Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Chromecast

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
tjh290633
Lemon Half

Chromecast

Postby tjh290633 » December 27th, 2018, 9:00 am

I am having problems installing a Chromecast Ultra. It is fine until it tries to connect to WiFi, at which point it stalls. The signal is strong, it took the password from my mobile phone, and I think that I have seen it on the BT Home Hub control page for the Home Network. That was something with Linux in the description, but not connected.

The only thing that help says is install Google Home. As I am using that, it is not much help. I've tried feedback, with no response.

Any ideas?

TJH

didds
Lemon Half

Re: Chromecast

Postby didds » December 27th, 2018, 10:06 am

what are you installing it on?

didds

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » December 27th, 2018, 10:38 am

tjh290633 wrote:
I am having problems installing a Chromecast Ultra. It is fine until it tries to connect to WiFi, at which point it stalls. The signal is strong, it took the password from my mobile phone, and I think that I have seen it on the BT Home Hub control page for the Home Network. That was something with Linux in the description, but not connected.

The only thing that help says is install Google Home. As I am using that, it is not much help. I've tried feedback, with no response.

Any ideas?

When you're trying to connect it to your home WiFi, at that point you'll usually need to temporarily 'open up' your router or hub wi-fi security to allow the connection of a new wireless device - this is often done by the use of some sort of 'WPS' button on the router, but you can also often do this using your router admin controls too.

Some details here, in case they are useful - https://www.digitalcitizen.life/simple-questions-what-wps-wi-fi-protected-setup

Are you doing that step as part of your connection process?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » December 27th, 2018, 11:41 am

Itsallaguess wrote:When you're trying to connect it to your home WiFi, at that point you'll usually need to temporarily 'open up' your router or hub wi-fi security to allow the connection of a new wireless device - this is often done by the use of some sort of 'WPS' button on the router, but you can also often do this using your router admin controls too.

Some details here, in case they are useful - https://www.digitalcitizen.life/simple-questions-what-wps-wi-fi-protected-setup

Are you doing that step as part of your connection process?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

I tried setting BT Home Hub to use the wizard to connect, to no avail, but this morning it decided to connect and I have successfully cast BT Sport to the TV.

My next step is to cast SkyGo to it. That does not seem to want to work. I shall investigate further. It may be that SkyGo counts Chromecast as a further device, and so I can't do it that way.

NowTV might be an alternative, but that would be paying twice for the privilege.

TJH

wanderer
2 Lemon pips

Postby wanderer » January 2nd, 2019, 12:07 am

I'm pretty sure you aren't allowed to cast SkyGo to another screen from a 'phone or tablet. Annoying because once you've got chromecast set up I think it's absolutely brilliantly flexible for iplayer, ITV player, spotify, etc - just can't put sky content through it!

StepOne
Lemon Slice

Postby StepOne » January 4th, 2019, 4:08 pm

wanderer wrote:I'm pretty sure you aren't allowed to cast SkyGo to another screen from a 'phone or tablet. Annoying because once you've got chromecast set up I think it's absolutely brilliantly flexible for iplayer, ITV player, spotify, etc - just can't put sky content through it!

Some apps I have used don't have a 'cast' option, but I do have the option to cast my entire phone screen. This means that anything playing on the phone will be cast - even things like SkyGo (although I don't actually use Sky, so I can't test this but I have done it with Now TV which is part of Sky).

StepOne

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » January 4th, 2019, 4:33 pm

Try searching in your app store for 'Video & TV Cast (Chromecast)' for stuff that doesn't want to cast in the usual way.

There is a similar app for the Firestick. Both indispensable for casting stuff from my iPhone but I understand they work for Android too.

HYD

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”