Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Vodafone and Disqus

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Vodafone and Disqus

Postby Nimrod103 » June 15th, 2019, 10:19 pm

Last week we moved our ISP to Vodafone, since when Disqus no longer works. From a search on Google, somebody else has had the same problem, but I did not understand the answer given, which was:

if you are using Vodafones DNS servers try using googles DNS servers 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4

Can anybody explain what this means, and what I should do in order to access Discus comments again?

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: Vodafone and Disqus

Postby Breelander » June 16th, 2019, 12:34 am

Nimrod103 wrote:if you are using Vodafones DNS servers try using googles DNS servers 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4

Can anybody explain what this means..?

When your browser wants to load a url, it needs to first find the IP address of the server. You may think your browser is currently loading pages from Lemonfool.co.uk, but that's just the domain name, the browser is actually asking for data from its IP address 185.119.173.171. To get the IP address, your PC sends the domain name to your ISP's Domain Name Server (DNS) and it returns the IP address to use. Sounds like Vodafone's DNS does not hold an IP address for Disqus.

By default when you connect your PC to your router you will use the ISP's DNS. Normally that should work fine, but you are free to use another if you wish. Many choose to do so for privacy reasons (your ISP's DNS will know all the web addresses you browse).

The How-To Geek explains DNS servers (and the security concerns) in more detail here:

https://www.howtogeek.com/122845/htg-ex ... at-is-dns/

Apart from the Google DNS you mentioned (do you want Google to know all the sites you visit?) there are others, such as 1.1.1.1. Full instruction on how to change to that (or any other) DNS are given here:

https://1.1.1.1/dns/#explanation

And here's the How-To Geek's take on 1.1.1.1

https://www.howtogeek.com/fyi/cloudflar ... ou-use-it/
Last edited by Breelander on June 16th, 2019, 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 16th, 2019, 12:48 am

If the problem is DNS then using google's DNS will fix it. You can test whether it is DNS by going to the domain itself: if you see the site you expect then DNS is not the problem; if you don't then it probably is.

You can probably find a configuration setting in your router to override the default DNS (aka Nameservers) and use google's. Or else you can set it in /etc/resolv.conf, or whatever else your operating system calls it. Or better still, install djbdns and run your own local dnscache.

Did your googling indicate that this problem might have been going on for some time? If it's more than a very transient issue, it raises serious questions about WTF your ISP is doing. You might need to opt out of things like "parental controls" or "protection from evil sites".

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » June 16th, 2019, 2:34 pm

Disqus can get blocked by third party browser extensions like uBlock Origin/Ghostery et al which see it as a potential Javascript privacy issue.
I've had that occur previously and generally whitelist websites where I want to maintain a working Disqus presence (not many tbf).
You might need to whitelist a 3rd party cookie for it if you want to maintain log in automation too. Again you can do that at the individual site level if third party cookies are globally blocked (mine are across all my browsers).

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » June 17th, 2019, 8:40 am

Thanks for all the responses. I realized is was a router problem because it happened when I changed to Vodafone, and was also affecting my iPad running Safari. I changed the DNS to 1.1.1.1, and now it works OK.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » June 17th, 2019, 12:48 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:Thanks for all the responses. I realized is was a router problem because it happened when I changed to Vodafone, and was also affecting my iPad running Safari. I changed the DNS to 1.1.1.1, and now it works OK.

I use 1.1.1.1 as my primary and 8.8.8.8 as the secondary in case of any DNS issues.
You can get 1.1.1.1 apps for iOS and Android too if you want to continue to use it outside your home router situation, I have it on my phone with the TLS encryption option selected.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » June 17th, 2019, 3:01 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:Thanks for all the responses. I realized is was a router problem because it happened when I changed to Vodafone, and was also affecting my iPad running Safari. I changed the DNS to 1.1.1.1, and now it works OK.

Great news, thanks for the update.

Out of interest, could you change it at your router so that all your devices would use it? That's not an option on my BT Hub, so I'd have to change it at each device.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » June 17th, 2019, 3:28 pm

Breelander wrote:

Great news, thanks for the update.

Out of interest, could you change it at your router so that all your devices would use it? That's not an option on my BT Hub, so I'd have to change it at each device.

I've done it on my sisters EE Bright Box 2 router without issue, it's actually surprisingly configurable for an ISP supplied router.

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » June 18th, 2019, 6:55 am

Infrasonic wrote:You can get 1.1.1.1 apps for iOS and Android too if you want to continue to use it outside your home router situation.

It's worth noting that with Android Pie it can be done without the need for an app:

https://blog.cloudflare.com/enable-priv ... oid-9-pie/

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » June 18th, 2019, 11:36 am

Stompa wrote:
Infrasonic wrote:You can get 1.1.1.1 apps for iOS and Android too if you want to continue to use it outside your home router situation.

It's worth noting that with Android Pie it can be done without the need for an app:

https://blog.cloudflare.com/enable-priv ... oid-9-pie/

I think VPN is a lot easier on more recent Android versions as well. (I'm stuck on Marshmallow).

If you root older Android phones you can do it with many DNS apps (I looked into that and decided against it), but obviously rooting has its own issues for security and updates integrity.

There are a few no root DNS apps that I tried but they were very flaky and generally only do the wifi bit rather than the 3/4G as well.
The Cloudflare app was the first that was consistent for me, although you sometimes have to manually re-engage it after the app updates or you reboot the phone, which they'll fix soon hopefully. The app has a simple toggle on/off home screen switch, so very easy to use as you please.

Cloudflare are bringing out a companion VPN app soon (Warp)...https://blog.cloudflare.com/1111-warp-better-vpn/
I'm #165089 on the waiting list...

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » June 18th, 2019, 2:49 pm

Infrasonic wrote:There are a few no root DNS apps that I tried but they were very flaky and generally only do the wifi bit rather than the 3/4G as well.

I was previously using this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... nger&hl=en

which seemed to work just fine.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » June 19th, 2019, 10:21 am

Stompa wrote:
Infrasonic wrote:There are a few no root DNS apps that I tried but they were very flaky and generally only do the wifi bit rather than the 3/4G as well.

I was previously using this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... nger&hl=en

which seemed to work just fine.

I checked my library list in the Play Store, I'd already tried out that app. option and uninstalled it, can't remember the exact reasons.(It may have been you who initially recommended it to me the first time around, here on TLF or maybe TMF?).
I've since factory reset my phone (much better) so it may have been my end making it a bit flaky.

So far I'm happy with the Cloudflare app. seems consistent.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”