Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Virtual Private Networks

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Watis
Lemon Quarter

Virtual Private Networks

Postby Watis » May 14th, 2019, 12:20 pm

I use VPNs routinely as part of my job so I understand what they do.

I am considering setting up a VPN for home use and am thinking of using OpenVPN, probably by installing FreedomBox on a spare Raspberry Pi.

I could use the OpenVPN client on my mobile phone, when connected to insecure public wifi, to VPN to my home router, then out to the wider internet via my ISP.

What I'm not clear about - and I may be overthinking this - is where OpenVPN connects to when creating a VPN from home? I've found nothing that suggests they are running a network of servers around the world like the paid-for VPN services provide.

Any advice welcome!

TIA,

Watis

kyu66
2 Lemon pips

Re: Virtual Private Networks

Postby kyu66 » May 14th, 2019, 1:05 pm

Watis wrote:I use VPNs routinely as part of my job so I understand what they do.

I am considering setting up a VPN for home use and am thinking of using OpenVPN, probably by installing FreedomBox on a spare Raspberry Pi.

I could use the OpenVPN client on my mobile phone, when connected to insecure public wifi, to VPN to my home router, then out to the wider internet via my ISP.

What I'm not clear about - and I may be overthinking this - is where OpenVPN connects to when creating a VPN from home? I've found nothing that suggests they are running a network of servers around the world like the paid-for VPN services provide.

Any advice welcome!

TIA,

Watis

There is no OpenVPN network of servers - if you set up your own VPN on your Pi it is a network of one server. All you are getting is a secure (tunnel) connection to your Pi/home router from your phone, so as far as websites are concerned your home router is the source of all requests.

This may well be very slow - access is limited to your home broadband upload speed and has the overhead of encryption at both ends. I used to run a similar VPN hosted on my NAS for emergency access to locally stored documents when away form home rather than for general internet access.

HTH
kyu66

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”