Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Tel. call then internet disconnects

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
madhatter
Lemon Slice

Re: Tel. call then internet disconnects

Postby madhatter » February 4th, 2019, 7:59 pm

For me they seem to come in waves, sometimes maybe two or three a week, then going quiet for some weeks or even a few months. Curiously I have only had one since before Christmas but I doubt the lull will last much longer.

Sometimes it is an automatic Dialler which rings various numbers and only has a few operators so most of the calls just have an empty line if you answer. It is quite efficient for the operative as they don’t waste time ringing numbers where there is no answer. Presumably some ‘lucky person’ answered before me and got the scam spiel and I got merely annoyed. Generally when that happens they will keep on trying until they get an answer, though by that time I am probably feeling ratty and disagreeable, and inclined to string them along.

Brother leaves his phone on answerphone all the time and that works for him.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 4th, 2019, 8:05 pm

Alaric wrote:Perhaps it's a mistake to occasionally try to wind them up by actually responding.

Look at it this way. You've answered the phone, so they know it's a 'live' number. From there, the only way you can improve your position is to do something at least mildly unpleasant to them so that perhaps they won't try it again.

I give them just enough feedback/simulated interest to get them started on their patter, then put the phone quietly down and let them witter away for 45 seconds or so until they figure me out. If they're going to waste my time, I'll waste some of theirs.

I did once have an Indian lady from "British Telecom", though, who hung on the phone patiently for 45 minutes. Clearly a beginner. I was almost starting to feel sorry for her. :lol:

BJ

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » February 4th, 2019, 8:08 pm

madhatter wrote:Brother leaves his phone on answerphone all the time and that works for him.

Before getting my phone with the BT Call Guardian feature I was getting junk calls several times a week. Since getting it I've had none whatsoever in over three years.

Highly recommended.

And now that providers aren't allowed to charge (separately) for Caller Display, there's no cost premium for using it.

Scott.

tsr2
2 Lemon pips

Postby tsr2 » February 6th, 2019, 1:26 pm

Alaric wrote:A line fault, either internal or external, seems the likely cause. Thus any phone call could trigger it.

Before looking for a line fault, check your microfilters. Microfilter problems are the most common cause for broadband dropping when a phone call comes in.

Is there a microfilter on all extensions? If there is an extension with no microfilter put a microfilter on it.

If all extensions have microfilters on them try swapping them for new microfilters.

DiviLuvva

Postby DiviLuvva » February 6th, 2019, 2:50 pm

Agreed that disconnect after call is probably a line fault- happens to me occasionally.

I deal with the "8nternet disconnection" calls by keeping a very loud whistle by the phone. I press 1 to talk to the "engineer" , take a deep breath and .........

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”