Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

windows 7 end of support

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
scotia
Lemon Quarter

Re: windows 7 end of support

Postby scotia » July 3rd, 2019, 3:34 pm

OK - I bit the bullet and updated from Window 7 (32 bit) to Windows 10 (32 bit) by the free update route.
And now my Windows Live Email refuses to work! It downloads headers - and refuses to display the messages - saying that there is an error which may have something to do with resources (which it is not). On checking on the Internet, the Microsoft response seems to be to use their Windows Live repair tool - but, as other responders have discovered, this has absolutely no effect. One responder indicated that they had checked through all folders looking for anything to do with Windows Live Email - and deleting them, then re-installing - and that worked, but all of the email accounts had to be set up again. I deleted the c:\users\myname\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail folder that contains all of the email messages - and restored it from a backup which I made before updating to Windows 10. But this had no effect - so I have given up, and setup my email accounts on the Windows 10 Mail client. I'm not impressed - This has an extremely noddy setup policy, so I have no idea whether I'm using POP or IMAP. Maybe I should use Outlook.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: windows 7 end of support

Postby Infrasonic » July 3rd, 2019, 4:52 pm

scotia wrote:...I have given up, and setup my email accounts on the Windows 10 Mail client. I'm not impressed - This has an extremely noddy setup policy, so I have no idea whether I'm using POP or IMAP...

Set up new email accounts using advanced setup (from the bottom of the +account menu box, you might need to scroll down to see it) and it should let you do it the old fashioned way of entering everything manually, if that's what you want.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”