Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

My emails diverted to spam folders of friends and colleagues

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Re: My emails diverted to spam folders of friends and colleagues

Postby JohnB » February 21st, 2019, 5:17 pm

The classic way these read notifiers work is to embed a reference to a one pixel gif with a unique URL in the message. If the message is read, the gif is loaded and the web server notes the fact.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » February 21st, 2019, 5:51 pm

JohnB wrote:The classic way these read notifiers work is to embed a reference to a one pixel gif with a unique URL in the message. If the message is read, the gif is loaded and the web server notes the fact.

Which, if you use Thunderbird, gets blocked by default. :)

Slarti

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » February 21st, 2019, 11:00 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:
bruncher wrote:Has anyone tried eM Client ?

I was asked to help a friend who uses eM Client because it had stopped working. The problem was that MS had changed some details of their email handling and it took no more than an upgrade to the latest version to make it work again.

RC

I'm trialling eM Client, so far so good.

Regarding helping your friend, did you upgrade eM Client or something in Windows?

I'm not sure how one accesses email via eM, on a friend's pc or hotel/library public computer .....

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 21st, 2019, 11:38 pm

JohnB wrote:The classic way these read notifiers work is to embed a reference to a one pixel gif with a unique URL in the message. If the message is read, the gif is loaded and the web server notes the fact.

Does anyone actually load remote content in email? Very bad practice!

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » February 22nd, 2019, 9:57 am

bruncher wrote:
ReformedCharacter wrote:
bruncher wrote:Has anyone tried eM Client ?

I was asked to help a friend who uses eM Client because it had stopped working. The problem was that MS had changed some details of their email handling and it took no more than an upgrade to the latest version to make it work again.

RC

I'm trialling eM Client, so far so good.

Regarding helping your friend, did you upgrade eM Client or something in Windows?

I'm not sure how one accesses email via eM, on a friend's pc or hotel/library public computer .....

I upgraded eM Client. I don't think you can access email via eM Client on another PC but don't take my word for it because I've never actually used it myself.

RC

kyu66
2 Lemon pips

Postby kyu66 » February 22nd, 2019, 11:08 am

bruncher wrote:I'm trialling eM Client, so far so good.

<snip>

You can't.

'eM Client', as it's name suggests is an email client application/program which needs to be installed on a computer. It will download and store emails onto that computer, same as Thunderbird and Windows Live Mail etc.

To access/send emails from another computer you need to use webmail i.e. your email provider's browser-based email service where you go to their website and login (as you stated in your original post.)

Using a combination of an installed email client on your main computer/phone/tablet etc plus the ability to use webmail when required offers the most flexibility.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 22nd, 2019, 11:31 am

Using a combination of an installed email client on your main computer/phone/tablet etc plus the ability to use webmail when required offers the most flexibility.

Using one or more of the big webmail providers (Outlook.com/Gmail) as an alias and aggregator address can help get around the two account limit as well with the free eM client.

Either use forwarding (with leave copy on server at the domain end) or better still set up IMAP in the webmail account to fetch email from the domains, and that way you have mirrored your email+folders in case of an access problem with your domain host at any point.

Aliasing can be used to send email with the domain address in case of domain provider SMTP issues (assuming you have that as part of your domain package).
Free Outlook.com will still let you do SMTP send, Gmail might be paid only now (I've still got it as a legacy hold over on free).
Many of the free webmail accounts won't let you do aliased SMTP send now because of the spam issues.

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » February 22nd, 2019, 12:26 pm

kyu66 wrote:
bruncher wrote:I'm trialling eM Client, so far so good.

<snip>

You can't.

'eM Client', as it's name suggests is an email client application/program which needs to be installed on a computer. It will download and store emails onto that computer, same as Thunderbird and Windows Live Mail etc.

To access/send emails from another computer you need to use webmail i.e. your email provider's browser-based email service where you go to their website and login (as you stated in your original post.)

Hmmmm the whole point of this exercise was to leave mail.com / 1 & 1. So I now have my own domains and some hosting and the eM Client. Who is my email provider? I guess it's the hosting company who provide email accounts as part of the package. The webmail seems to be the weakest part of the offer - they suggest customers use squirrell or horde to access email via the web.

kyu66
2 Lemon pips

Postby kyu66 » February 22nd, 2019, 1:23 pm

bruncher wrote:Hmmmm the whole point of this exercise was to leave mail.com / 1 & 1. So I now have my own domains and some hosting and the eM Client. Who is my email provider? I guess it's the hosting company who provide email accounts as part of the package. The webmail seems to be the weakest part of the offer - they suggest customers use squirrell or horde to access email via the web.

