDGE...???

after some investigation I discovered that Chrome has 'removed'AD blockplus and IU orig

I have now RE INSTALLED both and ads no more

I did NOT do anything!! to remove the ad blockers!!!

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » December 13th, 2018, 3:39 pm

Which version of Chrome?

As of yesterday
The stable channel has been updated to 71.0.3578.98 for Windows, Mac, and Linux, which will roll out over the coming days/weeks.

There look to have been a few updates recently so maybe that changed something?

If you open this Chrome page (chrome://settings/help), it will check for updates and install the latest stable version. (for me on Windows 10, 64-bit that's Version 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit))

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Postby todthedog » December 14th, 2018, 6:52 am

Try having a look at 'Brave', you can still use google as a search engine, just blocks ads no add ons. I just got fed up with chrome. Good luck

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”