Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Google Finance live

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
paradigm
Lemon Pip

Google Finance live

Postby paradigm » February 6th, 2019, 2:44 pm

The Google Finance prices, e.g. for the FTSE100 Index used to be live with briefly flashing green/red every few seconds indicating rises/falls. Recently, the page does not appear to be automatically updating but requires to be manually refreshed to see the latest price - the link is:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=INDEXFTSE:UKX&tbas=0&biw=1027&bih=596

Also, the earlier word 'live' is not there anymore although the refreshed price appears to be live (or at least within 15 seconds).
I use Windows 10 and Firefox x64 all with latest updates. I have checked with Chrome, Edge, IE and Opera - all with the same result.

Have I missed the announcement of a change or might there be a way round this?

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Re: Google Finance live

Postby MaraMan » February 6th, 2019, 2:45 pm

I think they stopped that a little while ago. I used to track my investments with Google Finance but moved to Yahoo Finance when Google said they would no longer be offering it.

MM

paradigm
Lemon Pip

Postby paradigm » February 6th, 2019, 5:13 pm

Yes there were some changes at Google but the Finance Index pages automatically refreshed until quite recently.

I have installed the Firefox Add-on: Tab Auto Refresh and it seems to work very well:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/tab-auto-refresh/

paradigm
Lemon Pip

Postby paradigm » March 7th, 2019, 5:06 pm

I have just noticed that the Google Finance price information is being automatically updated every few seconds again, as before.
I find this a good free to use facility for what appear to be live prices. No further need for Tab Auto Refresh in the meantime!

eepee
Lemon Slice

Postby eepee » March 12th, 2019, 2:13 pm

The Google Finance page does refresh automatically, giving a price and time-stamp for a query format of LON:EPIC

However it only updates when it has detected a change in price. It seems to be reasonably real-time.

This is of course, the middle price. I have not found a free site that gives Bid/Ask prices without the statutory 15 mins or so delay.

The old graph used to be more interesting because it included volumes. Nowadays all you get is green/red as an indication of whether the price is above or below yesterday's close. On the other hand the news links seem improved - less links to pages taking whole pages of drivel in order to gvie broker's views which they could have done in a six-line table.

I do have a problem. I have a program that monitors a block of prices from a site (currently ADVFN) and this runs on a spare machine. When something seemed interesting, I used to open a different program using Goole Finance in order to track in real-time. Alas - changes to google means that my program no longer works! And looking at the address line for a query, it is now huge and changes elements during calls. I don't think it lends itself to data-gathering any more. Maybe intentional!

Regards,
ep

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”