Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Text Notifications from O2

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Text Notifications from O2

Postby bruncher » April 22nd, 2019, 5:33 pm

I have been many years with O2 for mobile phone provision. Am generally happy except they tell me they cannot switch off monthly bill notification text messages. They typically send the text in the morning, often when I'm having a rare lie-in, and it's intrusive.

Has anyone else been annoyed by this and managed to switch it off? Alternatively, can anyone verify another provider who does not disturb its customers in this way?

[if mods wish to move to a moaning old git board, that's fine]

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Re: Text Notifications from O2

Postby Slarti » April 22nd, 2019, 5:38 pm

My phone has a do not disturb mode and when that is on, only the people that I have flagged can contact me, so my wife and son and the home phone, nobody else. It stops calls and texts.

I think that it is a standard Android thing.

Slarti

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 22nd, 2019, 6:36 pm

Why not just turn off (all) notification noises on your phone? Makes life a whole lot pleasanter ;)

The only thing that'll make a sound on mine is when it rings. That's bad enough!

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Postby Steveam » April 22nd, 2019, 7:22 pm

There is a Do Not Disturb facility available with the iPhone. I have it set to not disturb between 10pm and 7-30am but to allow calls from favourites.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » April 22nd, 2019, 9:03 pm

bruncher wrote:I have been many years with O2 for mobile phone provision. Am generally happy except they tell me they cannot switch off monthly bill notification text messages. They typically send the text in the morning, often when I'm having a rare lie-in, and it's intrusive.

Has anyone else been annoyed by this and managed to switch it off? Alternatively, can anyone verify another provider who does not disturb its customers in this way?

Do they send you any other texts from the same number that you want to receive? If not, you could block that number

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » April 23rd, 2019, 3:56 pm

chas49 wrote:
bruncher wrote:I have been many years with O2 for mobile phone provision. Am generally happy except they tell me they cannot switch off monthly bill notification text messages. They typically send the text in the morning, often when I'm having a rare lie-in, and it's intrusive.

Do they send you any other texts from the same number that you want to receive? If not, you could block that number

The texts don't appear to be from a regular number that could be blocked. I don't want to switch off the phone or disable incoming notifications, because I want to be available (but not to O2).

So my original question stands, as to whether anyone has a provider that will, on request, stop sending notifications of bills by text.

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » April 23rd, 2019, 4:33 pm

bruncher wrote:The texts don't appear to be from a regular number that could be blocked. I don't want to switch off the phone or disable incoming notifications, because I want to be available (but not to O2).

So my original question stands, as to whether anyone has a provider that will, on request, stop sending notifications of bills by text.

I've been with ee for years (pay monthly, SIM only). They don't send any text notifications for monthly bills. Their marketing texts tend to be sent during office hours or early evening.

If needs be I can check the bill via the ee app, though in practice it is easier to text "AL" to 150 and ee texts you back with your extra charges above the normal monthly payment (and remaining data allowance).

taylor20
Lemon Pip

Postby taylor20 » April 24th, 2019, 12:32 pm

Ironically, I moved from Virgin to O2 partly for this very reason, (as well as Virgin PAYG prices being extortion).

The monthly "Top up £5 this month and get free texts, blah blah blah" text from Virgin Mobile (Pay As You Go), has not been replicated by O2 yet I just get a notification of balance after using up some credit.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”