Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Windows 10 1809, the October 2018 Update now available

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Windows 10 1809, the October 2018 Update now available

Postby Breelander » October 3rd, 2018, 1:24 am

The next version of Windows 10 has just been released. The automatic roll out will start on October 9th. In due course the 'Features Update to Windows 10, version 1809' will be delivered through Windows Update, though you may not see it straight away. Only those PCs thought to be capable of a smooth update will be offered it on the 9th.

There are several ways to get it now though, if you are keen to try it.

1. The Update Assistant at https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/softwar ... /Windows10 will update you now.

2. The Media Creation Tool from the same link can also update your PC now, or you can use the MCT to make the install media as an ISO or USB and use that to do the update later, or to update another PC.

3. If you click on 'Check for updates' in Windows Update you will get the 'Features Update to Windows 10, version 1809' straight away. If you are not eager to get it so soon, then avoid manually checking for updates.

production100
2 Lemon pips

Re: Windows 10 1809, the October 2018 Update now available

Postby production100 » October 3rd, 2018, 10:20 am

Presumably this one will be as untested as the previous ones, uninstalling software which I have carefully installed, stopping the RAID system from working and generally taking a day of work to get back to where we were previously. And of course we will still have the existing bugs to contend with, probably along with a new set.

Get backup systems going now to be protected...

Chris

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » October 3rd, 2018, 11:18 am

...Windows 8!

Good luck and stay happy. ;)

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » October 3rd, 2018, 11:37 am

production100 wrote:Presumably this one will be as untested as the previous ones, uninstalling software which I have carefully installed, stopping the RAID system from working and generally taking a day of work to get back to where we were previously....

I have updated 3 out of my four Win10 machines to 1809. All my software works as before. Apart from turning Fast Start up back on (I prefer it turned off) and a couple of other settings that get set back to their defaults there was very little work needed. In that respect it is the same as every previous features update and I have a (short) checklist of things I always need to reset.

Get backup systems going now to be protected...

I have Macrium Reflect system images for all my machines, but I don't think I'll be needing them. I've not found any significant bugs, so I'm updating my last machine now.

production100
2 Lemon pips

Postby production100 » October 3rd, 2018, 11:59 am

Have run backups on my desktop.
Also transferred all data from my desktop to my laptop and turned off wifi on the laptop so it cannot mess up that pc at the same time as the desktop.

It is downloading on the desktop now, so we will wait and see.

Unlike you Bree I have never had a feature update that has not messed up my pc. I therefore have low expectations. I hope I am proved wrong this time.

Just got to 100%, so you may not be hearing from me for some time!

Chris

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » October 3rd, 2018, 12:05 pm

production100 wrote:It is downloading on the desktop now, so we will wait and see.
Unlike you Bree I have never had a feature update that has not messed up my pc. I therefore have low expectations. I hope I am proved wrong this time.

Just got to 100%, so you may not be hearing from me for some time!

Good luck, see you on the other side ;)

Unlike you, I never let windows update do a features update for me. I download the ISO using the media creation tool and do the update myself. I've always found that to be a reliable method.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 3rd, 2018, 2:20 pm

I download the ISO using the media creation tool and do the update myself. I've always found that to be a reliable method.

I'm going that route this time around, I got up early today but forgot to update the MCT USB flash drive, so I'll do it tomorrow now whilst the sensible are still asleep and I've got full bandwidth on my 4G connection.

production100
2 Lemon pips

Postby production100 » October 3rd, 2018, 2:39 pm

OK it is done. My experiences:

The update knocked out my RAID system and disabled the Intel RAID monitoring programme (again - the last feature update did the same). Reinstalled. Currently rebuilding the RAID array.

The update uninstalled windows 7 games (again). Reinstalled.

Previously I had two network settings in spite of every effort on my part to uninstall and reinstall everything. One was 'network' and the other was 'network 2'. (ethernet connection to router). When setting up windows for the first time on a new installation it would ask whether I wanted the pc to be discoverable. It then set up the second network instead of changing the existing one. One of these connected to the internet, the other would not. Often when logging on I had to disable the ethernet card and re-enable it to be able to get the other network setting and connect to the internet. The new version asked the same question again - should the pc be discoverable - and set up network 3 - again without internet connection. Still having to disable and re-enable the network card to get internet, but now with 3 network options available. Have to do it several times until it picks up the correct network setting.

Added 'show desktop' and 'switch between windows' to quick start menu, when I had carefully removed them.

'See whats new' seems to list an awful lot of stuff that was there before so it is difficult to find anything that is new in the feature upgrade. Have not investigated in detail yet, but so far it all seems as it was before.

Still have unnecessary lock screen on startup.

Still cannot use left handed mouse click to bring up sign on screen.

Still no facility to select and deselect updates from installing. This is vital for some users. I maintain one pc where it is not capable of working with later feature versions of Windows 10 and the only way to keep it working is to stop windows updates completely. Unfortunately this pc is overseas, so when it goes wrong it is a major problem. I just hope my modifications are not overridden and the pc does not start to update with this latest set of 'features'.

Apart from that it seems to work.

Chris

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » October 3rd, 2018, 3:10 pm

Chris, there is a way to stop Microsoft (Windows 10) from automatically installing updates. I read about it on another forum and did do it for a while, but can't remember the details. It was something along the lines of telling MS through your computer that you don't have a continuous wi-fi connection, just an intermittent dial up connection. It doesn't then download updates in case it can't complete the download; instead one has to download and install them manually.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 3rd, 2018, 3:19 pm

richfool wrote:Chris, there is a way to stop Microsoft (Windows 10) from automatically installing updates. I read about it on another forum and did do it for a while, but can't remember the details. It was something along the lines of telling MS through your computer that you don't have a continuous wi-fi connection, just an intermittent dial up connection. It doesn't then download updates in case it can't complete the download; instead one has to download and install them manually.

