Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron, for Donating to support the site

windows folder layout

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
James
Lemon Slice

windows folder layout

Postby James » April 2nd, 2019, 10:41 am

I have a number of folders that contain voice recordings from interviews in mp3 format.
Windows, in an almost Apple-like disregard for my preferences, sees that the folder is full of mp3s, and decides it must be a record and thus changes the file detail columns to track number, artist, album etc. But I just want they date created, so I can sort them by when they were recorded, i.e., I want the folder to look like a normal file folder and not some music collecting obsessive's fantasy.
Does anyone know how to prevent Windows doing this.
I'm on a Windows 7 computer at the moment, but I'm pretty sure my Windows 10 one does the same thing.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: windows folder layout

Postby Itsallaguess » April 2nd, 2019, 10:53 am

James wrote:
I have a number of folders that contain voice recordings from interviews in mp3 format.

Windows, in an almost Apple-like disregard for my preferences, sees that the folder is full of mp3s, and decides it must be a record and thus changes the file detail columns to track number, artist, album etc. But I just want they date created, so I can sort them by when they were recorded, i.e., I want the folder to look like a normal file folder and not some music collecting obsessive's fantasy.

Does anyone know how to prevent Windows doing this.

I'm on a Windows 7 computer at the moment, but I'm pretty sure my Windows 10 one does the same thing.

This is related to 'Automatic Folder Type Discovery', which sounds great in theory, but as you've found out, can sometimes be a pain in the backside in reality....

There's some instructions here on how to turn it off and regain more control when viewing folders -

Windows 7: Folder thinks it is a music folder... how do I change that?

https://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/262524-folder-thinks-music-folder-how-do-i-change.html

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

AllYourBase

Postby AllYourBase » April 2nd, 2019, 10:55 am

Right-click IN the folder, choose "Customize this folder", and set "Optimize this folder for" to General Items.

James
Lemon Slice

Postby James » April 2nd, 2019, 11:21 am

AllYourBase wrote:Right-click IN the folder, choose "Customize this folder", and set "Optimize this folder for" to General Items.

That seems to have done the trick. Many thanks.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”