Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

win 10 monthly update for 1809

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
wickham
Lemon Slice

win 10 monthly update for 1809

Postby wickham » May 14th, 2019, 12:48 pm

I clicked update this morning (second Tuesday of the month) and the laptop started downloading cumulative update 1809 (KB ends with 3509) for April but I thought I had already got that. I checked and I had installed it on 13 April.

The laptop went on to install it again and both are recorded in the update history.

I was expecting the May update. What happened?

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: win 10 monthly update for 1809

Postby Breelander » May 14th, 2019, 12:54 pm

wickham wrote:I was expecting the May update. What happened?

You jumped the gun.

You are correct that today is 'Patch Tuesday', the second Tuesday of the month when routine monthly updates are issued. But they are issued at 10am local time (for Microsoft), Redmond, Washington. That is 6.00pm UK time.

wickham
Lemon Slice

Postby wickham » May 14th, 2019, 2:19 pm

Thanks for that. Before I read your reply I thought I would check up again to see if the May update was available and there was a new one - KB4495667 - which had the same description as the previous one except for the KB ref "2019-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1809 for x64-based Systems (KB4495667)". I thought it must be the May update where they had forgotten to change the date.

If both are April cumulative updates it's a bit confusing to use the same description and why wasn't KB4495667 available to me in April or earlier today?

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » May 14th, 2019, 3:10 pm

wickham wrote:Thanks for that. Before I read your reply I thought I would check up again to see if the May update was available and there was a new one - KB4495667 ...

Microsoft issue a monthly security and quality Cumulative Update on the 2nd Tuesday of each month (in MS jargon, a 'B' release) . This is the only cumulative update to include new security fixes. MS will also occasionally issue CUs in the third or fourth week of the month ('C' or 'D' releases). These contain no new security fixes, rather they are previews of the non-security updates to be included in the next month's 'B' release. As previews they will not be delivered automatically by windows update. They are optional and will only be delivered if you click 'Check for updates', as you just did. KB4495667 was a 'D' release.

Microsoft wrote: Most users are familiar with what is commonly referred to as “Patch Tuesday” or Update Tuesday. These updates are published on the second Tuesday of each month, known as the “B” release (“B” refers to the second week in the month), and are the only regular monthly releases that include both new security fixes and previously released security and non-security fixes. We chose the second Tuesday at 10:00 a.m. Pacific time to give commercial customers plenty of time to test the updates and deploy them to devices.

We also release optional updates in the third and fourth weeks of the month, respectively known as “C” and “D” releases. These are validated, production-quality optional releases, primarily for commercial customers and advanced users “seeking” updates. These updates have only non-security fixes. The intent of these releases is to provide visibility into, and enable testing of, the non-security fixes that will be included in the next Update Tuesday release (we make these optional to avoid users being rebooted more than once per month). Advanced users can access the “C” and “D” releases by navigating to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and clicking the “Check for updates” box.
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperi ... 9TQgf6c.97

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » May 16th, 2019, 6:19 pm

The latest update KB4494441 is installing twice - now 17763.503, last night it was 17763.475

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/window ... 376msgdesc

Resolution
No action is required on your part. The update installation may take longer and may require more than one restart, but will install successfully after all intermediate installation steps have completed. We are working on improving this update experience to ensure the Update history correctly reflects the installation of the latest cumulative update (LCU).

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”