Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Now THIS is the mother of all IT issues, for me - (Resolved!)

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Now THIS is the mother of all IT issues, for me - (Resolved!)

Postby DiamondEcho » January 21st, 2019, 7:00 pm

I had been locked out of MS Win-10 Office programmes on my PC. So for example I could open an Excel file and view it but all the usual functionality File/Home/Insert/Page Layout across was greyed out, as were all the buttons, Cut, Copy, Paste and so on. There was a pop-up about having to input the Office license key. It had nagged for this for some weeks, and here it had summarily locked it without warning, after years of being 100% fine. I did not have the license key at hand, I had the PC custom built for me and without question know original Office was installed, but just IDK where the key is. This had been nagging me for ages, so I decided to just buy a new license; I'm travelling shortly and don't need this stress.

I downnloaded that from lowcostsoftware.co.uk (no connection except thrilled customer today) for £30. I'm not good at IT - really, if freaks me out doing stuff like this, but I was thinking positively 'this was going to be fine, so much simpler 8-)'. I had uninstalled previous versions of Office, reinstalled the new one, all pretty straightforward... I was c12 digits into entering the c18 digit product key to activate it when the mains cable [?] on our street outside was damaged. A workman using power-tools to cut paving slabs outside screamed 'Agggghhh!' at the same instant, and all power to my home went.

It came back again about 2 minutes later, so I re-booted my PC, now feeling highly stressed. Start-up had been corrupted by the outage, the Windows OS wouldn't load. I got the 4-pane Windows icon, the egg-timer, then a black screen and nothing... :shock: I checked various thing, getting into Safe Mode, and the BIOS, and more, but couldn't find what was previously known as 'Boot from last known good configuration'.

I concluded I had to do a 'Repair/Install', of the correct configuration (64-Bit etc), of the Windows OS, this I did by finding the Windows programme on the MS site, putting it on a RAM stick, and booting the PC from it. The same non-boot as above repeated. I sat blinking at the screen, feeling despondent :?

Then 10 seconds later, while contemplating Deep-IT-Hell it just loaded my wallpaper/screensaver, without me touching anything, and invited me to log-in to Windows! :lol: 'You cannot be serious!!!!!!' :lol:

I checked various programmes, and so on, some looked ok. But of course Office had been uninstalled and not yet reinstalled. I opened a browser and it open pre-loaded with the Office License key page of the 12/18 digits I'd entered earlier still there! :lol: I finished registering that and all is now back to normal! O-M-T-G that was not fun AT ALL.

- I'll be spending the evening doing full back-ups of my PC and laptop!!

Take-aways:
Do full back-ups as routine.
Keep any license key numbers noted and safe, obviously not on the machine that later has a problem; but make it bullet-proof.
Tip: If anyone does not know for sure what their OS and Office [and/or Apple equivalents] software license keys are, I suggest finding them now, and keeping a note away from yr machine, in a safe place, perhaps in an e-mail you send to yourself and store carefully... so you can read it from say a web-based version of e-mail using your account.

Jeez, what a day, and now I do believe I've earned entitlement to Beer-O'Clock :lol:

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: Now THIS is the mother of all IT issues, for me - (Resolved!)

Postby Breelander » January 21st, 2019, 7:44 pm

DiamondEcho wrote: A workman using power-tools to cut paving slabs outside screamed 'Agggghhh!' at the same instant, and all power to my home went.

It came back again about 2 minutes later....

I do hope the same can be said for the unfortunate workman....

Then 10 seconds later, while contemplating Deep-IT-Hell it just loaded my wallpaper/screensaver, without me touching anything, and invited me to log-in to Windows! :lol: 'You cannot be serious!!!!!!' :lol:

Yes, sometimes the Windows 10 self-repair function works perfectly...

Take-aways:
Do full back-ups as routine...

I use Macrium Reflect Free to make a full system image on an external HDD. Well worth doing as you can restore the whole system in one go and it will carry on as if nothing had happened, including your activated MS Office. https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Jeez, what a day, and now I do believe I've earned entitlement to Beer-O'Clock :lol:

Thank you for sharing....

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » January 21st, 2019, 9:13 pm

Thanks Bree, what a day!! :shock:
That was going to be a 9am task for tomorrow, make full back-ups of everything. Starting with coming back here to remind myself of the currently suggested best soft-ware to do it with; so TYVM for answering that question before I'd asked it :)

Weird day. I'd gone to buy a new larger TB yet compact xHDD just yesterday, really, to make full back-ups of both my laptop and PC. But I'd planned to start on that today, as it usually takes hours to do it. That's simply to get it done before soon travelling, and also to have a copy of that data on me while away 'just in case', then THIS happened...

Meanwhile dinner is on, and life is currently getting back to a bit more normal :) Thanks again!

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » January 21st, 2019, 9:21 pm

If you don't know the product key and you can't find the relevant box/cd/email, a tool like Magical JellyBean Keyfinder is useful.

No connection other than satisfied user

https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”