Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

move from phone contract to payg

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
James
Lemon Slice

move from phone contract to payg

Postby James » April 1st, 2019, 10:54 pm

I have an old T-mobile phone contract that costs me about 12.50 a month. I've had the number for about 15 years, but in the past few years I've had a work mobile that has become my default number. But I've always wanted to keep the T-Mo one for the odd person that may have that number and not my work one, and because I'm not going to have the work number for ever.
But it seems paying 150 a year just to keep a number is probably more than necessary so I'm thinking of moving to a PAYG service.
But a quick search gives the impression that PAYG is now pretty much all bundles, which are no cheaper than what I already have.
Does anyone know of a service that allows me to port my number over and only pay for the rare calls I might make from it, i.e. a true pay as you go service?

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: move from phone contract to payg

Postby swill453 » April 1st, 2019, 11:01 pm

James
Lemon Slice

Postby James » April 1st, 2019, 11:13 pm

So, if I'm reading that right, I can send one text every six months and keep my number alive for a total of £0.04 a year?
Sounds like a result. Thank you.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » April 2nd, 2019, 7:22 am

James wrote:I have an old T-mobile phone contract that costs me about 12.50 a month.

I had one until recently. I chose to move to GiffGaff, which is more of a hybrid service than a true PAYG.

You can use it as PAYG, either topping up when you want or linked to your bank account to automatically top up.
Alternatively you can either grab a "goody bag" (ie £5 for 500Mb data 150min 500txt per month) when you want or get one by DD each month.

I got the new SIM, canceled my old contract and asked for a PAC code to move the number. It went smoothly.
A month later I got a txt from GiffGaff asking if I really wanted to pay them £10pcm (3Gb data unlimited calls and txts) as they thought that I could get by with only paying them £5.
The same a month later.
I've now changed the goodybag to a £7.50 as I'm willing to pay the extra £2.50 while I settle in getting to grips with my new data usage, which to me feels huge.

GiffGaff use the O2 network while 3 have their own as do EE (T-mobile). Network coverage can differ in some areas. You might want to check that your home is covered if you are slightly rural.

A point that may or may not effect you with either a 3 or GG Sim. ATM's don't recognise them as a top up option. Not a problem for those with debit cards, but my 14y son has to find a supermarket that sells top-up vouchers to top up his credit.

Ps, those with mobiles all use them differently. While I don't use a lot of data, I use data every day. Depending upon your usage your milage may vary.

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Postby todthedog » April 2nd, 2019, 11:33 am

My phone is on 3payg £10 refill has lasted 18 months still has £8 left, great deal. I like the idea of the phone but only use it for emergencies, I admit to being a grumpy old git
Mrs T on vodaphone online £8 a month unlimited text and minutes 4Gb of data, uses it everyday.
Hope this helps

JonE
Lemon Slice

Postby JonE » April 2nd, 2019, 11:54 am

Urbandreamer wrote:I got the new SIM, canceled my old contract and asked for a PAC code to move the number.

Take care with the order in which you do this. It's worth some preliminary research for the networks that may be involved.

There was a time when you could, on certain networks, only port in a number when ordering a SIM. I have a vague idea that TalkMobile was one like that. Things may be different now.

Another memory from long ago is that a PAC would not be provided once notice had been given to terminate a contract. The law may have changed since then. It was also the case that asking for a PAC was deemed to be giving notice to terminate a contract - separate notice was not required and could actually make a mess of things. Using the PAC within its validity period meant you could no longer use the service but still had to pay to the end of the deemed notice period. It was certainly the case that some networks would not permit a direct migration from their contract to their PAYG so one had to use a 'mule' network (Virgin was popular for this, IIRC) to port out to and then (after minimum period before they'd issue a PAC) to port from to one's final destination.

I'm not saying that any or all the above is the norm nowadays for any or all combinations of 'from' and 'to' networks but just suggesting that you check network-specific forums to ensure that you do the right things in the right order for your planned port.

Cheers!

James
Lemon Slice

Postby James » April 2nd, 2019, 12:21 pm

JonE wrote:
Urbandreamer wrote:I got the new SIM, canceled my old contract and asked for a PAC code to move the number.

Take care with the order in which you do this. It's worth some preliminary research for the networks that may be involved.

There was a time when you could, on certain networks, only port in a number when ordering a SIM. I have a vague idea that TalkMobile was one like that. Things may be different now.

Another memory from long ago is that a PAC would not be provided once notice had been given to terminate a contract. The law may have changed since then. It was also the case that asking for a PAC was deemed to be giving notice to terminate a contract - separate notice was not required and could actually make a mess of things. Using the PAC within its validity period meant you could no longer use the service but still had to pay to the end of the deemed notice period. It was certainly the case that some networks would not permit a direct migration from their contract to their PAYG so one had to use a 'mule' network (Virgin was popular for this, IIRC) to port out to and then (after minimum period before they'd issue a PAC) to port from to one's final destination.

I'm not saying that any or all the above is the norm nowadays for any or all combinations of 'from' and 'to' networks but just suggesting that you check network-specific forums to ensure that you do the right things in the right order for your planned port.

Cheers!

From what I can make of the Three website, it appears that I order a SIM from them, initialise it, then get a PAC from T-Mo, give it to Three and they will change my number to the SIM they have given me.
I'm well out of contract obligations with T-Mo but don't mind having to pay to the end of the next billing period, esp as the new phone will cost me virtually nothing other than the odd SMS or emergency call when out of my work service providers coverage area.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » April 2nd, 2019, 12:40 pm

JonE wrote:Take care with the order in which you do this. It's worth some preliminary research for the networks that may be involved.

Cheers!

I remember being cautioned of the same. However when I said that I canceled and asked for a PAC, it was in the same conversation and the contract continued to run until the time that I had paid for expired. Hence I could (in theory) have continued to use the old contract for a couple of more weeks. In practice porting the number prevented that.

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » April 2nd, 2019, 3:11 pm

James wrote:From what I can make of the Three website, it appears that I order a SIM from them, initialise it, then get a PAC from T-Mo, give it to Three and they will change my number to the SIM they have given me.

I moved a number from Asda Mobile to an existing Three PAYG account which had been active for months with some credit still on it.- as long as the Three SIM is alive, the PAC-in will work, and the credit on the Three SIM remained.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”