Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

My new wifi extender - is it dead on arrival?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

My new wifi extender - is it dead on arrival?

Postby bungeejumper » February 6th, 2019, 2:53 pm

Bungee Towers has internal stone walls that are mostly two feet thick, which means that I'll need to use a range extender if I'm ever going to get my new Roku TV stick to work with the household wifi. The trouble is, my newly-bought TP Link extender (TL-WA855RE) isn't delivering any signal at all - the lights are on but it looks like nobody's home. :( So, Netflix newbie question. Am I doing something wrong, or should the extender just go back to the shop?

The extender seems to pair up OK with the BT router upstairs - pushing the two WPS buttons gives me two solid blue lights, which is what the instructions say I should have. And so I have moved the extender unit out to a part of the house where it's still getting the two solid blue lights. But there is no sign that it's transmitting anything.....

Neither the Roku stick nor my laptop can get more than two bars showing - both of them with the correct passwords, naturally - but (critically, I think) it makes no difference whether the range extender is plugged in or not - from which I assume that they're just picking up the faint signal from the router upstairs? This is a bit weird, considering that they're sitting right next to the extender with the two full blues!

Hmmmm, I've tried resetting the extender by poking a paper clip into the reset hole, but it's made no difference. Anything else I should try?

Cheers

BJ

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: My new wifi extender - is it dead on arrival?

Postby Infrasonic » February 6th, 2019, 3:06 pm

Have you been through the manual?
There's a browser access bit in there which will probably give you more info about its live status as well as setting all the parameters like which SSID it is on et al.
https://www.tp-link.com/us/download/TL-WA855RE.html

If you've got thick stone walls I'd have gone the WAP route with something like decent powerline ethernet + wifi plugs. More expensive but...
Those wifi extenders can be a bit hit and miss in a severely signal challenged environment.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 6th, 2019, 3:26 pm

Infrasonic wrote:Have you been through the manual?
There's a browser access bit in there which will probably give you more info about its live status as well as setting all the parameters like which SSID it is on et al.
https://www.tp-link.com/us/download/TL-WA855RE.html.

Cheers for that, infrasonic, I am impressed (as always) by the heroic trouble you always go to to help us poor punters. But sadly this is one of those situations where TP-Link's American roots seem to be getting in the way. Those links refer to the American version, which is physically quite a lot different to the UK versions even though they carry the same product number. :lol: What a way to run a whelk stall.....

But it would probably be better if I get a confession off my chest. I fear that I probably lack the technical know-how to go right through the manual - nor, if I'm really honest, am I burning with the desire to try. ;) I am tolerably competent tech-wise, but as a mere mortal I prefer to draw the line at setting SSID parameters (whatever that means). And nor am I really keen to update the firmware settings. Dammit, if it won't work out of the box, why is it in the damn supermarket?

I'd also thought of using a wifi plug system, but if the Roku stick wants wifi then I suppose wifi is what I've got to give it? Or is that something else that I've misunderstood? (Very possible.) :)

Sincere thanks!

BJ

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » February 6th, 2019, 3:43 pm

Is it possible the extender is transmitting on either a different frequency or under a different name? We've had trouble with our plug in power line things where you end up with the router generating a wifi signal called say bungee1, and the plug creating another wifi network called say bungee2. Then the things that connected to bungee1 might be reluctant to change to a new network. Is it worth trying to reset your tv stick thing so it tries to connect to the strongest signal?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 6th, 2019, 4:13 pm

UncleIan wrote:Is it possible the extender is transmitting on either a different frequency or under a different name? We've had trouble with our plug in power line things where you end up with the router generating a wifi signal called say bungee1, and the plug creating another wifi network called say bungee2. Then the things that connected to bungee1 might be reluctant to change to a new network. Is it worth trying to reset your tv stick thing so it tries to connect to the strongest signal?

Could be worth a try, thanks Ian, but my laptop isn't seeing a second network, only the usual one.