Are you talking about personal email or some business-wide/enterpise email system that you want to control/manage?

I am not familiar with Squirell or Horde (never seen them mentioned on 1and1 site - albeit my use is personal rather than business) but a quick Google indicates they are enterprise email systems that you set up and manage yourself on your servers.

I had a quick look at mail.com and I agree it looks naff - why is it giving me news stories on the front page. It looks like mail.com and 1and1 email offerings are not the same. So I wouldn't completely rule out 1and1 as an email provider.

Your usage may differ, but for what it's worth I use 1and1 (now ionos) and have multiple personal domains, each with the standard email provision bundled with the hosting package. I access the email almost entirely from my Thunderbird email client and from built-in apps on Apple and Android phones. I rarely use the webmail interface but the standard 1and1 hosting package email (i.e. for my domains) is ok - it seems this may be different for the email package you have purchased.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 22nd, 2019, 2:19 pm

If you want to front end your domain mail with something secure/private et al and stay away from Google/Microsoft ecosystems then have a look at ProtonMail Plus, the paid for option.

Swiss based servers, free VPN, two factor authentication, encryption.
Use it for web (browser) and phone access (app.)
https://protonmail.com/support/knowledg ... mail-plus/

I've just got a free (500MB inbox limit) account for sensitive emails. Free account won't work with domains though.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 27th, 2019, 4:40 pm

https://mailtrack.io
Out of curiosity rather than necessity I've just added the free Mailtrack add on to Gmail/Chrome browser, there's an Android add on for the Gmail app. too and it also works with FF, Opera and Edge. There's a paid for 'pro' option with more bells and whistles.

Gives a single/double green tick notification (a bit like WhatsApp) when delivered and then read, and a desktop notification for read and an email alert (which I immediately turned off in the online dashboard account settings...). Alerts to mobile app too.

It puts a signature at the bottom of the message...
Sender notified by
Mailtrack 27/02/19, 16:04:29
So not completely deceptive to the recipient.

I sent a test email to a secondary Outlook.com account (you can't track emails to yourself on other personal [your name] accounts), which does have the option of getting read receipts globally alerted/accepted or blocked in settings.
Mine is set to ask before sending a response, but it didn't alert me, so either I've blocked something with the edge extensions inadvertently (uBlock Origin et al) or it's a feature of the Mailtrack tracking service to ignore (which is a bit cheeky if so...).

It looks like Outlook.com has similar add ons too although the active user numbers are much less so they may be more buggy.
I might experiment there too, just too see.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 28th, 2019, 10:46 am

My domain hosts webmail has delivery and read receipt facility options, it's all old school mailer daemon type emails though, not at all practical for anything other than low email volumes.

The domain linked with the Gmail domain alias and Mailtracker looks like a good option though.

Switching my webmail accounts to globally block responses to read requests appears to have worked (if you hate the idea of senders trying to track this).

The paid for Mailtracker loses the signature informing the recipient of tracking, which is a bit Orwellian.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » March 1st, 2019, 10:57 am

I've just spotted an email from my bank (yes it is genuine...) that passed all the DKIM/SPF/DMARC filters (validated sender), but still ended up in the spam folder. It did have a noreply return address, so I wonder if that influenced it?

So it seems the webmail spam filters may be in overzealous mode at the moment (going back to the OP's original issue).
The overall amount of spam coming to the one account I have that gets inundated has dropped off dramatically in the last week or so.

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » March 1st, 2019, 3:57 pm

I'm committing to eM Client, it's a calm interface, nice design, and responsive support - so far.

Another issue I've come across is that my own-domain IMAP email only works on my Samsung phone if I use the Google app rather than the Samsung app!! The Google octopus is ravenous and insatiable!

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » March 1st, 2019, 4:19 pm

Infrasonic wrote:I've just spotted an email from my bank (yes it is genuine...) that passed all the DKIM/SPF/DMARC filters (validated sender), but still ended up in the spam folder. It did have a noreply return address, so I wonder if that influenced it?

The SMTP send was from ...https://www.mailjet.com/
Who appear to handle a lot of bulk email marketing for very large enterprises, so it's possible they are getting flagged as a spammer, even though the message source is my bank, who are address book whitelisted.

