Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Invisible files

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Invisible files

Postby Clitheroekid » April 3rd, 2019, 1:17 am

I've been trying to locate a document dating back to 2005, but without success. The hard copy would by now have been destroyed, but I had a brainwave that I'd hoped might solve the problem.

I still have a couple of computers dating back to then which though unused for many years I've never actually got round to disposing of.

I therefore fired one up, and was surprised to see that it seemed to be working perfectly. It's running Windows 2007.

It's showing that the hard drive is virtually full, with 147 GB of data. However, when I clicked on the C drive to see what was in there there's hardly anything.

The `My Documents' folder was inaccessible. This appears to be because it's not connected to a network. At the time it would have been connected to a network, but it's all been changed since then, and I doubt I could connect it now. In any event, there would be no point, as I can already access files on the network anyway. The whole point was to see whether the PC was holding historical files.

If there's 147 GB of data on the hard drive it would seem that there is lots of information in there. But why is it hidden from view, and how can I find out what files are actually on the disc?

TIA for any assistance.

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Invisible files

Postby Julian » April 3rd, 2019, 10:21 am

Have you looked in the recycle bin? Perhaps the last act before you moved off that PC was to drag all your user files to the recycle bin but you didn't do a right-click and "Empty Recycle Bin" afterwards. Worth just double-clicking the "Recycle Bin" icon on the desktop and seeing what's in there.

- Julian

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » April 3rd, 2019, 10:42 am

There are a number of possibilities, some of which are discussed here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 3b02316954

I would guess, either a permissions issue or that you are looking at a 'junction point' as mentioned in the article

HTH

RC

production100
2 Lemon pips

Postby production100 » April 3rd, 2019, 11:16 am

Can you remove the hard drive from the old pc and connect it to the new one?

Much easier to access files that way.

Chris

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » April 3rd, 2019, 11:28 am

I use a program called Windirstat that shows a graphical interface of the files on a HDD. It's open source GNU.

https://windirstat.net/index.html

It takes a while to scan a large disk but it shows all the files that windows explorer may hide from view. Also, it might be worth running "Recuva" to see if you can recover any deleted files that look like the missing one.

https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » April 3rd, 2019, 12:38 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:I've been trying to locate a document dating back to 2005, but without success... I still have a couple of computers dating back to then... I therefore fired one up, and was surprised to see that it seemed to be working perfectly. It's running Windows 2007.

No such thing as 'Windows 2007'. Around 2005'ish it would be Windows 2000 or XP, Vista arrived in 2007. There is an Office 2007, perhaps you meant that?

It's showing that the hard drive is virtually full, with 147 GB of data. However, when I clicked on the C drive to see what was in there there's hardly anything.
The `My Documents' folder was inaccessible ... If there's 147 GB of data on the hard drive it would seem that there is lots of information in there. But why is it hidden from view, and how can I find out what files are actually on the disc?

Permissions, most likely. Which user are you signed in as? Is it an administrator? Each user only has permission to see their own 'My Documents' folder, the 'missing' 147GB may be in another user's 'My Documents'.

Open Windows Explorer. In XP (and Win2000, if I recall correctly) all the users folders are found in C:\Documents and Settings\ where there will be a folder for each user account. Inside each user's folder is their own 'My Documents' folder. If you are signed in as an administrator you can look at another user's folder, you will be asked if you want to gain permanent access if you try to explore it. Say 'Yes' and you will be allowed in.

There is also the 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Shared Documents' folder that's worth exploring.

By the time of Windows 7 'C:\Documents and Settings\' had been renamed as 'C:\Users' and 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\' became 'C:\Users\Public'.

JonE
Lemon Slice

Postby JonE » April 3rd, 2019, 3:13 pm

Redmires wrote:I use a program called Windirstat that shows a graphical interface of the files on a HDD. .. Also, it might be worth running "Recuva" to see if you can recover any deleted files that look like the missing one.

When dealing with a disk that is 'virtually full' and/or holding "deleted" files which I'd hope to recover then I'd not want to write to that disk (especially not to install apps) if it was avoidable. If it's not convenient to remove the disk from the PC then that's another situation where portable apps from a reputable source running from a USB stick can come in handy.

Windirstat: https://portableapps.com/apps/utilities ... t_portable
rcvPortable: https://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/rcvportable

Cheers!

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”