Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Win 10 ver 1809

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
k333
2 Lemon pips

Win 10 ver 1809

Postby k333 » December 9th, 2018, 6:59 pm

I still haven't received this upgrade, and checking for upgrades shows nothing. It also won't let me turn the auto-upgrade setting on. Has anyone else noticed this?

- K

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Re: Win 10 ver 1809

Postby richfool » December 9th, 2018, 10:29 pm

I think they reverted to 1803 because of problems with 1809.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » December 9th, 2018, 11:19 pm

k333 wrote: It also won't let me turn the auto-upgrade setting on. Has anyone else noticed this?

I'm not clear what you mean by "turn the auto-upgrade setting on". Updates are delivered automatically by default, a Features Update (aka upgrade) is no different from any other update in this respect. Pro does have settings to defer features updates, but they are off by default. Can you explaing what settings you are talking about?

k333 wrote:I still haven't received this upgrade, and checking for upgrades shows nothing....

richfool wrote:I think they reverted to 1803 because of problems with 1809.

Partially true, but not any longer.

What actually happened was that 1809 was released on 2nd October and anyone who checked for updates would get it. Then a bug was found that under rare circumstances could delete the user's documents during the upgrade. 1809 was immediately withdrawn and MS reverted to 1803 until it was fixed. That bug has now been fixed and 1809 was re-released.

Microsoft wrote:On November 13, 2018, we will begin the re-release of the Windows 10 October Update (version 1809), Windows Server 2019, and Windows Server, version 1809. We encourage you to wait until the feature update is offered to your device automatically.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... te-history

As a result of the problems first time out MS are being extra cautions second time round. The rollout is starting off very slowly. As yet, I have seen no verifiable reports of anyone receiving 1809 automatically through Windows Update.

Microsoft wrote:While the April Update had the fastest Windows 10 update rollout velocity, we are taking a more measured approach with the October Update, slowing our rollout to more carefully study device health data. We will offer the October Update to users via Windows Update when data shows your device is ready and you will have a great experience... For those advanced users seeking to install the update early by manually using “Check for updates” in settings, know that we are slowly throttling up this availability, while we carefully monitor data and feedback.
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperi ... 18-update/

So while the rollout has resumed, not everyone should expect to get it straight away, even if you check for updates.

In addition, there are a number of specific machines where there are Known Issues with 1809, in particular machines with certain Intel HG Graphics. These machines are blocked from receiving 1809 until MS resolve the issues. This is nothing new, 1803 and earlier rollouts have such blocks in place too, but the issues were eventually resolved. For a list of the current blocking issues for 1809 see the first link above.

As such, Microsoft's advice is to wait patiently until the update is offered to you. It could be a matter of weeks, but may be months before you see it offered.

production100
2 Lemon pips

Postby production100 » December 10th, 2018, 11:18 am

I have 1809 and frankly I cannot see anything different from before. Apart from it breaking my raid setup and uninstalling Solitaire, which every windows 10 feature update does every 6 months.

There is a change to the snipping tool to say it is moving in a future update, and to try Snip & Sketch - not sure this is a change with 1809.

They have still not resolved the fact that there are two profiles for network access, one of which has internet access and one which does not. When the pc starts you never know which it will choose and you have to disable the ethernet card and re-enable it several times until is chooses the one with internet access.

If you delete the one that does not have internet access it immediately reinstates it. If you uninstall the ethernet card and then restart the pc and reinstall it then Windows 10 immediately re-creates the two network access profiles.

Frustrating and annoying - especially when you are in a hurry to do something that needs the internet.

Networking is still a problem - sometimes pc's show up on the network and sometimes they do not. For no apparent reason.

Windows 10 gets more and more difficult to live with - I just wish they had left windows 7 alone so I could go back to it. I would change to Linux, but I use several programmes that will not work on Linux.

Microsoft need to get a grip. Stop feature updates until they get windows 10 actually working properly. Nobody would normally do operating system changes every 6 months. Why does Microsoft think they should.

Chris

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » December 10th, 2018, 11:59 am

Am I safe to install 1803 now then? I have been sitting on it (downloaded, but not installed) for a few weeks now.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » December 10th, 2018, 4:22 pm

richfool wrote:Am I safe to install 1803 now then? I have been sitting on it (downloaded, but not installed) for a few weeks now.

If that isn't a typo for 1809, then yes. 1803 is on what was previously known as the Current Branch for Business and is now called the Semi-Annual Channel, meaning it considered by Microsoft as ready for use in by their Enterprise customers.

1803 was put on the Semi-Annual Channel on 10th July this year. 1809 is only on the Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted) at the moment.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/w ... nformation
(dates are in US date format)

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » December 10th, 2018, 4:49 pm

production100 wrote:Networking is still a problem - sometimes pc's show up on the network and sometimes they do not. For no apparent reason.

