Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Thunderbird on Win 10

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
fourtwentyfour
2 Lemon pips

Thunderbird on Win 10

Postby fourtwentyfour » February 15th, 2019, 6:35 pm

In Thunderbird I have some hotmail addresses, a gmail and a paid-for domain. You can imagine a list of email accounts in a list, in the left panel. I can use me@mydomain.xx or anything.more@mydomain.xx, altering the first part to suit.

The first email in the list is the gmail one.

Using the account me@mydomain.xx I can write an email and insert something in the anything.more part of the address, ie fred.bloggs@mydomain.xx, to personalise this particular email, and send it, all looks good. The sent folder contains the email with the correct 'from' address, fred.bloggs@mydomain.xx, from me, but it is in the sent folder for gmail, and a reply goes directly to gmail with the gmail address in the space where I put the anything.more. Do this make sense? The 'from' got changed to something@gmail.com.

How do I fix it, please? I want the ability to have multiple addresses in the anything.more space,and be able to reply directly to replies using the correct address without editing, if possible. In other words if I use fred.bloggs and have a series of emails and replies I want them to show me as fred.bloggs every time, and not revert to the gmail address which seems to be the case.

Thanks.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Re: Thunderbird on Win 10

Postby tjh290633 » February 15th, 2019, 8:29 pm

In my version of Thunderbird, the from panel displays the name of the account I am using. If I want a different account, I can select it from a drop-down list. I think writing in the account that you want does not move you to that account.

I've not investigated, so I could be wrong.

TJH

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » February 15th, 2019, 8:37 pm

I also use Thunderbird (also on Windows 10) and I must admit I haven't got a clue. I start by not really being able understand the question, sorry.

I think Thunderbird is a really good POP/SMTP/IMAP client (although I don't use IMAP)

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » February 15th, 2019, 10:26 pm

fourtwentyfour wrote:In Thunderbird I have some hotmail addresses, a gmail and a paid-for domain. You can imagine a list of email accounts in a list, in the left panel. I can use me@mydomain.xx or anything.more@mydomain.xx, altering the first part to suit.

The first email in the list is the gmail one.

Using the account me@mydomain.xx I can write an email and insert something in the anything.more part of the address, ie fred.bloggs@mydomain.xx, to personalise this particular email, and send it, all looks good. The sent folder contains the email with the correct 'from' address, fred.bloggs@mydomain.xx, from me, but it is in the sent folder for gmail, and a reply goes directly to gmail with the gmail address in the space where I put the anything.more. Do this make sense? The 'from' got changed to something@gmail.com.

How do I fix it, please? I want the ability to have multiple addresses in the anything.more space,and be able to reply directly to replies using the correct address without editing, if possible. In other words if I use fred.bloggs and have a series of emails and replies I want them to show me as fred.bloggs every time, and not revert to the gmail address which seems to be the case.

Thanks.

Identities?
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/using-identities

Using identities
When you create a new message, Thunderbird uses the default identity for the selected account as the message's From value.
Click the drop-down list in the From field to select a different identity.
The drop-down list will display both identities for the selected account and identities for other accounts.

Also Tools menu - options - composition.

Tick the box 'Automatically add outgoing email addresses to my' - collected addresses.

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » February 15th, 2019, 10:53 pm

fourtwentyfour wrote:The first email in the list is the gmail one.
--------
The 'from' got changed to something@gmail.com.

Are you sending via gmail?

If so, the Gmail SMTP server will ignore whatever from address you supply unless you add it in the Gmail web page at Setting -> Accounts -> "Add another email address".

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”