I do know what you mean, about bungee1 and bungee2, though - I had that problem when I added a standalone wifi adapter so as to replace the useless internal adaptor on my desktop. I disabled the internal adapter, but to this day, every time Windows does an update it reactivates the damn thing and I get two adapters fighting for the same data. :lol:

Will give it another hour or two, and then it's going back to the shop. If it's logged on to the router (which it says it is) but it isn't transmitting a signal, then it's no use to me. I'm hearing bad things about what people say about TP-Link. I may have made a mistake in going for this one.

BJ

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 6th, 2019, 4:45 pm

I'd also thought of using a wifi plug system, but if the Roku stick wants wifi then I suppose wifi is what I've got to give it? Or is that something else that I've misunderstood? (Very possible.) :)

A wifi extender takes the current weak wifi signal and 'boosts' it (or not...).
They do work(ish) but I've never been that keen on them.

'Mesh' systems are similar in concept to the wifi extender but better designed plus some have a cabling option (which is always better...).

Powerline works over the mains wiring. So you plug an ethernet cable from your router into a powerline plug and then have one or more powerline plugs distributed around the house plugged into the mains sockets, pumping out wifi at a decent bandwidth.
Effectively negating the walls interference.
The decent systems aren't cheap when you factor in a few plugs, but it does work.

The other way to do it would be to run ethernet cables from your router around the house (it can be done discreetly...) to a few WAP (Wireless Access Points) which look like this...
https://www.ui.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lite/
That would work even better than powerline but maybe a hard sell to the rest of the household cosmetically...:)

Nocton
Lemon Slice

Postby Nocton » February 7th, 2019, 8:30 am

I agree with Infrasonic, powerline/'Homeplugs' are a much better option. Just buy a pack of two or three, plug in and your ready immediately as all the passwords are pre-set or set at the press of a button. Plus they have a faster speed than Wi-Fi - important now that we are moving away from the 2-10Mbs of broadband.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » February 7th, 2019, 10:48 am

For anyone with thick internal walls, a further rec for powerline (a.k.a.Homeplug) - unless you have very old house wiring.
For a specific recommendation, Google Solwise and buy:

- one 1200AV2 Smartlink 11AC WiFi, and one
- 1200AV2 Piggy Smartlink

(they are both made by Aztech, but may be labelled Solwise)
Usual disclaimers.

The first you plug in near where you need WiFi, and the second you plug in to your hub. After plugging in they will communicate automatically and you can plug a PC into the WiFi one (i.e. as well as using it for WiFi). The default setup of the WiFi one may work for you, but if you find changing the setup a but too techo, ask a friendly nerd - should take 5 mins maximum.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 7th, 2019, 1:43 pm

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/the-b ... e-adaptors
The best powerline adapters 2019: top picks for expanding your home network

Set up a price alert in something like...https://www.hotukdeals.com/search?q=homeplug
I've seen the Homeplug systems come up on a semi regular basis on a good discount to RRP.

Edit: One more variable I forgot if you have any coax wiring in the house running from room to room for a cable service like Virgin, you can run ethernet signals over it via adapter boxes. Speed wise it's the same performance as having ethernet wiring.
http://www.mocalliance.org/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_no ... rnet&ajr=0

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 7th, 2019, 2:26 pm

Hi guys, and belated thanks to all of you for all your help. I'm only sorry that I haven't been able to make more use of the techier recommendations - I've been reading up on how to check the IP address from the router (apparently there are two sorts, and you can have the wrong one, or something like that), but TBH I rather doubt whether I'd ever have the nerve to tinker in that department, for fear of killing the household broadband entirely. :lol:. Oh the joys of ignorance. :|

Let me ask you one question, though, before I abandon the enterprise. If I've got my range extender WPS'd to my router, and if it's showing two constant lights (blue in this case), then in theory it ought to be sending out a super-strong signal to any gizmo that happens to be near it, should it not? And if it isn't, then something's wrong?

