Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

IFTTT, Hive Thermostat - based on weather or occupancy?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
AF62
Lemon Quarter

Re: IFTTT, Hive Thermostat - based on weather or occupancy?

Postby AF62 » February 23rd, 2019, 5:13 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
AF62 wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:

Some leases will allow it, and some will not. You do not know at this time, so why not ask before making assumptions?

Leases which don't allow it are not legal, so no leases do not allow it.

I've read in the past that this wasn't the case - although I should caveat that with the news that I'm not a lawyer...

Reading this site seems to suggest that tenants can't simply change locks of their own accord -

However, a tenant cannot simply change locks without notice. This can:

Breach the tenancy agreement - This can allow the landlord to evict the tenant. Tenancy agreements usually mention that tenants cannot make unauthorised changes to a property, so locks do not have to be mentioned specifically.

Constitute criminal damage - This is particularly risky if the lock was removed without any warning and doubly so if it was thrown away.

https://plentific.com/advice/changing-l ... ights-964/

Itsallaguess

That is a technology company's website which appears to be simply recycling material from landlord's forums (which are not exactly unbiased).

If a landlord did make the unreasonable request that the locks could not be changed to provide the tenant with security, then I think it not unreasonable for the tenant to ask for all the keys to be handed over and evidence that no duplicates were retailed elsewhere.

If the landlord did consider that a key be retained for those rare emergencies when they needed sudden access and the tenant wasn't at home, then perhaps permitting it to be held by a trusted third party who would notify the tenant when that key was released, provided of course the key was of a type which could not be duplicated without authorisation.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 23rd, 2019, 5:54 pm

AF62 wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
AF62 wrote:
As for a landlord suggesting the tenant should ask for permission to change the lock - that is an utterly unreasonable suggestion.

Some leases will allow it, and some will not. You do not know at this time, so why not ask before making assumptions?

Leases which don't allow it are not legal, so no leases do not allow it.

My house rental AST agreement from a very large EA.
LOCKS AND SECURITY
Before leaving the premises empty or unoccupied for any continuous period in excess of 14 days, to notify the landlord or his agent in advance and to fully co-operate and comply (and bear the fair cost of such compliance) with any reasonable requirements or conditions relating to the security or safety of the premises and its contents whilst being left empty or unoccupied.
Not to change any burglar alarm codes (if any) without the prior consent of the landlord or his agent. Such consent will not be unreasonably withheld. Where such consent is given, to promptly provide the landlord or his agent with the relevant new code. (In order to avoid misunderstandings or disputes later, it is strongly recommended that the tenant obtain confirmation in writing of any such consent granted.)
Not to change, alter, add to or otherwise damage any locks or bolts on the premises (except in the case of an emergency) without the prior consent of the landlord or his agent. Such consent will not be unreasonably withheld. (In order to avoid misunderstandings or disputes later, it is strongly recommended that the tenant obtain confirmation in writing of any such consent granted.) Where any new or additional locks or bolts are fitted to the property, to promptly provide the landlord or his agent with an appropriate set of keys.
If any lock or bolt is installed or changed on or in the premises without the prior consent of the landlord or his agent to remove them if so required by the landlord or his agent and be responsible for the fair costs of making good any resultant damage to the premises or spoilage of decoration.
To take adequate precautions to keep the premises, including its external doors and windows, locked and secured, and any burglar alarm set, when the premises are empty.

Feel free to go and argue the toss with the EA about the legal minutiae and interpretation of that.

There are implications for buildings insurance in an emergency situation where no tenant is available with keys and the agent/LL don't have any current copies at all (which was my situation).

It was the fact I couldn't access the property whilst it was vacant that annoyed me more than the lock change during tenancy per se. They should have put the old lock back before they moved out, so I could get in.

None of this has much to do with the OP's query about automating Hive though does it?

As ever a thread derail from pedants corner takes over...

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » February 23rd, 2019, 5:57 pm

AF62 wrote:
If a landlord did make the unreasonable request that the locks could not be changed to provide the tenant with security, then I think it not unreasonable for the tenant to ask for all the keys to be handed over and evidence that no duplicates were retailed elsewhere.

If the landlord did consider that a key be retained for those rare emergencies when they needed sudden access and the tenant wasn't at home, then perhaps permitting it to be held by a trusted third party who would notify the tenant when that key was released, provided of course the key was of a type which could not be duplicated without authorisation.

Thanks, and it's difficult to disagree with any of that, although it's also difficult to see how any landlord could guarantee his own emergency entry, or continued compliance with potential insurance specifications regarding the security of the building, if tenants have completely free reign over those security arrangements...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » February 23rd, 2019, 6:49 pm

Infrasonic wrote:Feel free to go and argue the toss with the EA about the legal minutiae and interpretation of that.

Ah, estate agents, that most trustworthy of professions.

Infrasonic wrote:There are implications for buildings insurance in an emergency situation where no tenant is available with keys and the agent/LL don't have any current copies at all (which was my situation).

So no difference to any other non-rented property where the owner isn't available.

And you seem to be placing a greater weight on the unlikely emergency situation which might never occur, to the everyday issue of the tenant having no security as they don't know who has a key to their property.

Infrasonic wrote:It was the fact I couldn't access the property whilst it was vacant that annoyed me more than the lock change during tenancy per se. They should have put the old lock back before they moved out, so I could get in.

Of course they should have put it back. I never argued otherwise.

Infrasonic wrote:None of this has much to do with the OP's query about automating Hive though does it?

As ever a thread derail from pedants corner takes over...

But didn't you raise the subject in the first place...

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » February 24th, 2019, 10:04 am

Back to home and hive automation if we could please :)

I have to say that if IFTTT is limited to a single condition then what the heck is the point? Surely it would be trivial to add in a bit of IF, THEN, ELSE or nested IFs or even a proper CASE construct? Maybe that should be Stooz and my next project!? ;)

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » February 24th, 2019, 11:50 am

Clariman wrote:Back to home and hive automation if we could please :)

I have to say that if IFTTT is limited to a single condition then what the heck is the point? Surely it would be trivial to add in a bit of IF, THEN, ELSE or nested IFs or even a proper CASE construct? Maybe that should be Stooz and my next project!? ;)

Or you could look at AutoIt https://www.autoitscript.com/site/autoit/ which I have used successfully with other software.

Slarti

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”