Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Broadband and mobile phone.

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
sg31
Lemon Quarter

Broadband and mobile phone.

Postby sg31 » January 27th, 2019, 12:28 pm

Since we have moved to this property we have been restricted to a broadband speed of 1-2Mbps and often much worse. A couple of days ago we were finally connected to FTTC and now have a speed of 37Mbps with up to 66 if we pay a little more. It's great that we now have a proper service.

Mobile phone signal is still just a dream. It is impossible to make a phone call, if we can get 1 bar it fades out after a few seconds. To send a text we need to take a walk to the top of the garden and pray. We don't use our phones much as you can imagine. I put £10 credit on mine 3 and a bit years ago and still don't need to top up.

This made me wonder if there is a way to piggy back the mobile phone signal on the back of the new super broadband.

Broadband is TalkTalk and phone network is 3.

Can any one help.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Re: Broadband and mobile phone.

Postby jackdaww » January 27th, 2019, 12:41 pm

you may get a mobile signal with vodafone or ee.

we do here in rural west wales - no signal from three.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » January 27th, 2019, 12:44 pm

sg31 wrote:This made me wonder if there is a way to piggy back the mobile phone signal on the back of the new super broadband.

If your phone supports it - http://www.three.co.uk/discover/three_intouch

Alternatively see if any other provider has better coverage - https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/mobile-coverage (don't use the company's own websites as they are rather more optimistic)

jackdaww wrote:you may get a mobile signal with vodafone or ee.

we do here in rural west wales - no signal from three.

EE and Vodafone (and O2) still operate a 2G signal, but Three don't so are not great in the wilds.

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Postby MaraMan » January 27th, 2019, 12:49 pm

We have the Three in touch thing and it works well here, where normal signal is iffy.
It seems to work well on iPhones anyway.
MM

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » January 27th, 2019, 12:56 pm

sg31 wrote:Since we have moved to this property we have been restricted to a broadband speed of 1-2Mbps and often much worse. A couple of days ago we were finally connected to FTTC and now have a speed of 37Mbps with up to 66 if we pay a little more. It's great that we now have a proper service.

Mobile phone signal is still just a dream. It is impossible to make a phone call, if we can get 1 bar it fades out after a few seconds. To send a text we need to take a walk to the top of the garden and pray. We don't use our phones much as you can imagine. I put £10 credit on mine 3 and a bit years ago and still don't need to top up.

This made me wonder if there is a way to piggy back the mobile phone signal on the back of the new super broadband.

Can any one help.

If you have the new Talk-talk wi-fi hub, there is wi-fi calling, but will probably not work on an old mobile.

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/guides/ ... i-calling/

Skype for calling friends who have it.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » January 27th, 2019, 12:59 pm

In addition to the WiFi calling option* mentioned by AF62, Three offer Home Signal. Home Signal is a small box that plugs into your hub and creates, in effect, a very short range 3G mobile phone mast in your house.
I use EE's equivalent - and they are probably all made by CISCO anyway - and it works perfectly.

* most newer mobiles support WiFi calling, but Home Signal should work with almost anything

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » January 27th, 2019, 1:27 pm

stewamax wrote:In addition to the WiFi calling option* mentioned by AF62, Three offer Home Signal. Home Signal is a small box that plugs into your hub and creates, in effect, a very short range 3G mobile phone mast in your house.
I use EE's equivalent - and they are probably all made by CISCO anyway - and it works perfectly.

* most newer mobiles support WiFi calling, but Home Signal should work with almost anything

Three stopped offering their Home Signal when they introduced WiFi calling.

I also have the EE Signalbox and it does work well, but they also stopped offering to individuals when they also introduced WiFi calling but I think they still offer it to businesses. They are available for sale on eBay, but you would need to contact EE to get it registered to you for it to work (and that is assuming they would agree to do it).

Ofcom did legalise mobile phone repeaters last year, but I don't think there has been a big rush by anybody to offer them - https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/la ... -repeaters

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » January 27th, 2019, 2:33 pm

AF62 wrote:Three stopped offering their Home Signal when they introduced WiFi calling.
I also have the EE Signalbox and it does work well, but they also stopped offering to individuals when they also introduced WiFi calling but I think they still offer it to businesses.

Maybe Three are bit more tight-fisted, but I (as a domestic customer) didn't have any problem in getting EE to let me have a Signal Box free, and this was after WiFi calling was introduced; I checked their coverage map (which shows 'indoors signal poor or non-existent)' and told them (correctly) that my Nexus 5 phones don't support WiFi calling and aren't upgradable.
It may be worth OP trying the same with Three.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » January 27th, 2019, 2:59 pm

stewamax wrote:
AF62 wrote:Three stopped offering their Home Signal when they introduced WiFi calling.
I also have the EE Signalbox and it does work well, but they also stopped offering to individuals when they also introduced WiFi calling but I think they still offer it to businesses.

Maybe Three are bit more tight-fisted, but I (as a domestic customer) didn't have any problem in getting EE to let me have a Signal Box free, and this was after WiFi calling was introduced; I checked their coverage map (which shows 'indoors signal poor or non-existent)' and told them (correctly) that my Nexus 5 phones don't support WiFi calling and aren't upgradable.
It may be worth OP trying the same with Three.

I didn't have any problems getting a Signal Box from EE either as a domestic customer.

However from what I have read neither Three and EE now offer them to domestic customers. If you received one recently, then clearly what I have read is incorrect.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » January 27th, 2019, 3:50 pm

Thank you to all who replied. My phone is old as there has never been any need to update it because of the lack of a signal at home. I've checked and it does have Nokia S40 VoIP if I configure it.

The Home Signal would have been ideal as I currently I use home plugs rather than WiFi at home, a decision made for security reasons originally. I was told at the time that as we have no near neighbours there would be no signal leakage with home plugs but it would be possible for others to read any WiFi signal. I'm not sure if this is still the case.

If Home Signal is no longer available maybe I'll have to go the WiFi route. I'll have a word with 3 if I can get any sense out of their Indian call centre and see where to go from here.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » January 27th, 2019, 4:21 pm

I use that Three in touch app out in the hills where there is no mobile signal from any provider ( I also have a Nokia 3120 2.5G on a Vodafone SIM only deal), using BB router wifi.
Works fine.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » January 27th, 2019, 6:12 pm

AF62 wrote:Alternatively see if any other provider has better coverage - https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/mobile-coverage (don't use the company's own websites as they are rather more optimistic)

That is wildly optimistic as it thinks Vodafone users can get a 4G signal indoors where I live. They are lucky to get any signal at all, indoors or out.

The only reliable way to check is to get someone who uses the service to see.

Slarti

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » January 27th, 2019, 6:17 pm

Slarti wrote:
AF62 wrote:Alternatively see if any other provider has better coverage - https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/mobile-coverage (don't use the company's own websites as they are rather more optimistic)

That is wildly optimistic as it thinks Vodafone users can get a 4G signal indoors where I live. They are lucky to get any signal at all, indoors or out.

The only reliable way to check is to get someone who uses the service to see.

Slarti

You can get free SIM cards deals from many providers these days with a very limited amount of data/sms/voice minutes, just to check what coverage and actual usability is like in your area before committing to a contract.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”