Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Avast Antivirus

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
maximan
2 Lemon pips

Avast Antivirus

Postby maximan » January 30th, 2019, 4:11 pm

I have downloaded Avast's Antivirus which is free. In the past I have used both Norton And McAfee to protect my laptop.
On doing some online research I have only found good reviews and one site said it was better than Norton and McAfee.
DAK of any problems with the product and does anyone else use it.
Thanks

EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Re: Avast Antivirus

Postby EssDeeAitch » February 2nd, 2019, 6:37 am

maximan wrote:I have downloaded Avast's Antivirus which is free. In the past I have used both Norton And McAfee to protect my laptop.
On doing some online research I have only found good reviews and one site said it was better than Norton and McAfee.
DAK of any problems with the product and does anyone else use it.
Thanks

I just jumped on this forum to see if anyone could advise as to whether I need Avast or not (running Win 10) as it is getting on my nerves. It now opens an Avast Browser automatically and I now need to work out how to stop that happening.

I have the free version which may act differently top the paid for - I keep on getting "upgrade now" pop-ups which are intrusive but I suppose understandable. But I will be looking for further advice on its need.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » February 2nd, 2019, 6:47 am

EssDeeAitch wrote:
I just jumped on this forum to see if anyone could advise as to whether I need Avast or not (running Win 10) as it is getting on my nerves. It now opens an Avast Browser automatically and I now need to work out how to stop that happening.

You should be able to uninstall the Avast browser - go to your Windows 10 search-bar down in the bottom-left area (the little white circle...), and type -

uninstall

at that point, you should see a 'Best Match' option above the search bar that has 'Add or Remove Programs' in it - select that, and then make sure that you select the 'Apps and Features' option on the left hand side, and you should be shown a list of installed programs on your PC.

Look for Avast Browser, or Avast Secure Browser, or Avast SafeZone Browser, and remove it if it's listed there.

You're not the only Avast user that's unhappy with the install of this browser - Avast seem to have been particularly sneaky in side-installing this browser during the install of it's AV software...they are receiving a great deal of very public (internet) flak over it.....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess (who uses the free Comodo Internet Security Premium - https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-se ... curity.php)

EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Postby EssDeeAitch » February 2nd, 2019, 6:58 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
EssDeeAitch wrote:

You should be able to uninstall the Avast browser - go to your Windows 10 search-bar down in the bottom-left area (the little white circle...), and type -

uninstall

at that point, you should see a 'Best Match' option above the search bar that has 'Add or Remove Programs' in it - select that, and then make sure that you select the 'Apps and Features' option on the left hand side, and you should be shown a list of installed programs on your PC.

Look for Avast Browser, or Avast Secure Browser, or Avast SafeZone Browser, and remove it if it's listed there.

You're not the only Avast user that's unhappy with the install of this browser - Avast seem to have been particularly sneaky in side-installing this browser during the install of it's AV software...they are receiving a great deal of very public (internet) flak over it.....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess (who uses the free Comodo Internet Security Premium - https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-se ... curity.php)

Thanks IAAG - Avast browser now removed

torata
Lemon Slice

Postby torata » February 2nd, 2019, 10:09 am

EssDeeAitch wrote:I have the free version which may act differently top the paid for - I keep on getting "upgrade now" pop-ups which are intrusive but I suppose understandable. But I will be looking for further advice on its need.

I've used Avast for many years, but you're right that the free version is quite intrusive with its pop-ups. I set it to gaming mode, and no longer get the pop-ups. The icon in the system tray indicates if there are any warning messages (which to date, touch wood, have only been "you are switched to gaming mode")

HTH
torata

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » February 2nd, 2019, 10:33 am

I have used (past tense now) AVAST for many years but it became increasingly 'large' and seemed to have frequent updates
I asked here on these boards for advice
(a common ask from me)
and based no my limited useage of internet the best rec was DEFENDER which basically comes with Windows 10

I followed the advice (thanks to all again) and have had no problems at all

syrio
2 Lemon pips

Postby syrio » February 2nd, 2019, 12:21 pm

Just use Windows Defender which is already built into Windows.

StepOne
Lemon Slice

Postby StepOne » February 4th, 2019, 12:14 pm

Another one here who has used Avast and now got rid of it (I thought they had discontinued the free version anyway?). Now use Windows Defender which seems good enough.

Cheers,
StepOne

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » February 4th, 2019, 12:38 pm

Over the years I've worked my way through most of the free AV offerings and have recently dropped to Defender, but being on Win 7 I also have had to install Microsoft Security Essential to get AV.

It seems to work at the moment, though every now and then, after a reboot, Real Time Protection is off, but it does tell me.

Slarti

maximan
2 Lemon pips

Postby maximan » February 5th, 2019, 11:34 am

I have been away for a few days and have just caught up.
I have now uninstalled Avast and have checked that Defender is installed and switched on.
Thanks to everyone who replied especially Itsallaguess and mutantpoodle.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”