Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Finding Windows Live Mail for download - Win10-64bit?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Finding Windows Live Mail for download - Win10-64bit?

Postby DiamondEcho » January 23rd, 2019, 11:25 am

After having reinstalled Window 10 on my desktop-PC things are almost back to normal. One big change however is that my MS-Office e-mail has changed. Before the re-install I had to de-install the previous version. I previously had legacy Windows Live Mail which did precisely what I needed connected to Outlook and Gmail, clear, thorough, simple.

Now I have the default 'Mail app', which is so pared back I'm finding it hard-going, it isn't clear nor simple, and it's lost the connection to the e-mail archives [.pst folders] on my hard disk. They contain a lot of data I need. Slightly less important but annoying is I don't think it will connect to Gmail!

Notes:
It seems MS don't provide a download for the WLM software any more.
I do have a good working copy of my laptop, maybe that cld be copied over, IDK...
I do have System Images made with Acronis True-Image in the latter half of 2018. And full copy back-ups of the C drive until quite recently. The WLM is perhaps within that, IDK, I only ever had to do a full reinstall from that source once, and don't know if I could identify which files I'd have to extract from the whole to get functioning WLM back.

I'm presently thinking that doing a fresh install, connecting it to my Outlook a/c, and reconnecting it to my archives .pst files might be the simplest route. I have searched for a source, but I haven't found one a Win-10 compatible copy for download, from a source I know of and trust not to be a source of malware. It used to be a part of a package called 'Windows Live Essentials [2012]'.

[If the above is 'TLDR', the below is my question :) ]
Does anyone know of a reliable source for Windows Live Essential-2012, or the component from it Windows Live Mail, for Window-10 (64-bit)?

jofc

Re: Finding Windows Live Mail for download - Win10-64bit?

Postby jofc » January 23rd, 2019, 11:51 am

You might want to look at other email tools like thunderbird

What follows isn't helpful, I'm just having a rant:

It all seems like microsoft is pushing everyone to a 'subscription model' of windows, so you have to pay again every year.

That's what they are stinging companies with (Office 365) compared to old Office 20xx versions.
A fair number of companies have clocked this & just sit on old Office 2013 versions & are refusing to pay for the new model.

For home users, (And I had this when I replaced my daughters netbook for school a couple of weeks ago)
Win 10 is getting such a pain to set up that I can see it going out of favor, especially now the default Win10 Home edition limits installs to the play store only.

Kids are used to Android phones - so chromebooks are almost (but not quite) solution
what happens when wifi goes down?
I think google are worse than microsoft on spying on what people do

Just need an android-ish skinned version of linux with open office on it and transition from phones to PCs for the kids.
I suspect the crunch for younger people would come if all PC games were switched to run on linux too.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » January 23rd, 2019, 12:02 pm

Mail app will do any IMAP/POP3 including Gmail. It's pretty stable these days, (it was very buggy initially a couple of years back.)

How much of your .PST file archive still exists on the webmail servers?
My main Hotmail account that I've had since '98 still has email on it from back then, I just back that account up to a couple of Gmail accounts one IMAP (to preserve folder hierarchy) one POP3 using the webmail interface so I'm ecosystem independent in the case of a MS/Google meltdown, house fire, armageddon et al.
It's a five minute job to set it up.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » January 23rd, 2019, 8:42 pm

Infrasonic wrote:Mail app will do any IMAP/POP3 including Gmail. It's pretty stable these days

Windows Live Mail worked well and allowed synching not only of Microsoft (Hotmail, Live, outlook.com) email services but also IMAP and POP. Its notable advantage was that it would also synch contacts and calendar from Hotmail et al. Its one restriction (by design) was that it could only synch one Hotmail (etc) service at any one time: you needed to log in and out of each such service if you had more than one. It was common to use IMAP for email while using hotmail et al for calendar and contacts synching.

Windows 10 Mail and the current webmail outlook.com clients by contrast have major deficiencies when e.g. connecting to IMAP accounts, These deficiencies appear to be by design. Microsoft has publicly denied this so perhaps everything has been quietly fixed in the last few months...

