Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

win 7 -> win 10 mail...

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
didds
Lemon Half

win 7 -> win 10 mail...

Postby didds » April 25th, 2019, 2:11 pm

a friend is moiving from a win 7 desktop to a win 10 desktop - not via u-pgrade, a brand new win 10 system

All is going fine with the migration but she is stumbling - and hence I am :-) - over migrating the emails.

On her win7 system she uses windows live mail. On win 10 of course it the mail app that is indigenous.

A very quick google has suggested the two are not directly compatible, and that in cat migrating from win 7 mail to anything else eg thunderbird, is far from straight forward.

Has anybody any suggestions as to a msuitable, efficient and simple path?

She has multiple email folders in win7 mail if that makes any difference - its not just one simple inbox, sent, etc

(All this has made me wonder what happened in win7->win10 automatic upgrades....)

diudds

Nocton
Lemon Slice

Re: win 7 -> win 10 mail...

Postby Nocton » April 25th, 2019, 5:29 pm

I suggest that your friend takes the plunge and installs Thunderbird, then she will never have to face anything like this again when she changes PC. She'll also have a much better email system. When I upgraded to W10 I backed up and re-installed TB and all its folders and six separate accounts in a few minutes using MozBackup. As she will have two PCs, one on W7 and one on W10, perhaps simplest to install TB on the W10 PC with all accounts required and then emails/re-send from the W7 PC all the emails that she wishes to keep to her inbox. If its IMAP both PCs will see the emails, if its POP just stop the download of emails on the W7/Live Mail system.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » April 25th, 2019, 5:47 pm

didds wrote:a friend is moiving from a win 7 desktop to a win 10 desktop - not via u-pgrade, a brand new win 10 system

All is going fine with the migration but she is stumbling - and hence I am :-) - over migrating the emails.

On her win7 system she uses windows live mail. On win 10 of course it the mail app that is indigenous.

A very quick google has suggested the two are not directly compatible, and that in cat migrating from win 7 mail to anything else eg thunderbird, is far from straight forward.

Has anybody any suggestions as to a msuitable, efficient and simple path?

She has multiple email folders in win7 mail if that makes any difference - its not just one simple inbox, sent, etc

(All this has made me wonder what happened in win7->win10 automatic upgrades....)

diudds

Article here might help:

https://www.itwriting.com/blog/3552-ema ... -mail.html

You can download Windows Essentials from here:

http://web.archive.org/web/201604231921 ... up-all.exe

RC

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » April 25th, 2019, 5:51 pm

Are all the old emails still on the server(s)?

If yes then just IMAP that to the new email client. (Or as a safety/backup IMAP to another webmail service first like Gmail so it's mirrored on an entirely different ecosystem, you can always wipe it later if you want).
Using IMAP will preserve the entire folder hierarchy beyond just inbox et al.

In 'Mail' desktop client on W10 Settings/manage accounts/add account.
The 1st option is outlook.com/live.com/hotmail/MSN but it will then ask for a 'Microsoft account'.
If there isn't already one you can create one (it gives you more online admin options similar to having a Google account) or skip it completely and use the advanced setup/Internet email at the bottom of the options box and set everything up manually (assuming you have the relevant server addresses/log ins et al).
In the account type box you can set POP3 or IMAP4.

If there's multiple email accounts with different web services just keep using the add account and the relevant options thereafter, most webmail accounts can be semi automatically set up, you don't have to enter all the server adresses et al.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » April 25th, 2019, 10:21 pm

Infrasonic wrote:Are all the old emails still on the server(s)?.

No. there's a load of folders she's created with emails in and they are not on the sever so i think she must be using pop .

As it is on the new win10 PC I've set up thunderbird and that cant connect to imap (btconnect account) but can for POP. Seems there is something weird about btconnect and imap.... { i cant set up imap on my vista PC either for the same account, as a test or using another mail client. The credentials must be correct as webmail works fine... ]

I think i've found a solution - export from live mail as .eml files and import to TB using a TB add-on "importexporttools"

didds

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » April 26th, 2019, 8:35 am

didds wrote:
Infrasonic wrote:Are all the old emails still on the server(s)?.

No. there's a load of folders she's created with emails in and they are not on the sever so i think she must be using pop .

As it is on the new win10 PC I've set up thunderbird and that cant connect to imap (btconnect account) but can for POP. Seems there is something weird about btconnect and imap.... { i cant set up imap on my vista PC either for the same account, as a test or using another mail client. The credentials must be correct as webmail works fine... ]

I think i've found a solution - export from live mail as .eml files and import to TB using a TB add-on "importexporttools"

didds

Check the SSL/TLS settings for IMAP.
Most email services are using it these days but some are dragging their feet, so if the email client has it on by default and the email service doesn't use it yet, it may cause issues.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » April 26th, 2019, 10:00 am

Infrasonic wrote:
Check the SSL/TLS settings for IMAP.
Most email services are using it these days but some are dragging their feet, so if the email client has it on by default and the email service doesn't use it yet, it may cause issues.

yeah 0 I checked the setting BTconnect mails ervers expect and i set it what was there...

but its worth playing around with as you suggest indeed.

Ta!

UPDATE: No joy... Ive tried all the variations available in TB for both imap and smtp etc and no change. it just always reports there is an issue with the credentials - which is patently incorrect as webmail accepts them fine.

Hey ho.

didds

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » April 26th, 2019, 10:36 am

The pros and cons of Win10 Mail vs Thunderbird (and IMAP) have been thrashed out before: see viewtopic.php?p=195945#p195945

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » April 26th, 2019, 11:20 am

stewamax wrote:The pros and cons of Win10 Mail vs Thunderbird (and IMAP) have been thrashed out before: see viewtopic.php?p=195945#p195945

I use W10 Mail on my own main desktop and a couple of other W10 machines that I look after for other people without issue (now, it was awful for a long time, very buggy).

Full sync on multiple email accounts (including various domain, webmail services like Gmail as well as Outlook.com [AKA Hotmail]), calendar and contacts.

I have a load of multiple platform calendar subscriptions set up as well which I use for a hierarchical chain with Google calendar at the top ( I prefer it on my phone) and then Outlook on my phone and Mail (calendar) on the desktop as viewing only effectively. No issues.

The free Android Outlook app. (formerly Accompli) followed a similar trajectory, terrible for a long time but pretty stable for the last year or so.
I run the Android Gmail client mirrored as well but TBH I've not had any major sync issues (email/calendar/contacts) for quite a while now in Outlook.

Thunderbird I can't comment on as I don't use it regularly enough. I have it set up in Linux but that's more of an experimental thing rather than a daily driver environment which for me is W10 home /Android.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 29th, 2019, 6:37 pm

Link below to the step-by-step solution to this issue that the OP used to solve the problem -

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=17447

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”