Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

My emails diverted to spam folders of friends and colleagues

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Re: My emails diverted to spam folders of friends and colleagues

Postby bruncher » April 2nd, 2019, 8:24 am

I've left it too late to edit my previous post. Realise that I am wrong to suggest that text is 100% reliable; I have had texts go missing in transit. Speaking on the phone is best, but then you have to remember the call rather than having a written record.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » April 2nd, 2019, 8:38 am

bruncher wrote:I've left it too late to edit my previous post. Realise that I am wrong to suggest that text is 100% reliable; I have had texts go missing in transit. Speaking on the phone is best, but then you have to remember the call rather than having a written record.

You can get phone recording apps, I think you have to inform the other side you are recording if you want to rely on them for any legal purposes though (hence those announcements whenever you ring a big companies switchboard/helpline). You could use a speech to text app to generate a written record from the recordings.
I tend to follow up business calls with an email synopsis of the conversation, especially anything with legal ramifications.

I've used WhatsApp for business communications and it's popular with the 'younger' element (I'm 55 so don't really qualify...), a big plus is it is end to end encrypted and has an auto backup facility, the downside is it is owned by Facebook...

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 2nd, 2019, 10:30 am

Infrasonic wrote:the downside is it is owned by Facebook...

That might be considered an upside.

When a company is so much in the limelight, you can expect to hear about bad things they do. Even straying into a grey area won't go unnoticed.

AN Other might be getting away with murder if noone is looking. :?

</advocatus diabolus>

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » April 2nd, 2019, 10:45 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Infrasonic wrote:the downside is it is owned by Facebook...

That might be considered an upside.

When a company is so much in the limelight, you can expect to hear about bad things they do. Even straying into a grey area won't go unnoticed.

AN Other might be getting away with murder if noone is looking. :?

</advocatus diabolus>

I agree mostly, with so many employees the big players are always going to be susceptible to anonymous whistleblowers if they try and hide anything, but let's not forget FB had a plain text password storage alert the other day, and even if it was only really feasible for it have been breached internally, the industrial/state espionage angle shouldn't be downplayed with the tech titans, as they are all under attack pretty much 24/7.

In general I'm more worried about the smaller players as they just don't have the budgets to commit to all the cyber security issues.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » April 3rd, 2019, 10:53 pm

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”