Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Mac Mojave Spotlight

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Mac Mojave Spotlight

Postby brightncheerful » June 10th, 2019, 5:21 pm

Having upgraded from Sierra to Mojave (2015 iMac, 27" 5K, 32GB), Spotlight started playing up, intermittent indexing, Mail message find not working, Finder tags not working, etc. After scouring on-line for remedy including resolving uncommon problems, and following instructions including Terminal, running Onyx, Disk Repair, reinstalling Mojave, etc I think I've solved whatever was causing the problem. Activity Monitor (mdworker) is on my side at last.

However, I've not found what to do with the following files that I have moved from /Library to Desktop so I'm wondering whether ok to delete them?

_TagsMail.mdimporter
Envelope.index
Envelope.index-shm
Envelope.index-wal
Folder: com.apple.MailServiceAgent (containing sub-folder Date and further sub-fokders)
Folder: com.apple.mail (ditto)

tia
Bnc

kyu66
2 Lemon pips

Re: Mac Mojave Spotlight

Postby kyu66 » June 11th, 2019, 9:33 am

brightncheerful wrote:Having upgraded from Sierra to Mojave (2015 iMac, 27" 5K, 32GB), Spotlight started playing up, intermittent indexing, Mail message find not working, Finder tags not working, etc. After scouring on-line for remedy including resolving uncommon problems, and following instructions including Terminal, running Onyx, Disk Repair, reinstalling Mojave, etc I think I've solved whatever was causing the problem. Activity Monitor (mdworker) is on my side at last.

However, I've not found what to do with the following files that I have moved from /Library to Desktop so I'm wondering whether ok to delete them?

_TagsMail.mdimporter
Envelope.index
Envelope.index-shm
Envelope.index-wal
Folder: com.apple.MailServiceAgent (containing sub-folder Date and further sub-fokders)
Folder: com.apple.mail (ditto)

tia
Bnc

If everything is now working as expected then it is safe to delete these files. Moving them to the Desktop forced them to be re-created when the Mail app was restarted.

As a sanity check you could verify the existence of the newly created files and check their sizes are similar to the ones on the Desktop just to be sure.

HTH
kyu66

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Re: Mac Mojave Spotlight

Postby brightncheerful » June 13th, 2019, 11:23 am

Thank you.

Now all i've got to do is remember which (hidden) folders those files were in! :)

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”