Metered connection and it works for wired ethernet as well as WiFi. I used to use it to stop my 4G tethering allowance being swamped by updates, but I had a few issues which disappeared when I switched it off. It may be less buggy now, this was a couple of years ago.
I think Chris was looking to manually choose which bits got updated though rather than a global yes/no option?

production100
2 Lemon pips

Postby production100 » October 3rd, 2018, 3:30 pm

Hi Richfool,

Yes there are various ways like that. The problem is that when you later go to install a security update it installs all of the updates at the same time and the pc then crashes again and will not start. A way to select which updates are installed before it installs them is needed - just like we used to have in previous versions of Windows.

I have had to be more radical in my approach on that particular pc. Stopping the processes associated with updates from ever running and doing some changes in the registry to stop them restarting again. The problem of course is that the pc is then not updated at all so no security updates.

It is a great pity that Microsoft is so set in its ways with the Windows 10 update process and does not listen to their users. If they spent some time fixing some of the very basic faults with windows 10 rather than adding 'features' people would probably like them more.

Chris

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 3rd, 2018, 3:39 pm

You could use metered as a global block in conjunction with... https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/home.aspx
whereby you could have some manual control over which updates you wanted by only downloading specific ones (to USB flash if you want.)

Still not as good as before but I suppose MS are trying to stop unpatched PC's as much as possible, a double edged sword.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » October 3rd, 2018, 3:50 pm

production100 wrote:A way to select which updates are installed before it installs them is needed - just like we used to have in previous versions of Windows.

That is not the way with Widows 10's 'windows as a service' - come to that, it isn't the way with windows 7 any more, not now Win7 has adopted the 'single monthly roll up' format to come in line with Win10.

Microsoft do provide a tool for blocking individual updates though. Works in all versions of Win10.

Microsoft wrote:In rare cases, a specific driver might temporarily cause issues that affect your device. In this situation, you can prevent the problematic driver from reinstalling automatically the next time Windows Updates are installed.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... -in-window

production100
2 Lemon pips

Postby production100 » October 3rd, 2018, 3:56 pm

Microsoft do provide a tool for blocking individual updates though. Works in all versions of Win10.

Unfortunately this cannot be used to stop any feature updates from just 'happening' - which crashes this particular pc.

Chris

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 3rd, 2018, 4:36 pm

production100 wrote:

Unfortunately this cannot be used to stop any feature updates from just 'happening' - which crashes this particular pc.

Chris

Is this the foreign climes one?
Presumably you're remoting in?
Can't you use metered as a block, local USB flash drive for security patches as required as per my previous post, and manually do feature updates via MCT USB flash when there in person, if required (as per Bree's post upthread.)
Or is it all more complicated than that?

production100
2 Lemon pips

Postby production100 » October 3rd, 2018, 4:58 pm

Yes it is the one abroad.

I have had to block everything at the moment just to make it work. For some reason any feature update - however done - crashes the pc. Presumably a driver that cannot be updated to work with the later Windows 10 versions.

Yes I could probably do security updates via a USB, but I do not currently have remote access and the user is not exactly pc capable so the situation is 'difficult'. At the moment, with it all blocked, the pc works and I have to assume that it will carry on working for a while. Hopefully it will be replaced when their son gets round to it and then the replacement pc can be updated.

I do understand why Microsoft want to do it this way, but it does not help users such as this.

Remote access is all very well, but when the pc will not start because it has tried to do an update and failed I suspect it will not help much!

Chris

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » October 6th, 2018, 10:03 am

The Media Creation Tool and the Update Assistant have been replaced by Microsoft with the ones for 1803. Apparently users who had some but not all their files synced to OneDrive have had their un-synced files deleted by the 1809 update.

Microsoft wrote:We have paused the rollout of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) for all users as we investigate isolated reports of users missing some files after updating.

https://support.microsoft.com/help/4464 ... te-history

If you have updated to 1809 without problem then it is safe to continue using it, the problem only occurs during the update. I you have downloaded the ISO but not yet updated, then wait for MS to issue a revised ISO, especially if you use OneDrive.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » October 6th, 2018, 9:11 pm

Breelander wrote:The next version of Windows 10 has just been released. The automatic roll out will start on October 9th.

Thanks for the heads-up. Based upon past experience, and from what you write, the first thing I did was go to Settings and create a System/Restore Point!
/Batten down the hatches a 'glorious new Windows update' is being rolled out.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » October 6th, 2018, 9:22 pm

richfool wrote:Chris, there is a way to stop Microsoft (Windows 10) from automatically installing updates. I read about it on another forum and did do it for a while, but can't remember the details. It was something along the lines of telling MS through your computer that you don't have a continuous wi-fi connection, just an intermittent dial up connection. It doesn't then download updates in case it can't complete the download; instead one has to download and install them manually.

Yep, this is true, I have precisely this switched as such. It dates from from when previously living in a place where power cuts were calamitous on IT gear but somewhat simple to predict across a typical week. I had one happen once 'mid-update' and it caused serious havoc.

It means I can choose when to do updates, a) when new releases have had a few weeks to inevitably get thoroughly de-bugged. Why MS release such crap quality updates I have no idea, and b) when the power will stay on long enough to most likely see the process through.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Windows 10 1809, the October 2018 Update PAUSED

Postby chas49 » October 9th, 2018, 7:44 am

The Register reports https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/10/0 ... 10_pulled/ that the rollout has been suspended.

Microsoft's advice to those who have downloaded the build is: for goodness' sake, don't install the thing

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”