Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Disposal of a tablet or two…

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
BobbyD
Lemon Half

Re: Disposal of a tablet or two…

Postby BobbyD » March 3rd, 2019, 12:36 pm

Changeable wrote:I've had a unusable Google Nexus 7 lying around for a couple of years now, collecting dust.
Certain areas of the touch screen became inactive, so it was impossible to enter the password to be able to use it. The repairing cost made it uneconomic to buy a new screen.

Have you tried connecting a keyboard via the USB?

Regarding Samsung aftersales found them to be stand out brilliant with a freezer and a phone recently, although those were within warranty, as I'm sure was your fault you just couldn't get tot he store the same day.

Changeable
2 Lemon pips

Postby Changeable » March 4th, 2019, 2:11 pm

BobbyD

Have you tried connecting a keyboard via the USB?
I'm afraid that its too late now because I have dismantled the tablet and destroyed what I think are the memory chips with a wire cutter.
However, there was only one mini slot on the Google for charging the battery. Is this mini slot a USB slot as well? Certainly I don't have any keyboard that could connect into that slot.

I'll post a reply about whether or not Samsung could / would repair my tablet when I have heard from them.

As I said before, I'm not holding my breath...

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » March 4th, 2019, 2:29 pm

Is this mini slot a USB slot as well? Certainly I don't have any keyboard that could connect into that slot.

You can get cheap adapters/cables, male mini/micro USB to standard USB2/3 female OTG.
OTG (On The GO) is different to a standard USB cable which allows you to attach keyboards, USB flash/SSD/HDD drives et al.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go

Changeable
2 Lemon pips

Postby Changeable » March 4th, 2019, 4:25 pm

Infrasonic

You can get cheap adapters/cables, male mini/micro USB to standard USB2/3 female OTG.

Alas, this is hypothetical now because the Nexus 7 has been disassembled and various pieces destroyed. Good to know for next time though!

Pity, because it was an excellent tablet. Tablets are useful, but for the moment I am managing to live without one. If the Google is repaired, I shall carry on with it. If not, maybe I will buy a 10" tablet. True it's not as portable, but I mostly use it at home anyway...

Thanks for your help!

Changeable

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » March 4th, 2019, 6:13 pm

Changeable wrote:Infrasonic

Alas, this is hypothetical now because the Nexus 7 has been disassembled and various pieces destroyed. Good to know for next time though!

Well you learnt about USB OTG so not a total waste... besides if the touch screen was ropey you probably wouldn't have used it much even if you could get in to it. They aren't really designed with mouse and kb in mind.

OTG is useful though, you can even attach a hub.

Gaggsy
Lemon Slice

Postby Gaggsy » March 5th, 2019, 3:50 pm

Changeable wrote:staffordian

On a serious note, if I had a tablet which was definitely beyond repair, I would take the opportunity to dismantle it to see what was inside. I'd then smash anything which looked vaguely like a storage entity and then either dump it in the bin or take it to the recycling centre (aka local tip) depending on how environmentally sensitive I was feeling.

That's what I will do and after that it becomes e-waste...

Here's how to take it apart https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoDAg8mYYz4

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”