Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Can't access NAS Storage - Buffalo Linkstation

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Can't access NAS Storage - Buffalo Linkstation

Postby Clariman » February 14th, 2019, 10:55 am

I have an old Buffalo Linkstation LS-GL which was attached to our network, which was used as a local library of music files for our SONOS system. At some point it stopped working, got disconnected and we now stream music rather than use our library. I was about to throw it out but thought I'd take a look at it again. It has powered up OK but I cannot see it as a network attached device from my PC. Also my router does not see it as an Ethernet attached device.

So is it dead? How would I know? It powers up and the expected lights seem to come on.

I no longer have the Linkstation software installed on my PC. Do I need that to set it up? However, if I cannot see it on the network how would any software install?

Any clues appreciated.

Thanks
C

paulnumbers
Lemon Slice

Re: Can't access NAS Storage - Buffalo Linkstation

Postby paulnumbers » February 14th, 2019, 10:59 am

There are some instructions here on replacing the firmware on the device.

https://www.mysysadmintips.com/windows/ ... eplacement

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » February 14th, 2019, 10:59 am

Wahey - just downloaded the latest Buffalo software and it has found it. How does it do that when I cannot see it on the network???

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » February 14th, 2019, 11:03 am

Clariman wrote:Wahey - just downloaded the latest Buffalo software and it has found it. How does it do that when I cannot see it on the network???

It may have re-activated SMB1 protocol which was often required to see things like that, and which is now not recommended to be used due to various security problems.

Have a search for how to check if it is active or not as it it is a huge security hole.

Slarti

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » February 14th, 2019, 11:16 am

Slarti wrote:
Clariman wrote:Wahey - just downloaded the latest Buffalo software and it has found it. How does it do that when I cannot see it on the network???

It may have re-activated SMB1 protocol which was often required to see things like that, and which is now not recommended to be used due to various security problems.

Have a search for how to check if it is active or not as it it is a huge security hole.

Slarti

SMB1 is off, so that looks OK thanks.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 14th, 2019, 11:18 am

What OS are you using?

On more recent W10 versions (1709 onwards I think) SMBv1 is off by default now (you have to manually switch it back on), so it's possible the firmware update upgraded the NAS to a higher SMB protocol, which should be the standard procedure really for all NAS' as SMBv1 is not as secure.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » February 14th, 2019, 11:20 am

Infrasonic wrote:What OS are you using?

On more recent W10 versions (1709 onwards I think) SMBv1 is off by default now (you have to manually switch it back on), so it's possible the firmware update upgraded the NAS to a higher SMB protocol, which should be the standard procedure really for all NAS' as SMBv1 is not as secure.

Windows 10. SMB1 is off.

I don't understand why the Buffalo Linkstation PC software can see the device but my router doesn't seem to know about it! And neither can I from Windows Explorer. The Linkstation software does not do anything when I click on the Browse button so there is something amiss (I presume).

production100
2 Lemon pips

Postby production100 » February 14th, 2019, 11:26 am

And neither can I from Windows Explorer.

There is a known problem with Windows Explorer on Windows 10. It does not always see network resources even when they are there.

C

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » February 14th, 2019, 11:28 am

This is fun. I like problem solving.

• So Linkstation software from download gives me the management software and the manual but cannot do much more.
  • Software does show me its IP address.
  • Entering its IP address gives me another management layer which needs an Admin userid and password. Damn - that's me blown. Try the name of the original installed with no luck.
  • Quick google for the default userid and password. Bingo! Naughty installer
  • The plot thickens ... to be continued ...

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 14th, 2019, 11:33 am

Quick google for the default userid and password. Bingo! Naughty installer

First thing to change then!...:)

And check your router whilst you're at it.

Having those two on default user ID's and passwords is a great way to get hacked/malwared.
Last edited by Infrasonic on February 14th, 2019, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » February 14th, 2019, 11:34 am

Clariman wrote:Windows 10. SMB1 is off...

For older NAS devices like this one SMB1 is usually required as they do not support anything higher.

Enable the 'SMB 1.0 CIFS/Client' in 'Windows Features' and see if it then appears in File Explorer.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » February 14th, 2019, 11:36 am

Breelander wrote:

For older NAS devices like this one SMB1 is usually required as they do not support anything higher.

Enable the 'SMB 1.0 CIFS/Client' in 'Windows Features' and see if it then appears in File Explorer.

Is that safe to do, given the comments above about it being a bit dodgy?

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » February 14th, 2019, 11:55 am

Clariman wrote:
Breelander wrote:

Disconnect the internet at the router, then it will be safe :D

But before that, turn everything off, NAS, router, PC. Then restart in order router, NAS, PC and see if you can see it then.

Slarti

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 14th, 2019, 12:00 pm

Clariman wrote:
Breelander wrote:

Check the firmware update you applied and then Google it to see what it actually changed.
Many of the older NAS' just aren't being upgraded SMB protocol wise (Ooh buy a new one the manufacturers might suggest...), but there are other things you can do to make it more secure even if it has to be on SMBv1.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » February 14th, 2019, 12:05 pm

Clariman wrote:Any clues appreciated.

Buffalo do have their own support forums. http://forums.buffalotech.com/index.php

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » February 14th, 2019, 12:21 pm

Slarti wrote:Disconnect the internet at the router, then it will be safe :D

But before that, turn everything off, NAS, router, PC. Then restart in order router, NAS, PC and see if you can see it then.

Slarti

Tried that but all looks the same. I wonder if it is the SMB1 protocol not being installed? I'll take a look at the Buffalo forums.

In the meantime, is this kind of device for the bin anyway? I like the idea of having some NAS type storage so I could set up backups .... and it would be quite nice to get the 300 or so CDs that I ripped (from our own CDs) back into our SONOS library. But we've lived without for a long time now.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 14th, 2019, 12:27 pm

You'd also need to check out the Sonos forums as SMBv1 has been a hot topic there too.
https://en.community.sonos.com/search?q=smbv1

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » February 14th, 2019, 12:32 pm

Breelander wrote:

I had the same problem with my Buffalo NAS drives. I disabled it on Win 7 laptops after seeing a security advisor and the NAS's vanished. Put it back on and they came back.

Do you have an Ipad or Android tablet ? If so, install VLC and see if you can attach to the NAS. It works like a dream for me on both tablets.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » February 14th, 2019, 12:40 pm

Redmires wrote:Do you have an Ipad or Android tablet ? If so, install VLC and see if you can attach to the NAS. It works like a dream for me on both tablets.

Interesting. The VLC app on Android sees the Linkstation, I have to enter a userid which shows that it is working. However, it then says "This directory is empty".

I'm getting closer!

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 14th, 2019, 12:42 pm

In the meantime, is this kind of device for the bin anyway? I like the idea of having some NAS type storage so I could set up backups .... and it would be quite nice to get the 300 or so CDs that I ripped (from our own CDs) back into our SONOS library. But we've lived without for a long time now.

If you just want to use it for music playback it should be fine, but for two way file read/write I'd be more nervous.
It's the writes side that can get you into trouble with ransomware and the like.

If you locked it down as much as possible and used non standard ports then it would be 'safer' but it's your call ultimately.
Windows Defender has 'Protected Folders' as an option which can help with ransomware issues, not sure about NAS configuration, I'm sure Bree would know one way or the other.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”