Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Laser Printer Recs

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
doug2500
Lemon Slice

Laser Printer Recs

Postby doug2500 » March 5th, 2019, 9:06 pm

Evening all,

I'm looking for a new all in one colour laser printer.

Has anyone got any recs? I'd like easy to set up and cheap to run.

While not cheap to run I've been quite happy with previous xerox machines and nearly ordered this:
https://www.printerland.co.uk/product/x ... 5dn/138524

It seems to get good reviews, except on amazon where it's gets a lot of negative for mostly connectivity problems. It also gets a lot of 5 star ones too.

It could be that some people are not it savvy enough to connect it? (and I might be one of them!)

Has any one got any comments, or other recs?

Thanks

paradigm
Lemon Pip

Re: Laser Printer Recs

Postby paradigm » March 5th, 2019, 10:10 pm

I recently settled for a Brother DCP-L8410CDW, also from Printerland. Very happy so far, excellent performance, great scanner and WiFi connectivity. After cashbacks, etc. finally paid £178.54 including VAT and free next day delivery. 3 Year guarantee after registering.

Genuine replacement toner cartridges are very expensive however reset gears are now available for the starter cartridges and economic refilling appears to be straightforward.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » March 5th, 2019, 10:18 pm

Brother are generally good, but if you ever intend to network this printer, as opposed to just plugging it directly into one computer - then check if is is compatible with SMB 2.0 or SMB 3.0

Some printers are still being sold which are only SMB 1.0, which means that the latest version OS's wont talk to them. SMB 1.0 is full of security holes.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 6th, 2019, 9:15 am

All of these available free of charge from IJT Direct: https://www.ijtdirect.co.uk/brother-mfc ... fax-417222 . Well, free that is, after you've paid £200-odd for four/five complete sets of compatible cartridges. (Which in my book is still a good deal. ;) ) My wife and I have been using IJT for maybe 20 years now, and we've only ever had one duff toner cartridge, which was instantly replaced.

We currently have two ageing Dells (1350/1760 etc) which both use the same toners, so that we only need to keep one set of toners in the drawer. It also means that if one printer should ever die - and lasers can do this without any warning once the fuser unit has reached its allocated lifetime! - then it won't be a disaster because we know we can still use the cartridges on the other one.

A pity, then, that the trusty Dell 1350/1360 series has been discontinued, because they were cheap to run and reliable. Will look into some of these recommendations, thanks.

BJ

doug2500
Lemon Slice

Postby doug2500 » March 7th, 2019, 6:31 pm

Thanks for replies.

In the end I went for this:
https://www.printerland.co.uk/product/x ... 5dn/138869

I must admit to being very impressed with printerland, I had a shortlist of 3 and I phoned up to see if they had any advice. The girl seemed very knowledgeable and steered me towards two of them saying either would be good. Then she suggested going up a range as the toner cartridges are bigger and cheaper per page. So I looked into it and thought she was right. Further to this is the fact that the more expensive printer has bigger cartridges in it to start with, which is probably worth £200.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » March 8th, 2019, 8:43 am

Found this How-To Geek article on the benefits of laser printers over inkjets.

And there are links to related articles including a group test.

Offered in the hope it will assist anyone who finds this thread in the future.

Watis

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”