Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

I cut the 1&1 cord

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
superFoolish
Lemon Slice

I cut the 1&1 cord

Postby superFoolish » January 7th, 2019, 4:20 am

Finally, I've closed my 1&1 (now called Ionos) account!

I've had a 1&1 account for as long as I can remember - I think 15-20 years. They have always been lousy for hosting (in my experience), but I used them for domain registration, parking and email servers, for which they have always been very reliable.

I had a few domains left on 1&1 that I was procrastinating about transferring (they were historic or redundant side-projects), so I transferred the handful that I really need, and have left the others to 'die' now that I have cancelled the 1&1 account.

The main reason for keeping my account open was because I had quite a few domain names hosted on 1&1 and it was a pain to transfer them elsewhere. As explained in a somewhat 'epic' post some time last year, domain transfer is much easier these days, so I now host all my domains with Google Domains, and I also managed to figure out how to use their email servers free of charge. Furthermore, the few web sites that I still have up and running are hosted on Google servers for which I do not pay anything (low usage). The only fees I now have, are for domain renewal (I don't think anywhere is cheaper than Google Domains other than short-term special offers).

It was strangely difficult (emotionally) to close the account; I have had it for so long that I kept having that 'what if I need it' feeling. Anyway, the day before my contract renewed, I bit the bullet and I feel free!

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Re: I cut the 1&1 cord

Postby chas49 » January 7th, 2019, 5:40 pm

Moderator Message:
Just to help anyone interested, here's the original thread mentioned above

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=11778#p140007

{chas49)

superFoolish
Lemon Slice

Re: I cut the 1&1 cord

Postby superFoolish » January 9th, 2019, 5:34 am

Thanks for posting the link; I should have included it.

Perhaps I should also have mentioned that all the email and hosting that I transferred has worked flawlessly on the free Google services that I have been using since May 2018.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”