Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

PC Keyboard Question

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
MaraMan
Lemon Slice

PC Keyboard Question

Postby MaraMan » February 4th, 2019, 4:15 pm

I have a PC running Windows 10, with an Intel Core i5 and 8Gb of RAM. It is not new but appears to be working well apart from one big problem. Recently the keyboard has started playing up, it won't type, and then after a few minutes what you have typed will appear all in a rush. Sometimes, and I mean several times an hour, this keyboard freeze will last for up to 5 minutes. I wondered if it was the wireless keyboard I was using so replaced it with a new one, but that did not help.

(the freeze just happened again for 3 mins when I only had Chrome running with one tab and nothing else).

I have checked the processor usage etc and all seems ok. I have checked the keyboard driver and I am told its up to date. The SSD which runs Windows is working fine. The disc drives are all fine.

I have seen some people have been complaining about keyboard problems with Windows 10, but the version I have has been installed since last May and only in the last month has there been a problem.

Does anyone have ideas that might fix this problem?

Cheers

MM

PS the mouse, which I have also replaced, becomes difficult to use as well, darting around etc.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Re: PC Keyboard Question

Postby Slarti » February 4th, 2019, 4:48 pm

Buy (or borrow) a very cheap USB keyboard and see if that is any better.

Slarti

Parky
Lemon Slice

Postby Parky » February 4th, 2019, 4:50 pm

I have exactly the same problems, and look forward to seeing if there is a solution. It seems to be worse when the computer (Lenovo/ Windows 10) is woken up after being asleep for a while. I don't think it's the keyboard or mouse, it's something the processor is doing.

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Postby MaraMan » February 4th, 2019, 4:52 pm

Slarti - thanks but I have bought a new USB keyboard and mouse and it has not improved things

Parky - glad to hear I am not alone!

MM

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 4th, 2019, 5:11 pm

Parky wrote:I have exactly the same problems, and look forward to seeing if there is a solution. It seems to be worse when the computer (Lenovo/ Windows 10) is woken up after being asleep for a while. I don't think it's the keyboard or mouse, it's something the processor is doing.

I have a Lenovo H50 desktop with W10 1803 and was having a few issues with screen freezes, keyboard freezes, mouse freezes et al.
I noticed that the Lenovo Vantage app had a new Intel graphics driver available for download/install a couple of months ago, so on a hunch I installed it.
Not had any issues since.

The other thing to look at would be the power options settings. I run mine in the high performance power mode, no wireless / USB/disk suspensions etc.
It's possible with things that 'poll' that if they get suspended for whatever reason you might suffer freezing issues.

Control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings. Go through the whole list and make sure the bits you want to remain on permanently are adjusted so. On a laptop/tablet it will increase battery usage, so beware.

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Postby MaraMan » February 4th, 2019, 6:45 pm

Thanks for the suggestions infrasonic, I have changed the settings as recommended and first impressions are good!
Cheers
MM

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”