Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

printing off the pc

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

printing off the pc

Postby johnstevens77 » February 7th, 2019, 11:02 pm

I just bought a Cannon PIXMA MG3650 printer but I cannot print from the internet, when I try the message comes up that the printer is off line, make sure that the printer is turned on, however it prints a document from the pc. without any problems. I am using it without a cable and windows 7. I looked in the instructions but couldmake no sense of them.

john

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Re: printing off the pc

Postby GoSeigen » February 7th, 2019, 11:53 pm

johnstevens77 wrote:I just bought a Cannon PIXMA MG3650 printer but I cannot print from the internet, when I try the message comes up that the printer is off line, make sure that the printer is turned on, however it prints a document from the pc. without any problems. I am using it without a cable and windows 7. I looked in the instructions but couldmake no sense of them.

john

Can you explain what the difference is between printing "from the internet" which you say does not work, and printing "from the PC" which you say does work?

Do you mean you can print a word document but not a web page in your browser? Or that you can print using your PC but not using your phone or tablet? Or something else?

GS

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » February 8th, 2019, 10:49 am

GoSeigen wrote:
johnstevens77 wrote:I just bought a Cannon PIXMA MG3650 printer but I cannot print from the internet, when I try the message comes up that the printer is off line, make sure that the printer is turned on, however it prints a document from the pc. without any problems. I am using it without a cable and windows 7. I looked in the instructions but couldmake no sense of them.

john

Can you explain what the difference is between printing "from the internet" which you say does not work, and printing "from the PC" which you say does work?

Do you mean you can print a word document but not a web page in your browser? Or that you can print using your PC but not using your phone or tablet? Or something else?

GS

I only have a pc, no phone or tablet. I can only print a word or excel document, no web pages, I have to copy the web page to word then print but some web pages eg tables don't copy the same.
john

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » February 8th, 2019, 11:16 am

Which browser are you using?
In what way does it not print? Do you get the normal print dialog but nothing appears at the printer? Or you get an error message? Or you don't have any option to print from your browser?

Were you able to print on your previous printer?

--kiloran

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 8th, 2019, 11:17 am

The first A/B to try would be the browser, so try a different one to the one that won't print.
If it won't print in more than one browser then you know there is a more fundamental issue somewhere else in the chain, probably some sort of 'share' setting or something in the OS to make it visible.

With security being such a hot potato these days there's been a tendency for the hardware/software companies to issue updates that stop a lot of sharing/networking by default and you have to go and override it manually. Which is fine if you're technical but a PITA for everyone else.

modellingman
Lemon Slice

Postby modellingman » February 8th, 2019, 12:18 pm

Assuming that you are using your browser's print command then you should check which "printer" the browser is actually printing to.

Unless you have changed the printer in the browser's print dialog, it may well be trying to print to the old printer you previously used. Alternatively, it may also be trying to "print" (ie convert) the webpage to a file in pdf or some other format.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 8th, 2019, 1:39 pm

Another clarifier.
From the specs it doesn't look like that printer has wifi direct (no wifi router needed), so presumably you are accessing the printer via the BB modem/router wifi?

If everything looks OK in the browser settings as per MM's post (try his suggestions first), then try using a USB cable directly between the PC and printer and then try browser print.
You'll need a USB type A to type B cable, there should have been one in the box with the printer if you don't have another one to hand.
If it prints OK via USB from the browser but still won't work via wifi it's probably a networking issue.

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » February 9th, 2019, 12:02 pm

modellingman wrote:Assuming that you are using your browser's print command then you should check which "printer" the browser is actually printing to.

Unless you have changed the printer in the browser's print dialog, it may well be trying to print to the old printer you previously used. Alternatively, it may also be trying to "print" (ie convert) the webpage to a file in pdf or some other format.

Well, well, well. Thanks for that! It was indeed trying to print from the old printer. Problem solved for this old git!

john

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”