Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Windows 10 Clean Install

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: Windows 10 Clean Install

Postby Infrasonic » January 20th, 2019, 12:35 pm

Would a factory reset not suffice?
They tend to clear out a lot of junk files, corruption issues and fix slow downs (it worked wonders recently on my Nexus 5 phone)
I would have thought you could do that without any need for extra space.

Also aren't the tablet versions of W10 slightly different from the vanilla OS versions that are available online for MS MCT use via USB etc?
I had an idea in my head that they are a fair bit leaner than the full fat W10 home installs, but could be wrong.
Maybe it's tablet brand dependent, based on hardware specs/storage size et al.
There are reliable third party apps out there that will help you strip away much of the app. bloatware that W10 comes with if space is a premium.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » January 20th, 2019, 1:22 pm

Snorvey wrote:I fancy doing a clean install on my Asus W10 tablet....

First question - why do you think that?

The thing is, when I start to go through the process it says I need an additional 4.7gb of space to complete the process. Please uninstall programs.

This doesn't sound like you are doing a true clean install. How are you attempting to start one?

Infrasonic wrote:Would a factory reset not suffice?

That would be my recommendation if you need to 'reinstall Windows' to fix problems. A Reset would remove all installed software and reinstall Windows. Optionally you can keep your files, but all apps will be removed. The main reason that I'd got for a Reset rather than a clean install is that....
Microsoft wrote:....If your PC came with Windows 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12415#section3

Particularly for a tablet, it would probably be best to keep the OEM provided apps and drivers. A vanilla clean install would remove these too.

Infrasonic wrote:...aren't the tablet versions of W10 slightly different from the vanilla OS versions that are available online for MS MCT use via USB etc?
I had an idea in my head that they are a fair bit leaner than the full fat W10 home installs...

Not as I understand it. The setup files should suit all types of hardware. What actually gets installed will depend on the actual hardware, so the same install media could produce quite a different install on a Desktop compared to a Tablet.

tractorian
2 Lemon pips

Postby tractorian » January 21st, 2019, 1:46 pm

This lack of storage may be a long term problem for many small machines.. See here:

https://www.howtogeek.com/fyi/windows-1 ... r-updates/

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » January 21st, 2019, 3:33 pm

Snorvey wrote:So when I say, clean install, I realise I might not be using the right terminology...

...apparently, if I restart it to the login screen and then hold the shift key down it will bring up a series of options - one of which is factory reset. To do the factory reset, I had to enter my Microsoft Account details, which I did, but it didn't recognise the passwork (which I'm assuming is my email password?) [Edit: I just typed in Login to MicroSoft account into Google and it is the same as my email login, so I'm assuming the onscreen keyboard is also typing gobbledygook.

Clearer now, thanks. Yes, Hold down Shift and select Restart from the power options on the login screen will give you the 'Choose an option' screen. Here you selected Troubleshoot > Reset this PC. Then you have a choice of 'Keep my files' or 'Remove everything'. After making a choice the PC restarts and asks for your password to continue. It's at this point you are having a problem.

Now the thing you need to know is that the requirement for a password is so that the reset process can sign in to the existing Windows as an administrator in order to have sufficient permission to perform a reset. It does not necessarily have to be your Microsoft account, it would work equally well with a local account. In fact an MS account can be a bit of a problem to use as you are never quite sure what password to use. It seems to have a local password and your online password which should in theory match, but too often seem to have got out of sync somehow.

One solution is to create a second administrator account as a Local Account, then you can use that to do the Reset without any need for your MS Account's password. You could make it even easier for yourself by giving this Local administrator account a blank password unit you have completed the reset. As a mater of routine, I always create a second local administrator account on all my machines, just so I have one have one handy for maintenance purposes.

To add a Local account, go to Settings > Accounts > Family & other users. Click 'Add someone else to this PC' and on the following screens keep clicking all the options for 'I don't know their MS account details' until you get to the screen that just wants a username and password. Once you have created a local account, remember to make it an administrator.

PS: the on screen keyboard may not be typing gobbledygook. It may be set for a different language layout, or Caps lock may be on. Either way, a local administrator account with a blank password would get round that problem - nothing to type ;)

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”