Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Removing Shortcuts from Desktop

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Mike88
Lemon Slice

Removing Shortcuts from Desktop

Postby Mike88 » May 3rd, 2019, 5:57 pm

Have just downloaded my 2010 USA version of Quicken onto my new laptop. All went fine but during the installation process I now have 19 shortcuts of various descriptions such as Autorun, install, tools, dao etc which I want to remove from my desktop. I have read various supposedly relevant information online, but not only is it conflicting, it is incredibly difficult to comprehend.

My question is that if I right click on each icon and select "Delete" will I simply remove the items in question from the desktop or will I delete essential software that requires Quicken to work?

Failing that any other suggestions as to how the shortcuts can be removed? Needless to say I am a complete computer illiterate.

Many thanks.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: Removing Shortcuts from Desktop

Postby Infrasonic » May 3rd, 2019, 6:02 pm

My question is that if I right click on each icon and select "Delete" will I simply remove the items in question from the desktop

Yes.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » May 3rd, 2019, 6:20 pm

unless you actually installed it onto the desktop, in which case you probably want to un-install it and reinstall into program files.

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » May 3rd, 2019, 7:13 pm

Lanark wrote:unless you actually installed it onto the desktop, in which case you probably want to un-install it and reinstall into program files.

I think that must have happened. I had such a problem getting Quicken to work I don't think uninstalling is an option. Guess I better leave things as they are.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » May 3rd, 2019, 9:16 pm

Mike88 wrote:
Lanark wrote:unless you actually installed it onto the desktop, in which case you probably want to un-install it and reinstall into program files.

I think that must have happened. I had such a problem getting Quicken to work I don't think uninstalling is an option. Guess I better leave things as they are.

The problems were probably due to installing it on the desktop which is not a simple folder but actually constructed by combining the public desktop and your private desktop.

So I still think uninstalling and re-installing it will sort everything out.

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » May 4th, 2019, 1:08 am

Mike88 wrote:

There should be an arrow in the desktop icon if it's a shortcut to the exe elsewhere.

If you right click the icon, select properties from the menu, there will be a shortcut tab and the target box should show the program location,
e.g. for Word it shows "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINWORD.EXE"

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » May 5th, 2019, 4:26 pm

supremetwo wrote:
Mike88 wrote:

There should be an arrow in the desktop icon if it's a shortcut to the exe elsewhere.

If you right click the icon, select properties from the menu, there will be a shortcut tab and the target box should show the program location,

supremetwo wrote:
Mike88 wrote:

Thanks but please excuse my ignorance. Most of those I want to move from the desktop have arrows. If I right click and then click on properties it tells me the location is the desktop. Where do I go from there?

For the few icons that haven't got arrows can I assume I can right click and select delete?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » May 5th, 2019, 4:38 pm

supremetwo wrote:

Mike88 wrote:
Thanks but please excuse my ignorance. Most of those I want to move from the desktop have arrows. If I right click and then click on properties it tells me the location is the desktop. Where do I go from there?

For the few icons that haven't got arrows can I assume I can right click and select delete?

I don't think it's at all safe to do that, no.

If they've not got arrows then they are not short-cuts, and are presumably required as part of an actual installed utility.

Having read this thread, I really would seriously consider completely un-installing Quicken from your Desktop and installing it into the correct 'Program Files' location.

Hopefully un-installing it will remove all traces of it from your desktop, but at least after you've un-installed it, you know that you can then tidy up any Quicken-related desktop files without the possibility of causing issues to the utility itself.

I'm fairly sure that the potential re-install problems that you seem to be worrying about are going to be solvable with the help of this board, and you'll end up in a much better position than the one you seem to be in now...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”