Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

ISP=Plusnet & not sending emails through them?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Slarti
Lemon Quarter

ISP=Plusnet & not sending emails through them?

Postby Slarti » February 20th, 2019, 4:07 pm

I currently send my emails via my domain host auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk:587 and have just had an email from Plus.net saying that I need to change to relay.plus.net "to ensure your emails keep working after we've made our changes."

Anybody else got this?
Anybody else affected by this?

Does it make sense?

Am I going to have to change my ISP?

Slarti

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Re: ISP=Plusnet & not sending emails through them?

Postby Clariman » February 20th, 2019, 4:13 pm

I got the email but already use the relay.plus.net SMTP server so need to change.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » February 20th, 2019, 4:29 pm

Well I've found the answer, on the Plusnet Forum, once I remembered my ID

"The vast majority of our customers will need to take no action.

We're adding SPF records to our outbound mail servers and this simply means that if you're using a Plusnet email address and you don't use our outbound mail servers then there is a chance that the recipient's email provider will mark the email as spam."

That was a really badly worded message :x

Slarti

kyu66
2 Lemon pips

Postby kyu66 » February 20th, 2019, 4:38 pm

Slarti wrote:I currently send my emails via my domain host auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk:587 and have just had an email from Plus.net saying that I need to change to relay.plus.net "to ensure your emails keep working after we've made our changes."

Anybody else got this?
Anybody else affected by this?

Does it make sense?

Am I going to have to change my ISP?

Slarti

I see you have found the answer, however, FYI you should probably update your 1and1 settings with the new ionos settings.

If you login to your 1and1 control panel and look at the email account management section there is a settings section for each email account with the IMAP and POP server names/ports. It is a simple change to make on your email client apps/programs. The ports are obviously the same but they have different email server names. e.g. imap.ionos.co.uk and smtp.ionos.co.uk (note the removal of auth from the outgoing server name)

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » February 20th, 2019, 4:49 pm

kyu66 wrote:I see you have found the answer, however, FYI you should probably update your 1and1 settings with the new ionos settings.

If you login to your 1and1 control panel and look at the email account management section there is a settings section for each email account with the IMAP and POP server names/ports. It is a simple change to make on your email client apps/programs. The ports are obviously the same but they have different email server names. e.g. imap.ionos.co.uk and smtp.ionos.co.uk (note the removal of auth from the outgoing server name)

Now why haven't they sent me an email to tell me that? :evil:

Slarti

kyu66
2 Lemon pips

Postby kyu66 » February 20th, 2019, 5:23 pm

Slarti wrote:
kyu66 wrote:I see you have found the answer, however, FYI you should probably update your 1and1 settings with the new ionos settings.

Now why haven't they sent me an email to tell me that? :evil:

Slarti

For the moment it is not an issue, companies often maintain such domain names/servers to support legacy customers (for long periods, e.g. years), but eventually with less and less customers using them they 'turn them off' so they don't have to maintain them, much as Plusnet are doing.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”