Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Malwarebytes Free

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
mc2fool
Lemon Half

Malwarebytes Free

Postby mc2fool » February 4th, 2019, 10:13 am

Like, I think judging from past comments, many here, I use Windows Defender along with the free version of Malwarebytes.

Malwarebytes used to do an automatic monthly scan, and I don't normally bother to look at it, but I've recently noticed that it hadn't done one for a while, and on investigating I find the reason is the last update, v3.6.1, in which they've "Removed default monthly Scheduled Scan in Free mode". https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-2823

Well, that's annoying. So, (thinks to self) should I ...

a) stick with v3.6.1 and just try and remember to do a manual scan occasionally, which, knowing me, won't be at all occasionally but more once in a blue moon, if that often indeed, or ...

b) drop back to the previous version, v3.5.1, accept that won't be quite as good as the latest, but at least know that it'll do an automatic monthly scan and so will be better than almost never doing a scan with (a), or ...

c) just give up on Malwarebytes.

So, I decided, for now at least, to go with (b), which is all well and good -- except for the very regular and annoying upgrade notifications, despite having "Notify me when full version updates are available" turned off.

Dug around and found https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-2465 and followed that (delete the C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\instlrupdate folder), but Malwarebytes soon afterwards recreates the folder and downloads the v3.6.1 installer into it, and then starts nagging me with upgrade notifications again.

So, I'm wondering if anyone else has discovered that Malwarebytes Free no longer does automatic monthly scans, and if so what choice they made, and if it was also (b), if they've found how to stop the regular annoying upgrade notifications....

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Re: Malwarebytes Free

Postby chas49 » February 4th, 2019, 10:23 am

mc2fool wrote:So, (thinks to self) should I ...

a) stick with v3.6.1 and just try and remember to do a manual scan occasionally, which, knowing me, won't be at all occasionally but more once in a blue moon, if that often indeed, or ...

b) drop back to the previous version, v3.5.1, accept that won't be quite as good as the latest, but at least know that it'll do an automatic monthly scan and so will be better than almost never doing a scan with (a), or ...

or (d) pay for Premium? (one-off cost to get rid of these issues and gain real-time prtection etc.....

I did that years ago and it's fine (on two computers) and survived past laptop replacement and Win10 upgrades (just keep the licence keys safe)

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 4th, 2019, 10:23 am

https://portableapps.com/apps/security
If you want to avoid having freemium utility/security apps 'installed' on your C drive, portable apps are a good alternative.

Some of the forums out there have more sophisticated ways of partially disabling free apps to stop auto loading/updating/messaging/phoning home et al.
I used a few with CCleaner when it decided to become a PITA on that front.

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » February 4th, 2019, 8:38 pm

mc2fool wrote:Like, I think judging from past comments, many here, I use Windows Defender along with the free version of Malwarebytes.

Malwarebytes used to do an automatic monthly scan, and I don't normally bother to look at it, but I've recently noticed that it hadn't done one for a while, and on investigating I find the reason is the last update, v3.6.1, in which they've "Removed default monthly Scheduled Scan in Free mode". https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-2823

Well, that's annoying. So, (thinks to self) should I ...

So, I decided, for now at least, to go with (b), which is all well and good -- except for the very regular and annoying upgrade notifications, despite having "Notify me when full version updates are available" turned off.

Dug around and found https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-2465 and followed that (delete the C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\instlrupdate folder), but Malwarebytes soon afterwards recreates the folder and downloads the v3.6.1 installer into it, and then starts nagging me with upgrade notifications again.

So, I'm wondering if anyone else has discovered that Malwarebytes Free no longer does automatic monthly scans, and if so what choice they made, and if it was also (b), if they've found how to stop the regular annoying upgrade notifications....

Use the new version and set it to run monthly in Windows Task Scheduler:-

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... start-page

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » February 5th, 2019, 12:37 am

supremetwo wrote:Use the new version and set it to run monthly in Windows Task Scheduler

Have you found a way of invoking a scan from the command line? As far as I can make out the Home edition of Malwarebytes doesn't have a command line interface...

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » February 5th, 2019, 1:16 am

mc2fool wrote:
supremetwo wrote:Use the new version and set it to run monthly in Windows Task Scheduler

Have you found a way of invoking a scan from the command line? As far as I can make out the Home edition of Malwarebytes doesn't have a command line interface...

No CLI on the free version.

Task schedule will get your attention if set to run mbam.exe monthly and then manual from there.

Should solve this:-

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”