Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Finding address in Map.Me phone app

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Finding address in Map.Me phone app

Postby raybarrow » May 23rd, 2019, 7:13 am

Hi,

My standalone Sat Nav(Garmin) is 2012, so looking to update, however the smartphone option is beckoning(especially those that do offline navigation).

Trying to compare HereWeGo and Map.Me phone apps (iphone version).

With HereWeGo I can easily search for an address 23 Acacia Avenue (Harry Worth fans will know) or a postcode - no problem.

Map.Me keeps giving me the 'Ooops! sorry can't find that address or postcode, but I can find it if the destination has a name e.g.'King Edwards School, Birmingham'.
Does Map.me not do addresses or postcodes as such?

Cheers,
Ray.

Gaggsy
Lemon Slice

Re: Finding address in Map.Me phone app

Postby Gaggsy » May 23rd, 2019, 10:29 am

Sorry, never used map.me so don't know.
However, if you want offline navigation Google Maps is an option. Of course you'd have to download the maps first (over wifi) but after that you can keep it stand alone.
Here's some info: https://ting.com/blog/ting-tip-download ... fline-use/

I visited Australia earlier this year and without a data plan managed to navigate the east coast from Sydney to Brisbane without a problem.

Garless
2 Lemon pips

Postby Garless » May 23rd, 2019, 6:43 pm

raybarrow wrote:Hi,

My standalone Sat Nav(Garmin) is 2012, so looking to update, however the smartphone option is beckoning(especially those that do offline navigation).

Trying to compare HereWeGo and Map.Me phone apps (iphone version).

With HereWeGo I can easily search for an address 23 Acacia Avenue (Harry Worth fans will know) or a postcode - no problem.

Map.Me keeps giving me the 'Ooops! sorry can't find that address or postcode, but I can find it if the destination has a name e.g.'King Edwards School, Birmingham'.
Does Map.me not do addresses or postcodes as such?

Cheers,
Ray.

Looks like maps.me has got very buggy or with a limited address database, works ok with gps. I use Google maps with the limited no satellite images on iPhone 5s as it is painfully slow with detailed maps, Apple Maps is a lot better than it was and faster when using simple road maps.

raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Postby raybarrow » May 27th, 2019, 12:34 pm

Hi Guys,

Think I might use both. HereWeGo is fine for navigating to an address and Map.Me is good for finding locations using a building name or similar.
Thought the maps on Map.Me were marginally clearer but the voice was not as clear and over instructed.

Cheers,
Ray.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”