Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Do Android Apps know your phone number?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Do Android Apps know your phone number?

Postby stevensfo » March 20th, 2019, 12:18 pm

I have a Huawei smartphone with only one sim card slot so when I'm working in Italy, I put in an italian Vodafone sim card. My usual UK Vodafone sim is stored in a much older and simpler Nokia that is not a smartphone, still works perfectly and which I love to bits!

If I want to download my Nationwide banking app via WiFi, does it matter if I have the italian sim card in at the time? Obviously, when asked, I'll give my usual UK mobile number they've had for decades, but is there any possibility of things getting confused due to the italian sim?

Yes, I know it would be simpler to swap the sim cards over, but my trusty old Nokia is close to falling apart and I fear that the next time I remove the battery and sim, it may well be the last time! :-)

Steve

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Re: Do Android Apps know your phone number?

Postby Urbandreamer » March 20th, 2019, 12:51 pm

As I understand it some/many apps have access to your contacts (phone numbers including your own), however they should ask and I doubt that the Nationwide app bothers.

Many banks are moving to "2 factor" authentication. They send a SMS to a registered phone number and expect you to use a number from that txt to allow you to progress. Naturally that won't work with a temporary/new SIM.

However as you will know.

Nationwide use a code generated by inserting your bank card into a reader and returning a number derived from your card and a number provided for that authentication.

Hence I don't think that you should have a problem if you use that method of authentication.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » March 20th, 2019, 12:57 pm

To be on the safe side why don't you just get your Italian number registered online with NW as a secondary contact number, then if the app does do a SIM number check you should be OK.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » March 20th, 2019, 3:01 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:As I understand it some/many apps have access to your contacts (phone numbers including your own), however they should ask and I doubt that the Nationwide app bothers.

Many banks are moving to "2 factor" authentication. They send a SMS to a registered phone number and expect you to use a number from that txt to allow you to progress. Naturally that won't work with a temporary/new SIM.
However as you will know.
Nationwide use a code generated by inserting your bank card into a reader and returning a number derived from your card and a number provided for that authentication.
Hence I don't think that you should have a problem if you use that method of authentication.

Thanks, good idea. When in Italy, I always have the other phone with UK sim in it, so won't be a problem receiving their sms.
Re. the card reader, I only ever use it for setting up new payments. For logging in I prefer to use the online security code & password method.

Steve

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » March 20th, 2019, 3:09 pm

Infrasonic wrote:To be on the safe side why don't you just get your Italian number registered online with NW as a secondary contact number, then if the app does do a SIM number check you should be OK.

Thanks, but I've learned the hard way that it's best for the banks to believe that I never venture any further than the beach at Dover. :-) Despite this being 2019, there are still some very narrow-minded morons employed by banks who think that if you leave the country for anything except a week in Benidorm, you must be an international terrorist and money launderer or wanted criminal. The observation that their own bosses seem to be permanently in court being sued doesn't seem to worry them one bit. :-)

Steve

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » March 20th, 2019, 3:37 pm

stevensfo wrote:Thanks, but I've learned the hard way that it's best for the banks to believe that I never venture any further than the beach at Dover. :-) Despite this being 2019, there are still some very narrow-minded morons employed by banks who think that if you leave the country for anything except a week in Benidorm, you must be an international terrorist and money launderer or wanted criminal.

Well the app may not be able to get your Italian phone number from the SIM, but Nationwide will certainly be able to determine that you're located abroad when you use it, by looking at your network address.

Having said that, I've used all my banking apps abroad with no problem, sometimes daily for weeks on end.

BTW I log in to the Nationwide app using my fingerprint. The card reader would only be required for setting up new payments.

Scott.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 20th, 2019, 5:07 pm

For travel, get yourself a VOIP number, and install VOIP software on your phone. Goes with you anywhere, regardless of what phone and SIM you have. I use CSipSimple with a free number from sipgate; other options are available.

When I moved house, I took my previous BT landline number with me, by attaching it to my VOIP service. Next time I move house (anywhere in the world), no action required: my number just stays with me.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”