Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Apple ID on iPad2

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
GarraGee
2 Lemon pips

Apple ID on iPad2

Postby GarraGee » February 17th, 2019, 9:15 am

I bought my first iPad2 6 years ago and have been very happy with it.

I’ve now treated myself to a new 2018 model which i’m generally happy with, but, for the first time, I’m being “prompted” to sign up to Apple ID.

I’d never even heard of this before.

Is it just a means for Apple to send stuff they think I would welcome?

Just wondering if anyone has decided to do without and signed out of Apple ID.

Thanks.

GG

kyu66
2 Lemon pips

Re: Apple ID on iPad2

Postby kyu66 » February 17th, 2019, 9:36 am

GarraGee wrote:I bought my first iPad2 6 years ago and have been very happy with it.

I’ve now treated myself to a new 2018 model which i’m generally happy with, but, for the first time, I’m being “prompted” to sign up to Apple ID.

I’d never even heard of this before.

Is it just a means for Apple to send stuff they think I would welcome?

Just wondering if anyone has decided to do without and signed out of Apple ID.

Thanks.

GG

Creating an Apple ID is a way of creating an account with Apple to enable the use of Apple's cloud/email/App store and other services. Think of it like your registration to LemonFool which allows you to post.

If you never download paid for apps (I'm not sure about free ones), use apple email, have need for the 'Find My Device' service, use iCloud backup/storage or want to share documents between multiple devices then you do not need to create an Apple ID and then sign-in to Apple's servers.

Personally I use some of their services, namely synchronizing a limited set of data between devices, enabling 'Find my Phone' and I make use of the free cloud storage allowance.

I must confess to not being 100% sure how iOS updates work without an Apple ID, I presume one is not needed, but have never been in this situation. From your post it sounds like you never had an Apple ID, did you get iOS updates?

GarraGee
2 Lemon pips

Postby GarraGee » February 17th, 2019, 9:54 am

Thanks. I think Apple updates loaded without problems on the old iPad, but I can’t be sure, to,be fair.

TBH, I’m quite cynical about these things.

GG

kyu66
2 Lemon pips

Postby kyu66 » February 17th, 2019, 10:02 am

GarraGee wrote:Thanks. I think Apple updates loaded without problems on the old iPad, but I can’t be sure, to,be fair.

TBH, I’m quite cynical about these things.

GG

You're not the only one! I limit my use of cloud services to the minimum, and keep them under strict control, however, if you want to use some of these services you have to be able to identify yourself to the service provider. How much info you provide them with is a personal choice.

In my case, being able to purchase useful Apps, use payment services, location services such as Find My Phone and device sync are worth it.

madhatter
Lemon Slice

Postby madhatter » February 17th, 2019, 11:23 am

I had an Apple computer for years, but kept only local backups, so I never used iCloud and didn’t need to use Apple ID.

Now having more than one Apple device I keep some stuff in iCloud so it syncs between devices. Being logged into the same iCloud account also enables the Continuity features such as universal clipboard to work along with Find My Device and a few other features. For example if one device requires the login details for a router and is held near the other device that already “knows” them, being logged into the same iCloud account will offer to fill in the details for you.

More convenient for multi factor authentication as well.

On the other hand my brother also has two Apple mobile devices but seems disinclined to bother with it.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » February 17th, 2019, 2:11 pm

Some Apple apps like 'Pages' will not work at all without iCloud.

My recomendation is to setup an Apple ID but be very picky about what you allow to be stored in iCloud, in particular backups, by default it will backup everything to iCloud which apart from the privacy implications can quickly chew up all the free storage.

iCloud's encryption is currently supposed to be very good, unless you live in or visit China. But as with all these things that could easily change in the future.

Get a USB cable plug the iPad into a computer and back it up with iTunes - doesnt cost anything and you get to manage it.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » February 17th, 2019, 4:42 pm

Lanark wrote:Get a USB cable plug the iPad into a computer and back it up with iTunes - doesnt cost anything and you get to manage it.

The whole point of the Apple mindset is that you don't have to manage it.
Where are my files stored? - Who cares.
I know a lot of PC people who have spent a lot of their lives managing files have a huge problem with this mindset. It took me a long time to get over it.

An AppleID is used to buy Apps from the Appstore. Required even for free ones. Seriously have you never downloaded an App?
Buy music from iTunes, sync devices on iCloud, spend money with ApplePay...

Yes, you could get away without ever doing any of these things. In the same way you could own a car without ever having a driving licence, paying road tax or putting petrol in it. But that would rather be defeating the point of owning these very powerful devices.

Gryff

GarraGee
2 Lemon pips

Postby GarraGee » February 18th, 2019, 11:54 am

Thanks, Gryff and others.

Just discovered that I now have the same AppleID on both of my iPads.....DAK if that’s normal?

To answer one of your questions, I’m not really into Apps.....I have downloaded a couple over time and I do look on the App. store occasionally.

I will go into the Apple shop when I’m next in London and maybe book some time to, hopefully, clarify these issues (well, issues for me, at least).

Thanks again.

GG

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » February 18th, 2019, 12:21 pm

GarraGee wrote:Just discovered that I now have the same AppleID on both of my iPads.....DAK if that’s normal?

Absolutely. It ensures that all your apps and music are available on all your apple devices, and your data can be shared between them.

It isn't unusual for all the family's apple devices to be on the same ID, and thus to share music, apps and data. I believe you are now allowed up to 10 devices on the same ID. But it's your choice whether to make it family or individual.

Gryff

kyu66
2 Lemon pips

Postby kyu66 » February 18th, 2019, 12:33 pm

GarraGee wrote:Thanks, Gryff and others.

Just discovered that I now have the same AppleID on both of my iPads.....DAK if that’s normal?

GG

Yes, that is the whole point, synchronizing data across devices relies on using the same Apple ID on those devices :-) However, you are not limited to using the same Apple ID, you could have several if you wish and choose which to use as and when necessary (although most use cases are covered by the Family sharing, see below.)

The Apple ID identifies you. By using the same Apple ID when signing in to Apple's servers it allows you to download apps/films/music etc on to ALL your devices, regardless of which one you used to get/pay for it. E.g. download a book/film on your phone, read/watch on the train, then at home it is available on the IPad/Mac as well.

Note that you can use the 'Family' sharing so that a master ID can share apps etc across a household so you only pay once see https://www.apple.com/family-sharing/

As a previous poster mentioned, you seem to be only scratching the surface of what the device is capable of, these days they are so much more than simply a portable large(r) screen.

GarraGee
2 Lemon pips

Postby GarraGee » February 19th, 2019, 2:53 pm

Thanks for all the info.

I now find my old iPad has two AppleID's!!!!! one is the same as the new iPad and the second is based on one of my email addresses, which I've hardly used over time.

I'm thinking I will book some time at the iPad store when next in London.

GG

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”