- special folders (Inbox, Sent Items etc) cannot be re-specified
- synchronisation of Sent Items is not implemented
- a Root folder name cannot be specified

An example:
Mail is designed to put sent items in the Sent Items folder that is at the same IMAP level as Inbox. If the mail server has Sent Items (or Sent, or....) one level down the IMAP folder tree, Mail's Sent Items has nowhere to synch with (because a Root Folder name cannot be specified). If a Root Folder could be specified, it still wouldn't work if the IMAP server used Sent instead of Sent Items as the folder name for sent items (because Mail will not let folder names of special folders be re-specified).
And if both these were, in fact, implemented in Mail, synching of Sent Items still wouldn't work if Mail were working via outlook.com on an IMAP connected account because the developers of outlook.com decided not to implement it.

The development teams of both products have decided to ignore a fundamental tenet of IMAP which is that the client adopts whatever folders and folder structure given to it (on request) by the server. (The client can request the server to add/change/delete a folder; the server may or may not comply, as it wishes).

It is probably no coincidence that:
- Gmail (for most users) is accessed via IMAP
- synching of Sent Items in outlook.com or O365 (i.e. Exchange-based) accounts works fine.

There are two underlying deficiencies that need sorting:
- mapping of Mail's folder names to the server's folder names (the IMAP convention is that it is the server that defines the names)
- ability to set a root folder such that folders can be on the same level as the root or one level below

Microsoft has assumed that all third-party mail services have folder names and folder positioning (relative to the Root folder) that are the same as Microsoft's.
In the real world this is not so. When an IMAP client is being set up, it is supposed to get folder names and folder positioning from the server, not attempt to impose its own version and the find unsurprisingly that folder synching doesn't work.
Equally unsurprisingly, setting the client up using Exchange Server protocols doesn't have problems because Microsoft is in control of the products at either end. Even account configuration was automated using auto-discovery that normally works very well.

By comparison, in the desktop Outlook world it was possible (until Outlook 2013 appeared) to define IMAP root folder name and map names for the 'special' folders (e.g. Sent). Outlook 2013 and later removed some of this flexibility.

Microsoft has been aware of the issue since early 2015. It knows that the problem does not exist for those who use Mail with (at the back end) outlook.com or O365 mail or onsite Exchange Server - all with the MAPI over HTTP transport protocol and other Exchange Server mail management services instead of IMAP.
In other words:
- if you use a Microsoft back-end product you are fine
- If you use someone else's IMAP and if doesn't work with our Mail client, well that's business. This is in spite of the de facto IMAP rule that the server tells the client (on request) what folder names and structure (.e.g root folder level) is has and the client must conform to it.

I'm not sure I blame Microsoft for this product deficiency: Microsoft offers the best chargeable mail / calendar / contacts with distribution lists / etc etc platform in existence; Gmail for Business is a poor competitor.
But I DO blame Microsoft for perennially ducking and weaving the issue and claiming that Mail's IMAP shortcomings are just bugs that will be fixed.

Mail is a product designed to work with Microsoft's mail services and only those, and even then it is weak. It also still needs proper testing to remove an infamous bug that can cause it to Synch fruitlessly without end; the only way to stop it is to remove and re-add the account.
Compared with Windows Live Mail (WLM) it is a joke, and Mail's only saving grace is that - intentionally - it supports (or appears to support...) MAPI-over-HTTP connections to Exchange Server, something deliberately denied to WLM.

I could go on. For example, defining distribution groups (to email members of a club, for example) is – unbelievably – not supported. There are various very crude fudges to get round the restriction but again the lack appears to be ‘by design’.

Subscribe to O365 mail at £55 p.a., add Outlook (an old Outlook 2010 is fine) and you have the best email/contacts/calendar service available with almost all of the functionality of an on-premises business Exchange Server service.
But Microsoft has deliberately opened a big (and expanding) gap between its chargeable and free email/calendar/contacts services. Windows Live Mail worked too well and had to be sidelined, and Microsoft's (sensible) move of Hotmail / Live/ outlook.com services to an Exchange Server back-end was the ideal opportunity. How? WLM was simply not upgraded to support Exchange Server.
And that was really the end of WLM.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » January 23rd, 2019, 11:41 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:... I previously had legacy Windows Live Mail which did precisely what I needed connected to Outlook and Gmail, clear, thorough, simple.