Forget the Roku stick for a moment, and let me focus on how my laptop behaves. At the router upstairs, "Wifi status" on the laptop shows a signal quality of four bars; downstairs it gets three bars; and in the room where I want the TV it gets two bars (described by my mobile phone as "fair", or 73 mbps). Now, if I then plug in the wifi extender somewhere close at hand, and if it's showing two blue lights, it surely ought to be getting more than two bars. Shouldn't it?

Sadly, it doesn't. No matter where in the house I mount the extender, the signal strengths shown by all nearby appliances are exactly the same as if it was still unplugged and in the box. What does that say to you?

BJ

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » February 7th, 2019, 4:50 pm

bungeejumper wrote:...let me focus on how my laptop behaves. At the router upstairs, "Wifi status" on the laptop shows a signal quality of four bars; downstairs it gets three bars; and in the room where I want the TV it gets two bars (described by my mobile phone as "fair", or 73 mbps). Now, if I then plug in the wifi extender somewhere close at hand, and if it's showing two blue lights, it surely ought to be getting more than two bars. Shouldn't it?

Sadly, it doesn't....

The Laptop's WiFi status is only showing the strength of the the WiFi channel it is connected to and it is, from your description, still connected to your router. You probably need to disconnect the laptop from your BT router and connect it to the extender.

What you need for more detailed investigation is something that will show the SSID (name) of all the WiFi signals available and the channels they are on. WifiInfoView is a free utility from Nirsoft can do that.

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_info ... _view.html

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 8th, 2019, 9:00 am

Breelander wrote:The Laptop's WiFi status is only showing the strength of the the WiFi channel it is connected to and it is, from your description, still connected to your router. You probably need to disconnect the laptop from your BT router and connect it to the extender.

Thanks again, Bree. You're saying that the range extender is supposed to have a name and ID of its own, as distinct from that of the router which it's extending?

No, it doesn't have that - none of my gadgets are finding any additional names apart from the usual suspects in our house, and the only alternative that works even a little bit is my old friend "BT Wifi with Fon" (which is unsecured, and which I'd never use even if it wasn't limited to about 20 mbps).

So, effectively, I have no choice but to select the BT router's name. Does that tell us anything helpful?

BJ

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » February 8th, 2019, 10:04 am

There's always the reset option....
Pin in the reset hole for a few seconds, wait til LEDs flash
Wear thick rubber gloves, and be sure your will is up to date
(it's actually OK, and in the manual)

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » February 8th, 2019, 4:20 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
Breelander wrote:The Laptop's WiFi status is only showing the strength of the the WiFi channel it is connected to and it is, from your description, still connected to your router. You probably need to disconnect the laptop from your BT router and connect it to the extender.

Thanks again, Bree. You're saying that the range extender is supposed to have a name and ID of its own, as distinct from that of the router which it's extending? ...No, it doesn't have that...

According to the TL-WA855RE Manual when set up correctly it will use the SSID of your router. That doesn't mean it will use the same channel. In fact, if it did it would interfere with its own connection to the router. WifiInfoView should show two identical SSIDs using different channels.

If it has not been set up yet, or if you press the reset button to put it back to factory default settings, then it will appear as TP-Link_Extender.

Either way, WifiInfoView should let you see if there is a WiFi signal being broadcast by the extender.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 8th, 2019, 4:53 pm

Breelander wrote:According to the TL-WA855RE Manual when set up correctly it will use the SSID of your router. That doesn't mean it will use the same channel. In fact, if it did it would interfere with its own connection to the router. WifiInfoView should show two identical SSIDs using different channels.

If it has not been set up yet, or if you press the reset button to put it back to factory default settings, then it will appear as TP-Link_Extender.

Either way, WifiInfoView should let you see if there is a WiFi signal being broadcast by the extender.

Many thanks Bree, that seems to confirm that it isn't in fact a total dud. The extender has the same SSID as the router, and it has a different MAC address (obviously), and they're both on Channel 1. Is that supposed to happen? If not, what can I do about it?

For some reason, WifiInfoLink is telling me there is no MPS support for this extender, which sounds weird. And no, it says it's not connected, which I already knew. ;) Signal quality is fine, by the way (85-ish). Channel width is 40 Mhz for the extender, but 20 Mhz for the router.

