Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

O2 Network

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: O2 Network

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 20th, 2021, 10:39 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:<sigh>
In the good old days people were amazed when they could get coverage outside major cities
:)

At the time you wrote that, I had no signal.

I was on a train, much of whose route is without signal!

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » August 26th, 2021, 4:10 pm

XFool wrote:"Sorry, we're carrying out some upgrade work in this area.

Everything should be back to normal by 8pm on Saturday 28th August 2021.
"

All the scaffolding was taken down this morning. Two days early? :)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » August 26th, 2021, 5:07 pm

XFool wrote:All the scaffolding was taken down this morning. Two days early? :)

Naaaah, they gave up and went home for the long weekend. :)

BJ

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » May 16th, 2022, 9:09 pm

I don't believe it! :x

"Sorry, we're carrying out some upgrade work in this area.

We’re carrying out some upgrade work to help improve our network. While we do this, you might have some trouble with your calls, texts and data but we're working as fast as we can to get things sorted.

Everything should be back to normal by 8pm on Wednesday 8th June 2022.
"

"8th June"? After all the work that has already been expended on this base station over the last 3 or 4 years how can it possibly need even more work?
It seems to be like the painting of the old Forth Rail bridge. No sooner have they finished 'upgrading' or whatever than it's time to start all over again.

Should I offer to lend them a hand this time? I'm not good with heights but surely, every little helps...

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 12th, 2022, 12:14 pm

XFool wrote:I don't believe it! :x

I do! :(

XFool wrote:"Sorry, we're carrying out some upgrade work in this area.

We’re carrying out some upgrade work to help improve our network. While we do this, you might have some trouble with your calls, texts and data but we're working as fast as we can to get things sorted.

Everything should be back to normal by 8pm on Wednesday 8th June 2022.
"

Well, 8th June has come and gone.

"Sorry, a phone mast close to you isn't working as well as we would expect

Our engineers are carrying out some checks to investigate issues in this area. While we do this, you might have some trouble with your calls, texts and data, sorry. We will update you by Friday 24th June 2022.
"

Uh, huh...

(This time around I've not seen any sign of any physical work being carried out on this mast so far.)

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 13th, 2022, 11:35 am

XFool, that'll be the influence of the tie-up with Virgin Media. I expect it'll only get worse.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 13th, 2022, 3:05 pm

Pretty unlikely as Virgin are broadband only, and this is all RAN work
Virgin Mobile is actually carried on ..other networks

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 13th, 2022, 4:06 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Pretty unlikely as Virgin are broadband only, and this is all RAN work

The long and moving timescales. The paucity of information.

And, erm, the difficulty of contact with them - like a supposed customer support number that hangs up on me after going through a bunch of menu options, and a complaints email address that doesn't bother to reply. All smells of Virgin's Kafka-inspired approach to customers.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 13th, 2022, 4:17 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:Pretty unlikely as Virgin are broadband only, and this is all RAN work

And, erm, the difficulty of contact with them - like a supposed customer support number that hangs up on me after going through a bunch of menu options, and a complaints email address that doesn't bother to reply. All smells of Virgin's Kafka-inspired approach to customers.

I couldn't possibly comment !

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 14th, 2022, 10:27 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:

I take it back!

Just had a call back from them this morning, following my email of May 30th to complaints. A response in just over two weeks, and the lady was entirely helpful, too. Not at all Virgin-like.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 5th, 2022, 10:04 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:

I take it back!

Just had a call back from them this morning, following my email of May 30th to complaints. A response in just over two weeks, and the lady was entirely helpful, too. Not at all Virgin-like.

Seems I spoke too soon. The immediate problem I complained of hasn't been fixed: I still can't log in to their broken system. In today's O2-land, that means that despite having set up a direct debit, I can't pay the last bill they sent, and they've now cut off most of my services.

Not quite at Virgin's level yet, given that I had a response from complaints. But heading that way.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 6th, 2022, 12:14 am

mc2fool wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:And I got a text from O2 apologising for the outage and promising a credit to my account in compensation. A very pleasant contrast to certain others.

Hmmm ... I didn't get anything like that. Or anything at all in fact. Did you register a complaint or something?

Having since that exchange moved from being a small-biz customer to a personal customer, I can see the difference. O2 are (or at least were) a decent provider to small biz - I was with them (or originally cellnet) for over 20 years. But their domestic operation is pure nightmare. Not at all recognisable as the same company.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » May 10th, 2023, 6:50 pm

It would be too, too boring if I detailed every drop out at my local mast! But I can't help pointing out that the scafolding has been up and down more than once since my last missive.

The latest: My trusty old 2G Nokia dropped out again late on Tuesday evening. Absolutely nothing. This time it started to look ominous. I could still see all the networks, including O2-UK, on my phone but absolutely no sign of a signal and zero ability to log on to the Tesco network. "No network access". Could my old phone finally be on the blink?

Still, when I checked the O2 status site last night I noticed, despite "All our services are working", that they "had been working on this site in the last 24 hours".
Uh, huh! :roll:

I reported the fault along with my phone number and email address. Later reporting also via the official Tesco Mobile site. A trip out to the shops early this morning didn't provide any solace, still absolutely no sign of the Tesco network. Then, this morning at 11.55am... Bingo! My trusty Nokia 1100 lives to fight another day. I wouldn't be surprised if they had to send somebody round to plug a connector back in or something, after yesterday's "working".

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » May 11th, 2023, 1:30 pm

...Oh no! :x :roll:

I swear, one day I'm going around there armed with a hammer. :mrgreen:

Loud rumble! Perhaps with a bit of luck, it's just been struck by lightening...

Later: Lightening seems to have knocked some sense back into it. For now...

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » August 30th, 2023, 4:52 pm

"Recently, lots of 'stuff' seems broken." - Very first line in my OP on this thread. :roll:
(Don't get me started on postal delivery)

Next Tuesday, 5th September, is BT STOP SELL WLR (PTSN, ISDN, FTTC) day. OK, that leaves us until 31 December 2025 until they actually pull the entire existing UK PTSN system. Thinks: How many of the general public know anything at all about any of this?

I was hoping to eventually simply let my landline go (I am with Plusnet) and just stick with my trusty Nokia 1100 (!) - but, with the local base station I depend on at home about as dependable as a third hand Sinclair C5....

Looks like a nearby phone mast isn’t working as it should, sorry.

Our engineers will be on the case already, and your service might come and go until we fix it.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”