...It seems MS don't provide a download for the WLM software any more.

No, MS removed it from their downloads at the end of 2017 after it reached the end of its supported life. Before they did, I made sure that I had downloaded the offline installer wlsetup-all.exe. I use Movie Maker that is also part of the package and wanted to be able to reinstall it if required.

If you must have Windows Live Mail you can download the offline installer for Microsoft Windows Live Essentials 2012 from the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. They have an archived copy of a Microsoft download page here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20161119234 ... nload-now/

I have just downloaded the ofline installer from there and done a file comparison. The downloaded file is identical to the one I got direct from Microsoft back in 2017.

Note that you may see install errors reported. Despite reporting errors, the install seems to work (at least, for Movie Maker it does). I have seen it reported that Essentials 2012 will install without error if you have installed .NET Framework 3.5. That, at least, is available from Microsoft.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downloa ... x?id=25150

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » January 24th, 2019, 9:32 am

I run Mail on several machines with multiple Gmail (+ other webmail/domain) accounts, no major problems.
Folders mapped, sent email fine et al.
The minutia of Stewmax's post may well be correct, but for everyday email usage I've been using using Gmail with Mail and it works.
I also run multiple calendars ( + subscriptions) and account specific contacts lists. Again mixing and matching across Gmail and Outlook.com /domain mail as I please, syncing that to phones et al (using outlook and gmail client apps). No major issues.
As I said upthread, Mail was very buggy initially, almost to the point of being unuseable, but the last year or so it's been fine.
Likewise the Outlook client for Android (formerly Accompli), which annoyed me for ages with sync issues but has settled down to be reliable in the last year.

Is Mail a 'business' grade email client. No.
But then I never used 90% of desktop Outlook's facilities when I used to have that as part of 'Office' for years anyway, so horses for courses.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » January 24th, 2019, 10:56 pm

Breelander wrote: If you must have Windows Live Mail you can download the offline installer for Microsoft Windows Live Essentials 2012 from the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. They have an archived copy of a Microsoft download page here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20161119234 ... nload-now/
I have just downloaded the ofline installer from there and done a file comparison. The downloaded file is identical to the one I got direct from Microsoft back in 2017.

Thanks Bree, it's what I'm used to, and have on my other machine, it was always so much simpler. I'm away for a while, but will try d/l'ing it when I get back and see it goes. Many thx!

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » January 25th, 2019, 10:29 am

DiamondEcho wrote:
Breelander wrote:...I have just downloaded the ofline installer from there and done a file comparison. The downloaded file is identical to the one I got direct from Microsoft back in 2017.

Thanks Bree, it's what I'm used to, and have on my other machine, it was always so much simpler. I'm away for a while, but will try d/l'ing it when I get back and see it goes. Many thx!

I decided to download it now vs later^, so it's sitting on my desktop ready to use.
One thing I'd like to ask 'just in case', when I come back to this my memory of what's reqd might be a bit hazier, so... is this the Win-10 64-bit version; or will it offer that as an option from a list of types before I run the installer? That's what I'd usually expect, but when I return to do the work, it would be comforting to know I'm set to go. I'll re-read this topic before I commence!

p.s. I have had to do this before, even got my archive .pst files reconnected [!], but I'm not born for such IT work, so always check everything is clear before I start something like this. Thx!

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » January 25th, 2019, 1:07 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:... is this the Win-10 64-bit version; or will it offer that as an option from a list of types before I run the installer?

It was only ever available as a 32-bit version, but that's OK as 32-bit apps run in 64-bit Windows.

Install .NET Framework 3.5 first. The Essentials installer is actually a package of installers. The first thing it asks is if you want to install all, or choose which programs to install. Select 'choose'. Do not install Messenger as that no longer works. Select Mail (obviously). You don't need any of the others (you could always run install again later if you decide want them).

You may see an install error reported, but if you check on your Start menu you will find that it has actually install and will run. As for setting it up, you're on your own. I've not used Windows Live Mail, it's Movie Maker that I use.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » January 25th, 2019, 8:55 pm

Got it, thx; I'll be set to go as soon as I get back to my home 8-)
Much appreciated!

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”