Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

revert win10 upgrade

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
didds
Lemon Half

revert win10 upgrade

Postby didds » January 15th, 2019, 2:37 pm

an elderly friend (EF) of a chum has a tosh laptop. Currently running win10 and running like a dog.

On the bottom of the laptop is a win 7 pro sticker and serial key. EF ocnifrms it upgraded to win 10 some while back and its been slow since.

A google indicated this

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3074020 ... grade.html

"Simply open the Start menu and head to Settings > Update & Security > Recovery. If you're eligible to downgrade, you'll see an option that says “Go back to Windows 7...”

Except when I do that I see the option to go back to a previous version of windows 10... which isn;t much help./

Or - If I revert the laptop to a previous version of win10, will it subsequently provide via the same procedure a chance to revert to the original win7 installation?

didds

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: revert win10 upgrade

Postby Breelander » January 15th, 2019, 3:28 pm

didds wrote:If I revert the laptop to a previous version of win10, will it subsequently provide via the same procedure a chance to revert to the original win7 installation?

No. Originally the option to revert to Windows 7 was available for 30 days after the initial upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7. After that the Windows.old folder containing the old W7 system would have been automatically deleted. With the more recent versions of Windows 10 the time allowed for going back to the previous version has been reduced to 10 days.

The option to go back is only there for a limited time after an upgrade. It's your fallback in case the upgrade caused problems. After 10 days it's assumed you didn't find any problems and the option is removed. If you still have that option then it looks like the EF has only just had an upgrade from a previous version of Win10 to a newer one. Which version does Winver say they have? 1809 is currently being rolled out, the EF may have just had that upgrade.

What model of Toshiba does the EF have? I am replying on a Toshiba Satellite L750-16L, currently running Windows 10 version 1809. It first got the free upgrade from Win7 to Win10 back in August 2015 and has been upgraded to each new version of Win10 since then. It runs better than it ever did with it's OEM Win7.

I would expect Win10 to run well on most Toshibas that came with Win7, if I knew the exact model the EF has I could confirm that. Usually 'running slow' is down to having picked up too much 'bloatware' or 'adware' along the way (browser toolbars and that sort of thing).

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » January 15th, 2019, 4:40 pm

Hi Bree,

its a L360-264. It was 7 home premium for what that's worth.

I can see its got 3Gb RAM so it should be fine for win10 I guess.

Ill have a look at bloatware etc as suggested - cheers

didds

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » January 15th, 2019, 5:45 pm

didds wrote:its a L360-264. It was 7 home premium for what that's worth.
I can see its got 3Gb RAM so it should be fine for win10 I guess.

Typo? I can only find an L350-264. According to Toshiba that machine was supplied with 32-bit Win7 Home Premium.
http://www.toshiba.co.uk/discontinued-p ... -l350-264/

The upgrade to 10 would have been to 32-bit Win10 Home. 3GB is more than enough for 32-bit Win10. 64-bit Win10 would be more demanding (I'd recommend a minimum of 4GB) but the EF would have to have done a clean install after the upgrade to be running in 64-bits. My guess is you'll find they are still on 32-bits.

The specs also says it has a Pentium T4300, a dual core processor. The Passmark for that is only a little less that my Toshiba's Pentium B950 so I'd expect the performance to be similar to mine, especially as it is (probably) running the less demanding 32-bit version of Win10 while I am using 64-bit Win10.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/In ... 1094vs1400

As for adware/malware, I'd start by scanning with AdwCleaner.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

tractorian
2 Lemon pips

Postby tractorian » January 16th, 2019, 12:22 pm

Often, when investigating why Windows 10 machines are running slowly, I find it's down to updates running without the user being aware.

If a user regularly logs on for, say 10 or 15 minutes them logs off again, an update, such as 1809, may take several days/weeks to install, with consequent effect on performance. Telling the user to leave the computer running for a few hours, with the screen showing the update status and instructions to Restart when prompted, often cures the problem and gets one a reputation as 'an expert'. Beware!!

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » January 16th, 2019, 1:41 pm

tractorian wrote:...an update, such as 1809, may take several days/weeks to install...

Yes, that is one possibility.

Technically it's not actually installing anything in those days/weeks, it's 'preparing to install' by downloading the upgrade files. This will be some 2-3GB, hence the long time needed. Only when the download is complete will you be prompted to start the install itself.

superFoolish
Lemon Slice

Postby superFoolish » January 17th, 2019, 12:32 am

I don't know if this tip will help (based on the information that you can't downgrade)...

If you are concerned that it could be non-Windows applications or utilities that are slowing the laptop down, there is a reset option in Windows, that removes all third party applications, and leaves all user data as-is, leaving you with what is, effectively, a completely clean install of Windows 10, without the hassle of initial install and configuration. This enables you to reinstall only required 3rd party applications.

I screwed-up my Windows 10 installation a few weeks ago (my fault) and, although I was ready to do a completely clean install, I decided to try the 'reset Windows' option, and it worked remarkably well.

If nothing else, using the reset option will enable you to determine if Windows 10 runs okay on the laptop when it is completely 'cleaned' of third-party apps.

To instigate the reset, type Reset this PC into the Windows 10 search box, then follow the instructions carefully (one of the options is to delete data too!). Of course, backup all data first!

Another tip, which you could do after the Windows 10 reset, is remove all the non-essential Windows apps. There is a neat utility for doing this (link below), and I have used it a couple of times. You can remove all, or selected Windows utilties (around 40+ in all!). I hate the clutter of the Windows 10 app menu, with all the utilities and games that I will never use, so I really appreciate this cleanup utility:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/10appsmanager-windows-10

The utility can also reinstall the Windows apps if you change your mind.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » January 17th, 2019, 12:46 am

superFoolish wrote:If nothing else, using the reset option will enable you to determine if Windows 10 runs okay on the laptop when it is completely 'cleaned' of third-party apps....

But do bear in mind that for the purposes of a Reset, the definition of a '3rd-party app' is EVERYTHING that is not included in a clean install of Windows. A Reset will remove any other Microsoft products such as Office, so if you have MS Office installed it is vital you make sure you have the install media and the product keys before using the Reset!

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”