LOL, my head hurts. :|

BJ

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 9th, 2019, 1:23 pm

OK, chaps, I know when I'm beaten. I'm packing it in for now - maybe I'll have another go in six months when I've stopped being angry? :evil:

Enormous thanks to all of you who have tried to help over the last couple of days. Bit by bit, I've progressed from thinking that the extender was duff to finding out that it is in fact broadcasting quite strongly - but that it seems to be conflicting with my router because they're both using the same channel. (One).

So just change the channel to something else, you'll say. The trouble is, unfortunately I can't, because the UK version of this extender doesn't appear to allow me the option of changing channels in the same way as the American versions clearly do. I've connected with the adapter's inbuilt GUI successfully, but it doesn't look at all like what's in the online user guide suggested by Bree, and whole layers of submenus aren't appearing. Every so often the GUI goes intermittent and sometimes it locks up my laptop completely - I think it's pretty clear that I've got conflict trouble going on big-time.

I'll spare you the rest, but trust me, I've explored every avenue and every possible sub-menu, and it just isn't ever going to happen on this particular gizmo. I'm wearing out my shoes from running around the house checking the screens, and there's simply got to be more to life than this. Such as digging the garden or pouring myself a restorative beer.

I'll let you know if things change. Thanks again. :P

BJ

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 9th, 2019, 1:53 pm

Admit an honorable surrender, get a refund/credit note and buy some Homeplugs... :)

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » February 9th, 2019, 6:54 pm

bungeejumper wrote:OK, chaps, I know when I'm beaten. I'm packing it in for now - maybe I'll have another go in six months when I've stopped being angry? :evil:

Enormous thanks to all of you who have tried to help over the last couple of days. Bit by bit, I've progressed from thinking that the extender was duff to finding out that it is in fact broadcasting quite strongly - but that it seems to be conflicting with my router because they're both using the same channel. (One).

So just change the channel to something else, you'll say. The trouble is, unfortunately I can't, because the UK version of this extender doesn't appear to allow me the option of changing channels in the same way as the American versions clearly do. I've connected with the adapter's inbuilt GUI successfully, but it doesn't look at all like what's in the online user guide suggested by Bree, and whole layers of submenus aren't appearing. Every so often the GUI goes intermittent and sometimes it locks up my laptop completely - I think it's pretty clear that I've got conflict trouble going on big-time. BJ

UK version here:-
https://www.tp-link.com/uk/download/TL-WA855RE.html

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/faq-2285.html

If you haven’t manually change the SSID of the extender, the default SSID will be the same to the main router, of add the “_EXT” in the end of the router’s SSID. For example, if the SSID of your router is “TP-Link_Router”, the default SSID of the extender would be “TP-Link_Router” or “TP-Link_Router_EXT”. So, you can just check the wireless list of your phone, to check if you can find the specific SSID of your Range Extender.
How to configure the SSID of the extender again?

You can login the webpage of the extender to configure it again, or just reset it and follow quick setup wizard to set up it again.

Nocton
Lemon Slice

Postby Nocton » February 10th, 2019, 10:29 am

Admit an honorable surrender, get a refund/credit note and buy some Homeplugs... :)

Seconded! You'll not regret it and you'll be in action within minutes of opening the boxes.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 10th, 2019, 10:33 am

Thanks S2, but aaah, if only! That's the User Guide that I've been using, and it doesn't match the GUI that I'm getting from this extender. Oddly enough, the guide also doesn't tell you how to change the channel - in fact, a word search for the word "channel" doesn't bring up a single mention, which I think is a bit weird, don't you?

Maybe you really can't change the channel on this gizmo? Of course, I suppose I could always try to resolve the (presumed) conflict by changing the channel from the router?

But that's for another day, I think, when I've regained my composure a little bit. Right now, I have other worries. The wife's Windows 10 computer got its October 2018 download overnight, and it's trashed all her settings. :| This must be my lucky week.

Thanks again!

BJ

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”