Having looked at previous bank emails it appears this change of SMTP is recent, and the reply address (NoReply@) is different so that may explain it.

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » March 20th, 2019, 2:10 pm

As the original OP, I'll take the liberty of asking one further question - having set up three new accounts for different purposes (we'll see how long that works), I will close my 1&1 Mail.com account. Currently I have it on Thunderbird (as well as Mail.com webmail and on my phone) with imap settings. When I close the account, I will want to keep all the mail. Should I change the settings in Thunderbird to pop rather than imap? If I leave the imap settings will I still have the emails accessible, after the account closes? I am assuming Thunderbird keeps some data on my machine and doesn't reload everything only when I start my machine or log in?

Thanks for any help.

kyu66
2 Lemon pips

Postby kyu66 » March 20th, 2019, 2:52 pm

bruncher wrote:As the original OP, I'll take the liberty of asking one further question - having set up three new accounts for different purposes (we'll see how long that works), I will close my 1&1 Mail.com account. Currently I have it on Thunderbird (as well as Mail.com webmail and on my phone) with imap settings. When I close the account, I will want to keep all the mail. Should I change the settings in Thunderbird to pop rather than imap? If I leave the imap settings will I still have the emails accessible, after the account closes? I am assuming Thunderbird keeps some data on my machine and doesn't reload everything only when I start my machine or log in?

Thanks for any help.

Closing the account will have no affect on Thunderbird other than it failing to login to the account on your email providers servers. Changing to POP is of no use.

You are correct in that all the email you see in TB has been downloaded and sits in folders in your TB profile directory, e.g. there is a folder for each account and within that the inbox, sent items etc plus any imap folders you may have created. You can browse your profile folder to see the structure.

If you want to remove the account form TB (so it does not try to access the mail server or try to send from that email address) you can create one or more local folders and copy/move all your emails into that and then delete the account from TB.

Local folders are great for archiving and/or removing stuff from your volatile imap folders and as another general backup of email.

See here for creating local folders http://kb.mozillazine.org/Local_Folders
Profiles https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pr ... -user-data

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » March 20th, 2019, 3:54 pm

bruncher wrote:As the original OP, I'll take the liberty of asking one further question - having set up three new accounts for different purposes (we'll see how long that works), I will close my 1&1 Mail.com account. Currently I have it on Thunderbird (as well as Mail.com webmail and on my phone) with imap settings. When I close the account, I will want to keep all the mail. Should I change the settings in Thunderbird to pop rather than imap? If I leave the imap settings will I still have the emails accessible, after the account closes? I am assuming Thunderbird keeps some data on my machine and doesn't reload everything only when I start my machine or log in?

Thanks for any help.

You could use POP in future as a safety for your new domain accounts if you want.
I run a couple of aggregator accounts with both online IMAP and POP mirrors. If you run a POP mirror with leave copy on server then it is effectively an archive of your inbox in case armageddon strikes your main account.
For it to work effectively you need to leave your domain inboxes pretty vanilla, don't use filters etc. And leave it long enough for the POP account to poll your main account(s) which could be hourly or more if using free webmail, if you organise your inbox email into folders too quickly you'll only get the IMAP mirror, the POP will become redundant.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » March 25th, 2019, 12:31 pm

I wonder if sending emails to multiple addresses generates dumping in spam folders. I have been keeping other residents up to date with developments re the ongoing battle with my county council over the classification and maintenance of our road and sometimes not all of them receive them. I noticed that 2 who said they didn't get the last one were with Hotmail. They never bounce back so I share the OP's frustration about not knowing what has been received by whom. In all cases, I had previously received emails from all those people and I thought once one was in someone's address book, nothing would be spammed.

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » April 2nd, 2019, 5:40 am

Bouleversee wrote:I wonder if sending emails to multiple addresses generates dumping in spam folders. I have been keeping other residents up to date with developments re the ongoing battle with my county council over the classification and maintenance of our road and sometimes not all of them receive them. I noticed that 2 who said they didn't get the last one were with Hotmail. They never bounce back so I share the OP's frustration about not knowing what has been received by whom. In all cases, I had previously received emails from all those people and I thought once one was in someone's address book, nothing would be spammed.

I am having to assume that email is simply less reliable than I had thought previously, or maybe it used to be more reliable. Text still seems to be 100% - perhaps WhastApp is also highly reliable but is regarded as social rather than professional.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”