Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Open Office and Foxit Issues

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
madhatter
Lemon Slice

Re: Open Office and Foxit Issues

Postby madhatter » April 3rd, 2019, 2:42 pm

I don’t have OpenOffice but do have the very similar LibreOffice, developed as a fork from the OO project. OO can open PDFs in the Draw component and can save as PDF but by default saves as it’s own format xx.for word processing of xx.ods for spreadsheets. Draw allows some PDFs to be opened for editing but not all, and probably Foxit would be more convenient as a purely PDF reader.

I wonder if the file name problem is that it takes the first “.” as the start of a file extension? Could try substitution with some other character like an underscore?

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » April 3rd, 2019, 2:54 pm

madhatter wrote:I wonder if the file name problem is that it takes the first “.” as the start of a file extension?

Putting full stops as part of file names is always likely to be troublesome. Changing the program associated with file extensions is a Windows level thing. It's in Control Panel or its Windows 8/10 equivalent.

JonE
Lemon Slice

Postby JonE » April 3rd, 2019, 3:30 pm

Alaric wrote:Putting full stops as part of file names is always likely to be troublesome.

Especially if file extensions are hidden!

I believe that's the Windows default but that setting can be corrected by following various routes. Check the File Explorer 'view' options, for example. Precise details are probably version-dependent but readily discovered by a web search.

Being able to see the actual extension can make some other problems much clearer. ;^)

Cheers!

dragnips
Lemon Pip

Postby dragnips » April 4th, 2019, 3:17 pm

Putting full stops as part of file names is always likely to be troublesome.

Much better to name files using convention 'YY-MM-DD xxx.(ext)'. In that way they can be sorted in datal order.

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » April 4th, 2019, 6:00 pm

dragnips wrote:

Much better to name files using convention 'YY-MM-DD xxx.(ext)'. In that way they can be sorted in datal order.

My method is to use
YYYYMMDD_name.ext

Where MM or DD are not known I replace with xx

So a scan to of a letter dated "Feb 2019" would be called 201902xx_ScannedLetter.pdf

YYYY is used because I have documents from the last century, and I like "one rule for all"
Padding with xx is used so that sorted directory listings are consistent, and it means vaguely dated stuff turns up in the right place/order when I do a search.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » April 4th, 2019, 6:15 pm

pochisoldi wrote:
dragnips wrote:

My method is to use
YYYYMMDD_name.ext...

Did you know that the date order YYYY-MM-DD is defined as the ISO 8601 date format? (yes, I use it too, good to know we are all ISO-compliant :))

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”