Open Services and make sure that 'Function Discovery Provider Host' and 'Function Discovery Resource Publication' are both set for Automatic on all PCs (a delayed start should be sufficient).

For a network that includes legacy devices such as PCs running XP, some older NAS devices, or a usb shared out by your router then you may also need to turn on the SMB 1.0 client in 'Turn Windows features on or off'.

production100
2 Lemon pips

Postby production100 » December 10th, 2018, 4:54 pm

Breelander wrote:
Open Services and make sure that 'Function Discovery Provider Host' and 'Function Discovery Resource Publication' are both set for Automatic (a delayed start should be sufficient).

I have done that on the main pc, but have not checked the laptops. I will do so.

Thanks

Chris

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » December 10th, 2018, 5:03 pm

Breelander wrote:
richfool wrote:Am I safe to install 1803 now then? I have been sitting on it (downloaded, but not installed) for a few weeks now.

If that isn't a typo for 1809, then yes. 1803 is on what was previously known as the Current Branch for Business and is now called the Semi-Annual Channel, meaning it considered by Microsoft as ready for use in by their Enterprise customers.

1803 was put on the Semi-Annual Channel on 10th July this year. 1809 is only on the Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted) at the moment.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/w ... nformation
(dates are in US date format)

Yes, it was 1803 I was referring to. Thanks. Now installed, seemingly without incident. No signs of 1809, so far.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » December 10th, 2018, 5:19 pm

richfool wrote:Yes, it was 1803 I was referring to. Thanks. Now installed, seemingly without incident. No signs of 1809, so far.

That's par for the course. The rollout of 1809 is starting slowly after MS's experiences with their 'false start' in October, as I said in my first reply on this thread. None of my 1803 machines can see it yet either.

wickham
Lemon Slice

Postby wickham » December 12th, 2018, 5:22 pm

production100 wrote:I have 1809 and frankly I cannot see anything different from before.

Windows 10 gets more and more difficult to live with - I just wish they had left windows 7 alone so I could go back to it. I would change to Linux, but I use several programmes that will not work on Linux.

Microsoft need to get a grip. Stop feature updates until they get windows 10 actually working properly. Nobody would normally do operating system changes every 6 months. Why does Microsoft think they should.

Chris

I'm getting v 1809 right now on my other PC. It started downloading at 1.00pm and it's just got to 84% "working on updates" at 5.19pm and much of the time I've been unable to use the pc. Microsoft really must stop, reduce or amend this long installation time.

It installed v1809 first, then 1803 and Malicious Software removal Tool then restarted and it doesn't tell me right now the detail of what it's doing.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » December 12th, 2018, 5:56 pm

wickham wrote:
production100 wrote:I have 1809 and frankly I cannot see anything different from before.

Chris

I'm getting v 1809 right now on my other PC. It started downloading at 1.00pm and it's just got to 84% "working on updates" at 5.19pm and much of the time I've been unable to use the pc. Microsoft really must stop, reduce or amend this long installation time.

It installed v1809 first, then 1803 and Malicious Software removal Tool then restarted and it doesn't tell me right now the detail of what it's doing.

You can update manually via the W10 MCT route on a USB flash drive if you want. I did an in place upgrade to 1709 that way last year, went pretty smooth and was way quicker than the traditional download updates method. To block automatic updates switch to metered connection on either ethernet or wifi.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/softwar ... /windows10

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » December 12th, 2018, 7:22 pm

I have 1809, the control panel crashes every time I open it, I'm toying up whether to roll back to 1803 or just wait for a fix.

k333
2 Lemon pips

Postby k333 » December 14th, 2018, 4:06 pm

Firstly the auto-upgrade is in Windows Upgrade/Advanced Options. If I turn it on, it turns it off again straight away.

Thanks for all the replies. It seems I am far from alone in not having 1809 yet There's no special rush to get it ... it was just that I would have expected it by now and was checking nothing was wrong.

- K

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » December 14th, 2018, 10:09 pm

k333 wrote:Firstly the auto-upgrade is in Windows Upgrade/Advanced Options. If I turn it on, it turns it off again straight away.

Ah, I think I know what you mean now. Your wording had me puzzled (upgrade vs. update). I assume you are talking about:
Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Advanced options > Automatically download updates, even over metered connections

That setting doesn't do quite what you think it does. Win10 will always automatically check for updates regardless of whether you have set a metered connection or not. By default it will not start the download if you have set a metered connection. That switch tells it to begin the download automatically over a metered connection.

Yes, I have seen some report that they cannot toggle that switch. But don't worry, it doesn't have any effect on finding new updates, only on what to do with them once they are found if you have a metered connection. If you don't use a metered connection that switch has no effect.

It seems I am far from alone in not having 1809 yet There's no special rush to get it ... it was just that I would have expected it by now and was checking nothing was wrong.

Microsoft appear to be slowly ramping up the rollout. I am seeing an increasing number of users report that clicking 'Check for updates' finds 1809. One or two are now reporting 1809 being found and delivered by the automatic check, but those are the exception (at present).

There are no really significant changes from 1803 to 1809, so you are not missing anything important. My advice would be to wait until it is delivered automatically. In the mean time, your 1803 will continue to receive all the regular security fixes and patches with the monthly cumulative updates.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 15th, 2018, 10:34 am

Well I've had 1809 on my W10Pro desktop for a couple of days now and the only difference I've noticed is that left-clicking a folder within the File Explorer taskbar right-click menu no longer works.

That is, I have File Explorer pinned to the taskbar. Left-clicking on it brings up Explorer with the Quick access view (as it always did) and right-clicking on it brings up a menu of the pinned folders Quick access shows plus Recent folders.

Before 1809 left-clicking on one of those would open an Explorer window on that folder, but now it does nothing (other than dismissing the menu) and to open the folder as before I have to right-click on it and select Open. Looks like a bug to me.

P.S. control panel works fine for me....

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » December 15th, 2018, 12:23 pm

mc2fool wrote:Well I've had 1809 on my W10Pro desktop for a couple of days now and the only difference I've noticed is that left-clicking a folder within the File Explorer taskbar right-click menu no longer works....

Still works for me, so it's not a specifically 1809 issue.

These lists are called Jump Lists, there's one for each app. You'll also see them if you right-click on an app in the Start menu All Apps list (if you want to test that, File Explorer is under 'Windows System'). Sometimes these jump lists get broken. Clearing them is often the only way to get them working again.

Two ways to clear jump lists, the first will clear ALL jump lists for ALL apps. In Settings > Personalisation > Start turn off 'Show recently opened items on Jump Lists in Start or the taskbar'. Turn it back on again and jump list will rebuild as you use the PC. This method will not remove the pinned items from Quick Access or the pinned items for any other app.

You could try deleting the jump list for File Explorer. NB: this will remove all items from the right-click list for File Explorer including those pinned to Quick Access, so note down any you need to remember so you can pin them to Quick Access again.

The jump lists are kept in a folder that is so well hidden that you cannot navigate to it in File Explorer. The only way to see the contents of the folder is to explicitly type its path into File Explorer's address box. The path is:
%appdata%\microsoft\windows\recent\automaticdestinations\

The jump list for File Explorer is:
f01b4d95cf55d32a.automaticDestinations-ms

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 15th, 2018, 12:56 pm

Breelander wrote:Sometimes these jump lists get broken. Clearing them is often the only way to get them working again.

Thanks, but neither of those suggestions worked. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the list itself, everything is there and using right-click and Open (or Properties) does the right thing. It's just left-click that seems to have stopped working.

Hmmm...that's not the only place ... I thought I'd take a look at the event logs and right-clicking This PC and clicking on Manage also does nothing (other than dismissing the menu). Clicking on other items in that menu works fine.

The Windows Logs show nothing seemingly relevant.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » December 15th, 2018, 4:06 pm

mc2fool wrote:Hmmm...that's not the only place ... I thought I'd take a look at the event logs and right-clicking This PC and clicking on Manage also does nothing (other than dismissing the menu). Clicking on other items in that menu works fine.

First, try a Restart (not Shut down) to see if it's just a temporary glitch. If you can't click on that, then click (right or left) anywhere on the desktop then use Alt+F4 on the keyboard, select Restart with the arrow keys then use the Enter key.

If you still have a problem, is it a mouse or a touchpad?

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 15th, 2018, 5:59 pm

Breelander wrote:First, try a Restart (not Shut down) to see if it's just a temporary glitch. If you can't click on that, then click (right or left) anywhere on the desktop then use Alt+F4 on the keyboard, select Restart with the arrow keys then use the Enter key.

If you still have a problem, is it a mouse or a touchpad?

Actually I've already done several restarts (and a couple of shutdowns) over the past couple of days, for various reasons, but I've just tried another restart and it makes no difference.

It's a mouse and note that the two things I've mentioned so far (left-click in File Explorer jump list and This PC->Manage) are the only glitches I've noticed, and I've been using the PC quite a bit for various things. I most certainly don't have a general left-click problem, or problem with the mouse in any other way.

I did find this, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... a59?auth=1, which is the same This PC->Manage issue but on a quick try with ShellExView it didn't help. I'm turning off the desktop for the day now, so I'll faff with it all more tomorrow....

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”